Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Discuss Episodes 7-9 here.
DblDwn

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by DblDwn »

Anyone else think the shot of Phasma and the troopers walking through the debris is after the hangar explosion with Poe and BB-8? Could mirror "Imperial Troops have entered the base......" from Empire.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

RedMirax wrote: April 14th, 2017, 8:55 pm My husband thinks it's Kylo saying the Jedi must end. I thought it was Luke.
It sounds as if it's both! The dialogue seems to have been spliced together.
Blizzard

Post by Blizzard »

RedMirax wrote: April 14th, 2017, 8:55 pm My husband thinks it's Kylo saying the Jedi must end. I thought it was Luke.
A friend on FB tried to tell me it wasn't Luke, too. But his mouth moves to the words.
Keeping kittens warm since 1998.
Blizzard

Post by Blizzard »

They analyze the whole trailer in this video. Verrrrry interesting. My favorite part is that it really does look like Yoda is helping train Rey.
https://youtu.be/7ii2NBGOX58
Keeping kittens warm since 1998.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

DblDwn wrote: April 15th, 2017, 12:05 am Anyone else think the shot of Phasma and the troopers walking through the debris is after the hangar explosion with Poe and BB-8? Could mirror "Imperial Troops have entered the base......" from Empire.
Yes, it appears to be the same (or similar) hangar.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

I think that by the end of Ep 9 that the Jedi will evolve into something else. The Jedi code will be perceived in holding back their development. This means more like the EU so attachment is allowed, embracing their emotions, etc.
Remember, the Force will be with you always.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

thepepgal wrote: April 15th, 2017, 10:03 am I think that by the end of Ep 9 that the Jedi will evolve into something else. The Jedi code will be perceived in holding back their development. This means more like the EU so attachment is allowed, embracing their emotions, etc.
I just hope they won't mess too much with Lucas's mythology...
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Master Magnus wrote: April 15th, 2017, 10:29 am I just hope they won't mess too much with Lucas's mythology...
They rejected GL ideas for the new trilogy and they have begun to bring in characters from the EU. It's like when Gene Roddenberry died, Paramount felt they had the right to leave Gene's vision behind. When George accepted $4bil for LFL, Disney now believe they have the right to develop the SW universe into what will make it the most money including disregarding the mythology.
RedMirax

Post by RedMirax »

Blizzard wrote: April 15th, 2017, 4:40 am
A friend on FB tried to tell me it wasn't Luke, too. But his mouth moves to the words.
That's what I think as well. He thinks they just use a shot of him with Kylo saying the words.
Laugh it up fuzzball!

I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

thepepgal wrote: April 15th, 2017, 10:59 am
Master Magnus wrote: April 15th, 2017, 10:29 am I just hope they won't mess too much with Lucas's mythology...
They rejected GL ideas for the new trilogy and they have begun to bring in characters from the EU. It's like when Gene Roddenberry died, Paramount felt they had the right to leave Gene's vision behind. When George accepted $4bil for LFL, Disney now believe they have the right to develop the SW universe into what will make it the most money including disregarding the mythology.
If so, then it's something I don't like.
Vibroblade

Post by Vibroblade »

I suspect that the basic evolution of the Force has George's approval.

They may have re-written his story outline but that doesn't mean they diregarded everything. The story has had a basic outline for over 40 years. I doubt Kathleen Kennedy is so foolish as to toss ALL of George's ideas out.

In essence, I think story elements will be/have been altered, but the underlying foundation will remain.

It's also worth mentioning that the EU was sanctioned by George. I'm surprised so many believe that those elements in the EU being mentioned did not have George's approval. Also, Qui-Gon was definitely a Lucas creation and he clearly thought the Jedi code was wrong. Finally, Yoda seemed to have many doubt in ROTS.

No, I still have faith that we are getting a version of George's vision. Maybe not HIS version but A version.
Javen

Post by Javen »

Even if they rejected GL's ideas they had 4.05 billion reasons they could and can, but they only altered it some.

And the mythology isn't being messed with it seems they're going back to a beginning with the journal of the whills. Yoda, Obi Wan and the council didn't have it right so to speak. They became arrogant and lost their way. Luke is finding the real balance
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Vibroblade even GL states he sanctioned people playing in his universe but it was never his vision for his characters. Disney are pulling the popular portions of the EU to woo fans.

Javen in a way you are right. It will also comfort you Mags in that Paramount learnt that fans will leave if you stray too far from the mythology.
Vibroblade

Post by Vibroblade »

thepepgal wrote: April 16th, 2017, 11:02 am Vibroblade even GL states he sanctioned people playing in his universe but it was never his vision for his characters. Disney are pulling the popular portions of the EU to woo fans.

Javen in a way you are right. It will also comfort you Mags in that Paramount learnt that fans will leave if you stray too far from the mythology.

Oh, I don't doubt that the character arcs are being messed with. Of that I'm sure.

I'm simply referring to the belief that the core plot essentials such as the origin/basis of the Force and the basic arc of the Skywalkers is being changed drastically. I bet it isn't.
Cassus Fett

Post by Cassus Fett »

Master Magnus wrote: April 15th, 2017, 7:53 am
DblDwn wrote: April 15th, 2017, 12:05 am Anyone else think the shot of Phasma and the troopers walking through the debris is after the hangar explosion with Poe and BB-8? Could mirror "Imperial Troops have entered the base......" from Empire.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The scene with the "skimmers" heading towards the AT-AT's was another one I thought ESB without the snow. I really do hope they don't do an almost copy of it
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

Cassus Fett wrote: May 2nd, 2017, 4:08 pm
Master Magnus wrote: April 15th, 2017, 7:53 am
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The scene with the "skimmers" heading towards the AT-AT's was another one I thought ESB without the snow. I really do hope they don't do an almost copy of it
First thing I thought of was pod racing on Boonta Eve....
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

I was just looking at the trailer again. I don't think anyone's mentioned the books in this thread. If so, and this has already been addressed, well: Never mind. If not, then...

Might those books be the Journal of the Whills?
Lord Tesla
Witty remark, snappy saying or catch phrase forthcoming
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Lord Tesla wrote: May 8th, 2017, 10:14 pm I was just looking at the trailer again. I don't think anyone's mentioned the books in this thread. If so, and this has already been addressed, well: Never mind. If not, then...

Yes, that is likely (at least some other Jedi literature lost to time).
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

Master Magnus wrote: May 9th, 2017, 6:12 am
Lord Tesla wrote: May 8th, 2017, 10:14 pm I was just looking at the trailer again. I don't think anyone's mentioned the books in this thread. If so, and this has already been addressed, well: Never mind. If not, then...

Yes, that is likely (at least some other Jedi literature lost to time).
Indeed, but that's rather a large field, no doubt. Ye gads, that could include Obi-Wan Kenobi's recipe for blue milkshakes!

But the thing about the Whills is, they predate the original film. I.e, they have been part of the earliest phase of Lucas's work on Star Wars. The Journal of the Whills was even quoted in the Prologue to Alan Dean Foster's 1976 novelization (ugly word) of A New Hope and in his (ugh) novelization of The Force Awakens (a verse identified as Journal of the Whills 7:477 appears as an epigraph). And they've made it into the films with Rogue One, so...

Maybe it's the right time, right place, for the Whills to get their cinematic due?
Lord Tesla
Witty remark, snappy saying or catch phrase forthcoming
thepepgal

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by thepepgal »

The OS released some pics from the Vanity Fair photo shoot from the film

http://www.starwars.com/news/vanity-fai ... cial-issue
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

So Benicio Del Torro's character's name is.....DJ
coughdarkjedicough...
And Lara Dern's character, Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo, looks like she'd fit well in GotG....
Javen

Post by Javen »

The dark jedi concept is silly. No thanks.
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

Javen wrote: May 28th, 2017, 10:04 am The dark jedi concept is silly. No thanks.
I agree just dropping this character in and saying he's a "dark Jedi" would confuse the casual viewer, but if it does turn out that he's Ezra....which isn't ruled out yet, that would be a great "bridge" from pre OT to ST.
Pun intended.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Well, the OT sure worked like this, but the ST isn't the OT and I must say I found this a bit weird: Rian Johnson on Twitter

So there was nothing from Jar Jar or Kasdan to guide the story? Did they also lack a sense of direction? (Well, I've not hidden the fact that I'm not a fan of TFA and I wouldn't be surprised.)
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Mags, I wonder if it is an alternative fact. They had to know who Rey & Finn's parents are. Why Luke went to the first Jedi temple?

Alternatively they fact they basically rehashed ANH and called it TFA would show no vision.

Did Rian flick through GL's vision for the ST for insight for Ep 8?
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

thepepgal wrote: May 30th, 2017, 10:14 am Mags, I wonder if it is an alternative fact. They had to know who Rey & Finn's parents are. Why Luke went to the first Jedi temple?

Alternatively they fact they basically rehashed ANH and called it TFA would show no vision.

Did Rian flick through GL's vision for the ST for insight for Ep 8?
Yes, I'm sure they must've known Rey's parentage (I guess Finn's is inconsequential for the movies) etc. Rian has had free reins, so it's impossible to say. Too bad the Making of TFA was cancelled.
Javen

Post by Javen »

Explain to me what's the difference between any other trilogy? Or any other movie for that matter. Not every movie gets a full arc from beginning to finish and it changes as it goes. GL did not have the story written out from ANH to ROTJ. Oh, sure he had lots of things he wrote but it wasn't until several drafts some things came about. Because he did not know when he wrote ANH Luke and Leia was siblings and many other things. Or the PT either except for knowing he would turn. It is absolutely no different. So the backlash is pretty hypocritical.

It amazes me how the internet reacts. If it's similar to the OT it gets slammed. They say they are creating new stories and it's"omg they're making it up as they go along." Fickle as hell people are.

I gotta say the EU had some fans spoiled rotten and most of it was silly.
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

So we are made to believe that the Lucas Film Story Group doesn't have a master plan for not only the ST but the animated shows, comics, novels and every other form of media. I call Bravo Sierra. I see how the threads of connectivity are being inter woven between the PT / TCW/ SWR/ Rogue One/OT....so this ST Lucasfilm is just wingin' it? Okaaaay .
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

So the "who is Snoke?" Subject is making it's rounds around the interwebs again, and this guy Mike Zeroh is claiming the website comic book.com suggests.....based on a Lego figure that Snoke might be blind and if he is Snoke could be.................Kanaan Jarrus
https://youtu.be/mGrhzr2AS7w

And then there's the quote from FPJr regarding Kanan's enhanced abilities while under Bendu's tutalge...
http://comicbook.com/starwars/amp/2017/ ... s-in-the-/
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Siamese Sith wrote: July 4th, 2017, 5:00 pm So the "who is Snoke?" Subject is making it's rounds around the interwebs again, and this guy Mike Zeroh is claiming the website comic book.com suggests.....based on a Lego figure that Snoke might be blind and if he is Snoke could be.................Kanaan Jarrus
https://youtu.be/mGrhzr2AS7w

And then there's the quote from FPJr regarding Kanan's enhanced abilities while under Bendu's tutalge...
http://comicbook.com/starwars/amp/2017/ ... s-in-the-/
Zeroh isn't a trustworthy source.