Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Discuss the non-saga movies here, from Rogue One to Han Solo to other future stand-alone movies.
thepepgal

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by thepepgal »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: January 9th, 2018, 3:10 pm Considering they held Wedge out of the Battle of Scariff scene for Rogue One because he says "Whoa, look at the size of that thing!" in ANH, I doubt we will see any of the Death Star in the Solo movie. Two things I hope to see: Han rescuing Chewie and going awol from the Academy, and the incident that ends up in Han owing Jabba massive piles of space dough.
Zapp the pics I've seen of the leaked Lego sets has a little DS trooper and the page I looked at has been removed. LFL only gets them deleted when they are true.
Remember, the Force will be with you always.
Zapp Brannigan

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

thepepgal wrote: January 10th, 2018, 1:57 pm
Zapp the pics I've seen of the leaked Lego sets has a little DS trooper and the page I looked at has been removed. LFL only gets them deleted when they are true.
Hmm. Maybe those kinds of troopers aren't explicitly limited to the DS anymore... or the Death Star is gonna be in it and continuity be damned. I really am keeping my fingers crossed that the Death Star doesn't come into play for this movie. We already have 2 movies focused on it (3 if you count the Death Star II), and IMO, don't really need a 3rd (or 4th).
Formerly known as Dark Helmet :vader:

"When I'm in command, every mission is a suicide-mission." :cool:
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Maybe we don't see it but a squadron are being posted to it.

A DS style weapon has been seen in Ep 2 (as plans), Ep 3 (being constructed), Rogue One, Ep 4, Ep 6 (DS 2), Ep 7 (Starkiller base is very DS like but a planet). I would prefer LFL stop using it but then reality shows that militaries will continue to develop similar weapons until something worst defeats it.
Zapp Brannigan

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

thepepgal wrote: January 12th, 2018, 3:54 pm Maybe we don't see it but a squadron are being posted to it.
Maybe Han is scheduled for it, but jumps ship before he finds out the details of his "classified" assignment. I think that would be cool, cause then we can all make fan theories about what if Han had stayed with the Empire and become a DS officer.
A DS style weapon has been seen in Ep 2 (as plans), Ep 3 (being constructed), Rogue One, Ep 4, Ep 6 (DS 2), Ep 7 (Starkiller base is very DS like but a planet). I would prefer LFL stop using it but then reality shows that militaries will continue to develop similar weapons until something worst defeats it.
True, but you'd think the Empire/First Order would consider a different strategy, because every time they build one, they probably lose trillions of space dollars in equipment and personnel when it gets destroyed, which is always.

Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

I really don't think the Death Star will be in the movie.

Anyway, there are rumors that the trailer will be released on Monday. There's also talk about some reshoots going on.
Zapp Brannigan

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Reshoots? Isn't the movie scheduled to release in March?

Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: January 13th, 2018, 5:11 pm Reshoots? Isn't the movie scheduled to release in March?
No, in May (May 25th). I'm sure they'll push it to December though. The reshoots haven't been officially confirmed.
Zapp Brannigan

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Ok, so they have a couple more months than I thought. But you're probably right about the push back if they re-shoot. I did think it was weird that they had another one coming so soon. Pretty sure all the new movies have come out in December.

Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: January 14th, 2018, 4:24 am Ok, so they have a couple more months than I thought. But you're probably right about the push back if they re-shoot. I did think it was weird that they had another one coming so soon. Pretty sure all the new movies have come out in December.
Yes, that's why I think it'll pushed back.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Disney released a synopsis for Solo: A Star Wars Story today:
Board the Millennium Falcon and journey to a galaxy far, far away in Solo: A Star Wars Story, an all-new adventure with the most beloved scoundrel in the galaxy. Through a series of daring escapades deep within a dark and dangerous criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his mighty future copilot Chewbacca and encounters the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian, in a journey that will set the course of one of the Star Wars saga’s most unlikely heroes.

Solo: A Star Wars Story releases in U.S. theaters on May 25, 2018.
So, it seems as if the release date won't be pushed to December after all: Big Shiny Robot
Zapp Brannigan

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Nice. Really looking forward to this one. I'm a lot more in to the spin off movies than this new trilogy. Still holding out hope for a Rouge Squadron movie or something similar that focuses on the fighter pilots. When I first heard the title Rouge One, I was really hype for it thinking it was gonna be about Wedge. Ended up with the best of the new movies so far, so I'm not complaining, but I really wanted that Wedge movie.

thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Reshoots have happen in the last couple of SW films only a couple of months out so a May release is still possible.
Master Shrive

Post by Master Shrive »

I just hope they don't ruin it by rushing it. I really want the stand alone films to be successful as that could open up a lot more stories in the long run.
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

Anyone know when the disc will be released for this critter? I need more coasters.

(You have inferred correctly if you have inferred I am unenthusiastic about this flick.)
Lord Tesla
Witty remark, snappy saying or catch phrase forthcoming
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

There are three planets confirmed and they are Corellia, Kessel and Mimbam.

Corellia is of course Han's home world and Kessel for the destination of the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs.

