Star Wars Episode IX (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Discuss Episodes 7-9 here.
Master Shrive

Re: Star Wars Episode IX (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Master Shrive »

Siamese Sith wrote: November 11th, 2019, 5:57 pm If you’ve watched Rebels you know Grand Admiral Thrawn is Cannon AND he’s more likely alive than Palpatine should be. My question is simple, would you rather have Palpatine as the puppet-master of the ST or Thrawn? I personally think using Thrawn would be a much better choice than Palpatine. It preserves Anakin’s legacy and all fans would know who he was and the buzz would spark the interest of casuals!
I can't help but wonder if the current ST went a little bit like the early days of the old Expanded Universe - bringing back Palpatine in some shape or form because they couldn't think of anything else.

And then finally they came up Thrawn and produced one of the best sets of novels the EU ever saw, as well as one of the most in-depth characters.

So the movies are just throwing back to all the old characters; but the cartoons are able to take their time and flesh out new (or renewed) ones.

Just a thought.
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

Master Magnus wrote: October 23rd, 2019, 2:53 pm
thepepgal wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 5:01 pm I've seen the trailer. It didn't didn't expand too much on what we already seen. Already know we were going to Endor.
Except it isn't Endor. Well, it's one of Endor's moons (I hope so at least), but it's not the jungle moon from ROTJ. The Official Site has revealed in a news item on the updated Star Tours ride that the wreckage of the second Death Star seen in the final trailer is located on the ocean moon of Kef Bir: StarWars.com

The new Star Wars monopoly game has revealed that the jungle planet seen in the trailer is called Ajan Kloss and is the location of the new Resistance base.
I wonder if we’ll get any explanation how the 12 remaining resistance members got off krayt and how they managed to build a base on Ajax Floss. I still think ANYONE other than Sheev would’ve been better!
Last night I heard the rumor that the movie is going to say Vader only killed a clone of Palpy......💩
And Leia, Lando, Chewie, R2 and 3PO will die together when who ever the bad guys are blow up the Falcon with all of them on it!!!
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

The resistance was shown leaving Crait using the Falcon and it did land without any challenge. We all know well the Falcon has avoided capture over the years. While there is no Han on board I'm sure between Chewie, Poe and Rey one of them would have had the skills to fly them out.

Since the film is set around 5 years in the future that recruiting Lando and others has brought more followers in to build the new base.
Remember, the Force will be with you always.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

thepepgal wrote: November 20th, 2019, 3:41 pm The resistance was shown leaving Crait using the Falcon and it did land without any challenge. We all know well the Falcon has avoided capture over the years. While there is no Han on board I'm sure between Chewie, Poe and Rey one of them would have had the skills to fly them out.

Since the film is set around 5 years in the future that recruiting Lando and others has brought more followers in to build the new base.
Nope, TROS is set one year after TLJ.

And Johnson was even worse at scale than Lucas (at least Lucas could show scale).
Siamese Sith wrote:Last night I heard the rumor that the movie is going to say Vader only killed a clone of Palpy......💩
And Leia, Lando, Chewie, R2 and 3PO will die together when who ever the bad guys are blow up the Falcon with all of them on it!!!
You can throw those rumors in the bin.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

So, it seems Kennedy wasn't telling the whole truth. Bringing the Emperor back for IX wasn't always the plan (as Kennedy has stated) and was something Colin Trevorrow "never considered" but was a late addition made by J. J. Abrams.

There are a whole bunch of rumors going around and depending on how everything plays out...

Empire Online
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Did Palpatine have to come back so they prove how Skywalker will rise from the death? Maybe Luke was never dead as no mechanical hand was left. If they can bring back Maul and Sidious, then it is time they balanced the Force and brought back one from the Light side.
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Master Shrive wrote: November 10th, 2019, 7:44 pm So how have Marvel/Disney managed to get everything right with their huge number of movies; but Disney could not get their ducks in a row for Star Wars? What was missing from this picture? Did they have the wrong people in the wrong positions?
It would seem so, MS, yeah...that they did have the wrong people in the wrong position. They were fixed on 2015 as the release year for TFA, so much so that when writer Michael Arndt well into the development period (like a year maybe even closer to 2 years in) wasn't on pace to finish, they just chucked him and plugged in Abrams/Kasdan with no adjustment in the release date. So it was literally an extreme rush job from a writing standpoint. And with that being the first in a new trilogy, what a disastrous decision that is. It completely prevents the development of the strong foundation needed to support a well thought out trilogy.

You can see the mess with this new episode, Abrams feeling he has to bring back Palpatine because there's no other big bad...since Rian Johnson chucked Snoke in the prior movie. So with not even a hint that Palpatine would be back, he's going to now be brought back just to defeat him again in the very same movie. And this was all *already* accomplished way back in ROTJ, the true conclusion to the Skywalker Saga. That Abrams and company now have to, late in the game, reframe this new trilogy as that conclusion...redundancy and of such a poor quality...oh wow, does it highlight the sheer lack of care and proper development.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

borgmatrix wrote: November 26th, 2019, 9:58 am
Master Shrive wrote: November 10th, 2019, 7:44 pm So how have Marvel/Disney managed to get everything right with their huge number of movies; but Disney could not get their ducks in a row for Star Wars? What was missing from this picture? Did they have the wrong people in the wrong positions?
It would seem so, MS, yeah...that they did have the wrong people in the wrong position. They were fixed on 2015 as the release year for TFA, so much so that when writer Michael Arndt well into the development period (like a year maybe even closer to 2 years in) wasn't on pace to finish, they just chucked him and plugged in Abrams/Kasdan with no adjustment in the release date. So it was literally an extreme rush job from a writing standpoint. And with that being the first in a new trilogy, what a disastrous decision that is. It completely prevents the development of the strong foundation needed to support a well thought out trilogy.

You can see the mess with this new episode, Abrams feeling he has to bring back Palpatine because there's no other big bad...since Rian Johnson chucked Snoke in the prior movie. So with not even a hint that Palpatine would be back, he's going to now be brought back just to defeat him again in the very same movie. And this was all *already* accomplished way back in ROTJ, the true conclusion to the Skywalker Saga. That Abrams and company now have to, late in the game, reframe this new trilogy as that conclusion...redundancy and of such a poor quality...oh wow, does it highlight the sheer lack of care and proper development.
Great points! 😀

As for Kylo, my distinct impression of what Ruin... sorry, Rian Johnson has said is that he intended Kylo to be standing on his own two feet after he killed Snoke. If the leaks are true, we'll again see Kylo in the same subservient role, but now to Palpatine.

And Rey isn't a nobody, she's the granddaughter of someone that came right out of the blue.

*Sigh*
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

The Rise of Skywalker has been given a Swedish rating of "11" (meaning that children between the ages 7-10 can see the movie accompanied by a guardian and that eleven year olds can see the movie unaccompanied).

After having read the decision, all I can say is that some spoilers are true... The motivation reads:

"Framställningen innehåller inslag av skrämmande och hotfull stämning, strider med nedskjutningar och personer som genomborras av lasersvärd, intensiva rymdstrider, kraftiga explosioner och kraschande rymdskepp samt en skräckinjagande man som drar livskraften ur människor. Detta kan medföra stark rädsla och oro. Framställningen bedöms kunna vara till skada för välbefinnandet för barn under 11 år."

"The presentation includes scary and threatening scenes, gun battles with shootings and people who are pierced by laserswords, intense space battles, powerful explosions and crashing spaceships as well as a terrifying man who drains the life force out of people. This can induce strong fear and anxiety. The presentation is assessed as being harmful to the well-being of children below the age of 11.

The running length is stated as 2:21:41.
TROS motivation.JPG
TROS motivation.JPG (93.33 KiB) Viewed 74907 times
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

At this point I just pray Sidious doesn’t say Vader killed a clone of himself. That’s all I’m asking for, oh and that Han doesn’t show up as a force ghost!
I’m taking my son and some of his school friends to see it for his birthday, I don’t want to spend $$$ for this but as a fan I want future generations to have StarWars movies to enjoy as I once did.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Siamese Sith wrote: December 11th, 2019, 11:01 am At this point I just pray Sidious doesn’t say Vader killed a clone of himself. That’s all I’m asking for, oh and that Han doesn’t show up as a force ghost!
I’m taking my son and some of his school friends to see it for his birthday, I don’t want to spend $$$ for this but as a fan I want future generations to have StarWars movies to enjoy as I once did.
It wasn't a clone and a vision of Han will apparently appear.

I've never been a fan of Kylo Ren (Driver is a decent actor but can't pass of as a child of Han and Leia) but his character regresses in TROS to the point where we first met him in TFA.
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Master Magnus wrote: December 12th, 2019, 12:48 pm I've never been a fan of Kylo Ren (Driver is a decent actor but can't pass of as a child of Han and Leia) but his character regresses in TROS to the point where we first met him in TFA.
I liked Driver a lot from a performance standpoint. I haven't thought or cared too much about how he looks versus his parents. You're right on the writing being bad, moving in the wrong direction with the character. In a mess of movie, one potential for something great and interesting was going somewhere with Kylo Ren wanting to break away from the Sith/Jedi, Light/Dark dichotomy and especially if Rey was on board with him. But this turned out to be just playing at subversion with no interest in actually going there.

Regarding Sidious, hasn't it been suggested that he wasn't actually killed, but survived the ROTJ fall?
toVor

Post by toVor »

Hi guys. I have been avoiding spoilers as much as possible so I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread. If it has, oops, sorry.

We've all seen the clip in the last trailer with the dozens and dozens of Star Destroyers, and I assumed they were joining the First Order fleet. But I just took a look at this poster, showing all of those destroyers, and I realized something huge. I mean, it may be mere speculation but what if my speculation is right? Look at the red markings on the destroyer. Red was the color of the Republic ships. The Republic navy had red markings but even those same ships of the early empire did not. Am I right? If so, then these are not Imperial ships but New Republic ships.

And that thought thrills me very much.
Attachments
77096275_2799466376771612_1222086644329349120_o.jpg
77096275_2799466376771612_1222086644329349120_o.jpg (92.03 KiB) Viewed 74684 times
"Your focus determines your reality." --Qui-Gon Jinn
"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." --John Lennon
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

toVor wrote: December 16th, 2019, 9:16 pm Hi guys. I have been avoiding spoilers as much as possible so I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread. If it has, oops, sorry.

We've all seen the clip in the last trailer with the dozens and dozens of Star Destroyers, and I assumed they were joining the First Order fleet. But I just took a look at this poster, showing all of those destroyers, and I realized something huge. I mean, it may be mere speculation but what if my speculation is right? Look at the red markings on the destroyer. Red was the color of the Republic ships. The Republic navy had red markings but even those same ships of the early empire did not. Am I right? If so, then these are not Imperial ships but New Republic ships.

And that thought thrills me very much.
Won't spoil but they aren't Republic.
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

Master Magnus wrote: December 16th, 2019, 11:32 pm Won't spoil but they aren't Republic.
That seems an easy inference from the X-Wing, and the direction it's pointing.

I waited to see The Last Moof-Milker until it arrived on disc. I'm not sure about this one. I might go for a matinee after the crowds-- :laugh: -- die down. Then again, might not.
Lord Tesla
Witty remark, snappy saying or catch phrase forthcoming
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

*MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS*

So I did something I didn't expect myself. I took the commuter train to Stockholm to watch "The Rise of Skywalker" or, as I like to call it, "The Rise of MacGuffins and Gimmicks at a daytime showing.

I must admit that I enjoyed TROS more than I think I would have and it was certainly a much better movie than the trainwreck that was "The Last Jedi". It's important to keep in mind that I think the Clone Wars movie is a better movie than TLJ...

The movie is gorgeous, but the locations are completely uninteresting. Abrams also continues to recycle the remaining plot elements from the OT as well as dialogue from the OT. The plot is connect-the-dots and everything falls conveniently as needed by the script, which was quite obvious. Many of the plot elements made me go "Oooookayyyy" and I actually rolled my eyes at the very last few shots. The Sith lore makes no sense with how it was established earlier and can't work in light of ROTS and ROTJ.

If you've seen The Seer in the bad HBO-show "Vikings", then you pretty much have seen what Palpatine (who is oddly never referred to by his Sith name) looks like.

I won't mention Rey's lineage here, but it was contrived as heck.

Fans of TLJ (if there are any) won't like TROS, especially since Abrams pretty much used the first act to clean up the damage... But then Abrams is a bad storyteller himself. The movie was fun, and it was good to see C-3PO in such a prominent role again. However, I, and many in the audience, laughed at two scenes which wasn't what Abrams/Terrio had intended...

Some good cameos. I was very pleased to see John Williams in a cameo.

While TROS didn't make much sense, I rate it D+
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

THIS IS SPOILER THREAD EXPECT SPOILERS

So I've now seen the movie and overall I did enjoy the ride. Some of the ideas were good and some weren't.

The depiction of Leia's death is unusual. Considering the footage they had to work with they did combine it well. They lied about no CGI and I felt was unnecessary.

Bringing back Palpatine was wrong. How he had all those ships and why weren't they used before is unexplainable. He get enough personnel to staff all those ships is unrealistic as Pryde couldn't have brought them with him. The Resistance group shouldn't have survived so long and their support fleet would have had great difficulty traversing that space.

Rey's parentage was a stretch but I had picked it before entering the cinema once they reveal Ian's return. Her training was acceptable as I always thought Leia would have been the first trained by Luke.

Han's appearance was nice and obviously because of the loss of Carrie to fill the film.

Enjoyed the banter between Poe and Zorii. Seeing Rey, Finn and Poe was also well done. I wished there was more.

I accepted the way they had to wipe C3PO's memory. D-O was a waste of time except to sell toys.

Rose was there as a token appearance and wasted. Seeing Wedge was ok.

Overall 3 stars out of 5.
Cassus Fett

Post by Cassus Fett »

Throughly enjoyed the entie film. Nice end to the saga.

Didn't see the need for D-O
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Cassus Fett

Post by Cassus Fett »

Also Han is the only none force user to activate a lightsaber
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Blizzard

Post by Blizzard »

Major spoilers ahead..............................

I loved the whole ride and accidentally screamed when Maz gave Chewie a medal.

I related the whole Leia/Ben thing to Carrie and Debbie in real life. Leia couldn't live without her son.

The best parts were:
* The "people" showing up to the fight
* Han
* Wedge
* Ben's return (even though Twitter hates this so much!)
* Rey's death
* Chief Wicket (which came just after whispering to my boyfriend, "I feel like there will be little bears at the end!"
* And watching my boyfriend's reaction to Chewie dying (he panicked) and hearing the Jedi voices (he cheered)

I also liked seeing Luke's X-wing, but my biggest disappointment was Rey wearing a New Republic helmet. It wasn't Luke's old Rebel helmet, but I am sure that one was long gone. And what the hell was up with throwing Dominic Monaghan in there? I was waiting for him to say, "Not Penny's Starship!!"
Keeping kittens warm since 1998.
Blizzard

Post by Blizzard »

And how dare they kill Snap!!
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Blizzard wrote: December 20th, 2019, 8:11 pm
I also liked seeing Luke's X-wing, but my biggest disappointment was Rey wearing a New Republic helmet. It wasn't Luke's old Rebel helmet, but I am sure that one was long gone. And what the hell was up with throwing Dominic Monaghan in there? I was waiting for him to say, "Not Penny's Starship!!"
Yes, the X-Wing, the wing of which is actually the door to Luke's hut. And it's been sitting in the water for years and Jar Jar Abrams copies TESB.

While it was good to see Ford, it actually infuriated me somewhat. The hack Abrams killed Han off without having the Big Three reunited. That Ford was open for more was clear from reading between the lines post-TFA.

Death doesn't mean anything in the film. The new healing power is annoying as hell. A certain someone wasn't merely dying but was very dead and as Jar Jar had decided to make a gimmick out if it, the person was brought back to life. What followed had the audience burst out in laughter which Jar Jar and Terrio hadn't intended.

Jar Jar also changed established rules on a whim. Star Destroyers can't use their shields in an atmosphere? Since when? The whole Sith lore was completely rewritten by Jar Jar.
RedMirax

Post by RedMirax »

I really liked it. I was not sure, but I really did. Lots of surprises.

When I thought Chewie had died, I was like... not again, you can't do this to me again!
When Chewie wailed after he found out Leia died.... :(
I tried picking out all of the Jedi voices, but know I missed a lot.
Force healing is not new......
I think it ends well. To me it ends where it began and that is cool with me. They just better not start writing books for the time line after this movie with these characters. I am not doing that again!
The John Williams cameo was cool.
If Lando was at the reunion at the end, Wedge should have been there as well!
Ben sacrificing himself was fitting, I thought, even though I wished for a happier ending with that. I was kind of expecting Ben's ghost to be there with Luke and Leia.
My husband said he didn't know Leia even trained as a Jedi... I was like, well she did in the books... lol
Han's appearance was a good surprise.
I thought Leia was done well.
Was it just me, or was Finn leaning towards some Force "ability"?

This movie made me think, I need to see it again to see parts that I might have missed. TLJ didn't have parts I wanted to see again. I am not a critic and only go by what I like. I really liked this.

Now I have 6 days to wait for The Mandalorian season finale! :)
Laugh it up fuzzball!

I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.
Blizzard

Post by Blizzard »

RedMirax wrote: December 21st, 2019, 2:54 pm My husband said he didn't know Leia even trained as a Jedi... I was like, well she did in the books... lol
I said the same thing to my boyfriend!
RedMirax wrote: December 21st, 2019, 2:54 pm Was it just me, or was Finn leaning towards some Force "ability"?
Yes, Finn has the Force. I think Jannah's whole squad is Force sensitive. Now I know what Cassus Fett meant when he said (on Facebook) Han remains the only non Force user to ignite a saber.
RedMirax wrote: December 21st, 2019, 2:54 pm This movie made me think, I need to see it again to see parts that I might have missed. TLJ didn't have parts I wanted to see again. I am not a critic and only go by what I like. I really liked this.
Same! I recently watched TLJ again because I totally forgot to never watch it again.
Blizzard

Post by Blizzard »

Master Magnus wrote: December 21st, 2019, 12:25 am Yes, the X-Wing, the wing of which is actually the door to Luke's hut. And it's been sitting in the water for years and Jar Jar Abrams copies TESB
He copies a lot more, and I like that nostalgia. We heard, "This door is locked, move onto the next one" and "What's your operating number".
Master Magnus wrote: December 21st, 2019, 12:25 amDeath doesn't mean anything in the film. The new healing power is annoying as hell. A certain someone wasn't merely dying but was very dead and as Jar Jar had decided to make a gimmick out if it, the person was brought back to life. What followed had the audience burst out in laughter which Jar Jar and Terrio hadn't intended.

Jar Jar also changed established rules on a whim. Star Destroyers can't use their shields in an atmosphere? Since when? The whole Sith lore was completely rewritten by Jar Jar.
I totally read that as if Jar Jar Binks was talking.... Huh? The death thing I get, but I also don't mind. They are one with the Force and the Force has it's own set of rules, they are not JJ's rules. No one laughed at that scene in my audiences, they were too busy crying.
Blizzard

Post by Blizzard »

In the 90's I wrote to Invasion! Magazine and asked, "If Han is from Corellia, Leia represented Alderaan, and Luke was raised on Tatooine, where in the galaxy is Lando from?"
They published my question in the magazine and said Lando was from France and drank Colt 45.
NOW we finally know he's from the Gold System!

This movie also reminded me of Han's line in A New Hope: "The entire starfleet couldn't destroy the whole planet. It'd take a thousand ships with more power than I've..."
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Blizzard wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 1:36 am
Master Magnus wrote: December 21st, 2019, 12:25 am Yes, the X-Wing, the wing of which is actually the door to Luke's hut. And it's been sitting in the water for years and Jar Jar Abrams copies TESB
He copies a lot more, and I like that nostalgia. We heard, "This door is locked, move onto the next one" and "What's your operating number".
It was the full "Check this side of the street..." heard in the movie. :)

And then McDiarmid cackled the exact same lines from ROTS ("The Dark Side is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.") and from ROTJ. But that's Jar Jar Abrams.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Jar Jar Abrams and Terrio speaks from their behind. There wad NEVER a conflict between the House of Skywalker and the House of Palpatine in Star Wars and there never WAS a House of Palpatine in the movies to begin with! I thought this was Star Wars, not Game of Thrones!

Twitter
Master Shrive

Post by Master Shrive »

Well, here go my thoughts, as I return from the cinema where I first saw AOTC 17 years ago.

In late 2004, I joined The Galactic Senate just as the Saga was officially coming to an end. I picked a name that has since followed me everywhere online. 15 years later we are here once again, almost certainly for the last time.

Honestly, my first impressions of the movie are that I am happy enough. I was worried they had dug themselves too big a hole to get out of. But bringing back Palpatine actually made sense in the end in my eyes. He pulled the strings from start to finish. Yes, there are questions, like how did he survive? And questions unanswered, like where did Snoke come from? But if we look back over the entire Saga then in actual fact, that was the norm. Bad guys coming out of nowhere, like Sidious in Episode V and Dooku in Episode II. I'm not saying it's great storying telling, but it is pretty much what we should have come to expect.

Were there other issues with the movie? Naturally. Sudden love interests were cropping up everywhere all so the film could finish with a kiss. But for me, the nods to fans and the reappearance of a number of past characters were certainly highlights. I really liked the way they handled Leia, as that could have gone any direction. Han appearing as a memory was a nice touch too and finishing back where it all started was spot on.

Obviously I'll need to rewatch a few times to pick up on everything, but I walked away satisfied (which is more than I was expecting).

I wrote the above before reading anyone else's thoughts so as not to tarnish my post, but now having a look through the thread there's plenty of other comments I agree with.

I thought Chewie was done for (again, so to speak) and thought they'd taken that straight from the old EU. I did like when he was given a medal though.

I was also expecting some more force ghost action, perhaps with basically the whole band back together at the end.
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

I’m taking my son on his birthday (Jan 11) with some friends from school.
I find the negative reviews from RT very interesting! Seems JJ undid many of the problems that Rian Johnson created, and the shills aren’t pleased with that.
Does this installment help reunite the fandom?