Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Discuss the non-saga movies here, from Rogue One to Han Solo to other future stand-alone movies.
borgmatrix

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by borgmatrix »

thepepgal wrote: June 6th, 2018, 4:09 pm Borgmatrix, everyone I've discussed it with all describes it as enjoyable. That is the feeling you get left with. Not "it was fantastic with you being left on the edge of your seat and need to see it again". There is very little to complain about, but also very little that gets you excited.
Well, sure. I'm not saying it was brilliant. But I am interested in seeing it again. If I do in the near future, I'll be able to comment better on whether it holds up. I'm just saying its better than average.

Of the 21 movies I've seen at the theater thus far this year, I have Solo in the top third.
toVor

Post by toVor »

I don't have much time as I'm heading out before work to do some errands, but I wanted to say that as some here know, I was very skeptical of this film and hadn't felt it was necessary to the SW saga as a whole. Unlike Rogue One which added a lot to the story. So ZI went in to this one feeling like it will probably be a fun film and that would be all.

It was a fun movie, a whole lot of fun. I fully enjoyed it. Not as much as Rogue One, but I loved the experience. I had some critiques of course, in fact a few that affected my acceptance of the film, and that I feel affected continuity within the saga. Here are some nits I want to pick:

Han and Lando's friendship. I didn't see any friendship here, merely a couple of smugglers who went on one mission together and spent perhaps at the most a few days in each other's company. Now of course, we don't know how long they spent travelling in the Falcon, just like we don't really know how long the Falcon spent travelling to Alderaan in ANH, or to Bespin in TESB, but it felt like days at the most and not enough time to develop a real friendship. In Empire Strikes Back I got the impression that they had been fellow smugglers and friends for years. In this film, when Han stated to Lando that they are friends, I found that odd for the above reason, and also because I didn't see a friendship there but a rivalry. That certainly affected my viewing experience due to the decades since TESB of thinking of them as long-term friends that went way back.

I was confused by the Kessel run. I have to say that I was tired the day I saw the movie and was in fact rather sleepy. Not due to the movie being dull, it certainly wasn't, but from lack of full sleep over the prior few days, and I may have missed a lot during or leading up to that sequence. But what was it that they were traveling through? A cloud of gas, a tunnel? I just didn't understand what they moving through.

I didn't care for Lando's droid in some of her scenes. I found her to be annoying.

I loved the nostalgia and the homages to the original trilogy. Han's meeting with Chewie was certainly reminiscent of Luke's being dropped into the Rancor cage but with Chewie coming out instead. Despite what I said about Han and Lando's friendship above,I enjoyed how Han and Chewie's friendship developed and grew in this film. I thought it was very well done.

The actor who played Han was far from a young Harrison Ford but he still pulled off a young Han Solo. When I finally managed to push Harrison out of my thoughts I was able to accept this actor in the roll he was playing. He did well.

When they were on the beach near the end of the film, when that character finally pulled off her helmet I was confused. What was the big revelation there? That she was a young female? It felt like she was meant to be a surprise from earlier in the film or from another film but yet she was not familiar to me.
"Your focus determines your reality." --Qui-Gon Jinn
"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." --John Lennon
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan
Zapp Brannigan

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

toVor wrote: June 11th, 2018, 1:24 pm Han and Lando's friendship... I didn't see a friendship there but a rivalry. That certainly affected my viewing experience due to the decades since TESB of thinking of them as long-term friends that went way back.
I hear ya, but think about 2 things:

1. This may not be Han and Lando's only interaction pre-OT
2. Never got the feeling that Han and Lando were all that good of friends. There seemed to me to be a rivalry there even in ESB.

i.e., Han to Chewie : "Well that was a long time ago.. I'm sure he's forgotten about that."

Han to Leia: "I don't trust him either."

Lando and Han after 3P0 gets messed up:

Lando: "Having trouble with your droid?"

Han: "No, no problem, why?" with a very accusatory look.

I think Han went to Bespin to get help from Lando only because he had no choice, if there would have been any other (supposedly) Empire-free place within range, I feel like Han would have gone there instead.
toVor wrote: June 11th, 2018, 1:24 pm I was confused by the Kessel run. I have to say that I was tired the day I saw the movie and was in fact rather sleepy. Not due to the movie being dull, it certainly wasn't, but from lack of full sleep over the prior few days, and I may have missed a lot during or leading up to that sequence. But what was it that they were traveling through? A cloud of gas, a tunnel? I just didn't understand what they moving through.
Literally just a bunch of crap in space, apparently.

From Wookiepedia:
"The Akkadese Maelstrom, also known simply as the Maelstrom, was a cluster of matter containing interstellar gas, carbonbergs, ice chunks, and other large debris that surrounded the planet Kessel."
Formerly known as Dark Helmet :vader:

"When I'm in command, every mission is a suicide-mission." :cool:
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: June 11th, 2018, 3:45 pm 1. This may not be Han and Lando's only interaction pre-OT
This. "Solo" apparently takes place 10 years before ANH. Almost certainly, the plan was for "Solo" sequels. Despite the box office, I think that happens. So we'll definitely be seeing more of Han and Lando together.
2. Never got the feeling that Han and Lando were all that good of friends. There seemed to me to be a rivalry there even in ESB.

i.e., Han to Chewie : "Well that was a long time ago.. I'm sure he's forgotten about that."

Han to Leia: "I don't trust him either."

Lando and Han after 3P0 gets messed up:

Lando: "Having trouble with your droid?"

Han: "No, no problem, why?" with a very accusatory look.
Nice summary. Yeah, there was definitely some healthy distrust there. So even if Disney decides not feature Lando and Han some more (which I highly doubt), I think it still works as is.
toVor

Post by toVor »

Being that this is a spoilers allowed thread, if you haven't seen the film yet be warned, big spoiler about to be mentioned....
Maul. So he's alive, and apparently the real boss running Crimson Dawn. Now, I have known about his presence in the Clone Wars show so I wasn't surprised by his existence, only by his involvement in the crime syndicate. Questions: Does the Emperor know about Maul's survival post Naboo, 20+ years ago from that point? And does he know about his place at the top of Crimson Dawn? If so, is he in fact allowing it to transpire? Regardless of Disney's expunging of the former Extended Universe, in Shadows of the Empire the Empire was both allowing and using Black Sun for its own benefit, and its leader Xisor (sp?) was while working illegally actually serving the Emperor's interests. Is Palpatine both allowing and using Crimson Dawn in the same manner?
Since Maul is no longer considered a Sith the Rule of Two is no longer being broken; so does Palpatine not consider him a threat to his reign?
Now that Maul has been introduced into the live-action continuity, if more sequels are made involving him, can the dream of so many fans now be realized? Ever since TPM how many of us have said how we wished that a duel between Maul and Vader could be seen on film? Yeah, a lot of us. And now that Maul and Vader are both alive and in power in the same time-frame, it is indeed possible for such a duel to finally happen! When Palpatine decides that Maul no longer serves his interests as head of Crimson Dawn, who but Vader himself will he send to end the crime leaders reign?

You got it! We may, and probably will, finally see that long dreamed of duel between the two feared warriors.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

toVor wrote: June 17th, 2018, 2:49 pm Being that this is a spoilers allowed thread, if you haven't seen the film yet be warned, big spoiler about to be mentioned....
Maul. So he's alive, and apparently the real boss running Crimson Dawn.
Now that Maul has been introduced into the live-action continuity, if more sequels are made involving him, can the dream of so many fans now be realized? Ever since TPM how many of us have said how we wished that a duel between Maul and Vader could be seen on film? Yeah, a lot of us. And now that Maul and Vader are both alive and in power in the same time-frame, it is indeed possible for such a duel to finally happen! When Palpatine decides that Maul no longer serves his interests as head of Crimson Dawn, who but Vader himself will he send to end the crime leaders reign?
SPOILERS

I really hope so, Tovor.

One way it might not happen is if they continue Maul's story in a Kenobi movie. That might end with Kenobi killing Maul without Vader having a chance to get involved.

But, if we look at the animated shows, Sidious did go after Maul. Like you've said, it feels like the live-action approach could have Vader as the Emperor's proxy. Plus, it would be a nice way to have Sidious test his apprentice.

I wonder what the chances are of getting a Vader/Sidious movie set shortly after episode III to explore the new Master-apprentice dynamic and establish Sidious' disappointment over Vader's loss to Kenobi and physical condition. And then, a Kenobi movie set after "Solo" to pick up that thread and Vader sent after Maul. Or Vader taking it upon himself to prove himself by going after Maul.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

You two need to watch SW Rebels as it covers both of your speculations
Remember, the Force will be with you always.
toVor

Post by toVor »

thepepgal wrote: June 18th, 2018, 7:33 am You two need to watch SW Rebels as it covers both of your speculations
I've seen a few episodes but I need to catch up on the show. Does Vader face off with Maul on the show?
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

toVor wrote: June 19th, 2018, 3:11 am I've seen a few episodes but I need to catch up on the show. Does Vader face off with Maul on the show?
SPOILERS
The original plan was for Vader to face Maul and kill him, but I think they ended up feeling they had too much going on already and, additionally, that there wasn't enough emotional connection/weight behind a Vader-Maul conflict. A season later they went with Maul facing Kenobi instead.

I'm not opposed to the movies covering similar ground to the tv show. But having already seen one take, I'd like to see something different. Vader fighting Maul feels too delicious an opportunity to miss out on. As to the emotional connection, I'd love it if Vader referenced intent to avenge the death of his first Master (Qui-gon) against Maul.

As I said above, they could have Vader acting for the Emperor (in place of the Rebels version of Palpatine himself going after Maul) and have the fight interrupted or Maul escape or some other scenario where both survive. And then they could still build toward Kenobi/Maul to conclude Maul's arc.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

If you see the last few episodes of Rebels you will know Maul's fate. Maul does feature throughout the series with episodes hear and there. It makes sense with the ending of Solo.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

thepepgal wrote: June 20th, 2018, 8:15 am If you see the last few episodes of Rebels you will know Maul's fate. Maul does feature throughout the series with episodes hear and there. It makes sense with the ending of Solo.
I have yet to see Solo but am of course aware of this particular spoiler. One thing that wasn't resolved fully as Disney cancelled TCW was what happened to Maul after he was taken and before the events of Rebels.

EDIT: Oh, it was resolved. The unfilmed scripts were adapted into comics instead. Well, I'm not into comics, so...
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Mags, having seen every episode of SW Rebels (the cartoon series) it also gives a resolution for Maul. Considering it is set just before Rogue One and ANH means there is a way for a live action to lead into to these events and be after Solo.

When I first saw him, my brain quickly ran to the series of events to correlate his appearance to what i knew had happened to him. It was a few seconds to be satisfied it did work and there a was space to develop the teaser in a live action.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

thepepgal wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 8:31 am Mags, having seen every episode of SW Rebels (the cartoon series) it also gives a resolution for Maul.
Pep, I specifically wrote: "One thing that wasn't resolved fully as Disney cancelled TCW was what happened to Maul after he was taken and before the events of Rebels." :mate:
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

DVD, Blu-ray & 4k discs to be released around 25 Sept in the US. Digitalis usually around two weeks earlier.
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

Master Magnus wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 2:54 am
thepepgal wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 8:31 am Mags, having seen every episode of SW Rebels (the cartoon series) it also gives a resolution for Maul.
Pep, I specifically wrote: "One thing that wasn't resolved fully as Disney cancelled TCW was what happened to Maul after he was taken and before the events of Rebels." :mate:
Hopefully that will be shown now that TCW show has been announced by Filoni at SDCC18!
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Siamese Sith wrote: July 20th, 2018, 9:53 am
Master Magnus wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 2:54 am
Hopefully that will be shown now that TCW show has been announced by Filoni at SDCC18!
Hopefully! :)