Mimbam is where the Imperial staff will have Death Star style clothing. Ron Howard has been teasing that there is a tie between this new movie and the Death Star. So probably no sighting of DS but a link to the project via this planet.

Story had originally been featured on AMC theatre website but they have now pulled the story from their site as well as their facebook page. Still features in Google search so the reports on other websites about the article appears to be true.

Tesla the movie is released in the cinema on May so dvd probably released in November in time for Christmas gifts.
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

thepepgal wrote: January 30th, 2018, 2:21 pm Tesla the movie is released in the cinema on May so dvd probably released in November in time for Christmas gifts.
Ah, so they shall be dual-purpose discs: coasters and lumps of coal in recipients' stockings. What won't they think of next...

Thanks!
Lord Tesla
JediDad

Post by JediDad »

A couple comments:

One: Mimbam is way to close to Mimban from Splinter of the Mind's Eye which is still one of my favorite Star Wars stories...probably because when I was a kid all I had was the Star Wars novelization, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, and Brian Daley's Han Solo adventures and the hit and miss Marvel comics to read over and over between Star Wars and Empire.

Two: I'm betting we'll get a Solo trailer on Super Bowl Sunday

We shall see...
How we doing? Same as always. That bad huh?
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Jedidad It Mimbam might be a typo as a couple of websites described the planet was originally featured in Splinters.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Jedidad, I think it's a pretty safe bet! :D
JediDad

Post by JediDad »

Agreed Magnus, if there isn't one, I'd say that's a hint and a half that they are behind schedule for that May release date. How long have we been seeing trailers/ads for Black Panther? More than three months time...

Oh and if it is just a typo on the Mibban thing, then I hope it is the Planet with the same environment, climate and Empire mining apparatus that was featured in Splinter. I'd even like to see Captain Supervisor Grammel make an appearance
How we doing? Same as always. That bad huh?
Zapp Brannigan

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

There will be trailer for it after the super bowl, according to an article I read yesterday.

Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

JediDad wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 8:51 pm Agreed Magnus, if there isn't one, I'd say that's a hint and a half that they are behind schedule for that May release date. How long have we been seeing trailers/ads for Black Panther? More than three months time...

Oh and if it is just a typo on the Mibban thing, then I hope it is the Planet with the same environment, climate and Empire mining apparatus that was featured in Splinter. I'd even like to see Captain Supervisor Grammel make an appearance
Apparently it's a 45 second trailer that will be shown during the second quarter (if I've understood things correctly).
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

Hmmph that was forgettable, I guess we’ll get the full trailer tomorrow.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Siamese Sith wrote: February 4th, 2018, 7:45 pm Hmmph that was forgettable, I guess we’ll get the full trailer tomorrow.
Yes, it says so at the end.
toVor

Post by toVor »

Well...that kind of looked sort of interesting I suppose.
"Your focus determines your reality." --Qui-Gon Jinn
"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." --John Lennon
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Unimpressed. I don't like the look of the actor playing Han Solo. Let's see how it turns out...
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Having seen the full 1:43 teaser trailer on the OS, I'm a little concerned. There's not much plot points to peak interest. All it shows is Han's skill as a pilot / speeder driver. It gave me the feel of a "Fast and Furious" trailer and I've never been impressed with the story line of those movies. Their attempt to recapture the 70's looks like a caricature. Hopefully we see a more round character than the highlights they have once as it appears to be too reckless which was downplayed by Harrison. I can accept the look of Han but Lando doesn't look like Billy Dee Williams and the smirk appears cheesy.

Will have to wait for the next trailer in hope of more depth to this story.
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

Master Magnus wrote: February 5th, 2018, 11:20 am Unimpressed.
I liked the short teaser better than the long teaser. I really didn't like the long teaser, or, I suppose they're calling it "the trailer." Probably only trailer, in my estimation.
Master Magnus wrote: February 5th, 2018, 11:20 am I don't like the look of the actor playing Han Solo.
Ah, yes: Sham Faux-lo.

But it it just me, or is Maz Kanata briefly visible in the second trailer? Manning a gun turret.
Master Magnus wrote: February 5th, 2018, 11:20 amLet's see how it turns out...
Oh, I can tell you how it'll turn out. It'll be just fine as a coaster once the disk is available.

They should have let Han Solo rest in peace.
Lord Tesla
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

If you’ve never seen it search for Han Solo A smugglers trade fan film staring Jamie Costa!
Actually just go here, http://free-swim.blogspot.com/2018/02/s ... o.html?m=1
toVor

Post by toVor »

Okay...I'll see it because it's Star Wars, but I'm still not blown away. I hope that this is more impressive when I see the full movie. But again,. it's Star Wars so I'll see it but Idon't think that this film was necessary. Han's introduction in ANH was perfect as is. Unlike Rogue One which actually had a lot to add to the saga as a whole and fit in well in the chronological films (new viewers should absolutely watch R1 prior to ANH), this film still seems like an aside to the saga and though it may turn out to be a fun ride I still don't think it has a suitable place within the saga as a whole.
"Your focus determines your reality." --Qui-Gon Jinn
"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." --John Lennon
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan