Star Trek - From TOS to Discovery and Beyond

Movies, books, television, sports, and games.
Master Magnus

Re: Star Trek - From TOS to Discovery and Beyond

Post by Master Magnus »

Today (or rather tomorrow on my part), Star Trek: Discovery continues on Netflix.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

So, the second half of the first season of Discovery has started and "Despite Yourself" (directed by Jonathan Frakes) was a darn good episode! I should say that quite possibly the best episode yet! There had been some foreshadowing and some things were predictable, but a things didn't quite go as I expected them to. I was quite surprised! (Though I must say one character acted stupid.)
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

The last episode of Discovery, "The Wolf Inside" was a very predictable one and not as good as the previous episode.
Zapp Brannigan

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Discovery was just meh before the season break, but I gotta say, this show is officially off the chain now. Been hearing a lot of people hate these new twists, but I'm all on board.
Formerly known as Dark Helmet :vader:

"When I'm in command, every mission is a suicide-mission." :cool:
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: January 26th, 2018, 11:01 pm Discovery was just meh before the season break, but I gotta say, this show is officially off the chain now. Been hearing a lot of people hate these new twists, but I'm all on board.
This isn't a spoiler thread, so I need to be vague, but I can't say that any of the major revelations were surprising. I also think they need to wrap up the current storyline quite soon. And I was a bit annoyed that the latest episode lasted only 34 minutes sans titles.
Zapp Brannigan

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Master Magnus wrote: January 27th, 2018, 2:49 am
Zapp Brannigan wrote: January 26th, 2018, 11:01 pm Discovery was just meh before the season break, but I gotta say, this show is officially off the chain now. Been hearing a lot of people hate these new twists, but I'm all on board.
This isn't a spoiler thread, so I need to be vague, but I can't say that any of the major revelations were surprising. I also think they need to wrap up the current storyline quite soon. And I was a bit annoyed that the latest episode lasted only 34 minutes sans titles.
Really? You even saw the last one coming? I'm impressed. That part blew me away. Though I gotta admit, I've been watching these from the "high ground", if you catch my drift. So I may have missed some subtle clues.

Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Zapp Brannigan wrote: January 27th, 2018, 12:54 pm
Master Magnus wrote: January 27th, 2018, 2:49 am
Really? You even saw the last one coming? I'm impressed. That part blew me away. Though I gotta admit, I've been watching these from the "high ground", if you catch my drift. So I may have missed some subtle clues.
Yes, as soon as the current story line became evident, the more than subtle hints that had been dropped became clear (especially in the episode before the seadon break).
Zapp Brannigan

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Master Magnus wrote: January 27th, 2018, 2:27 pm Yes, as soon as the current story line became evident, the more than subtle hints that had been dropped became clear (especially in the episode before the seadon break).
Yeah, that's what I thought was so cool, the fact that a few things that I brushed off as just character development things actually had a significance to the story. Definitely excited for tomorrow's episode. I was a bit annoyed by the shortness of last week's episode as well, so definitely hoping we get a longer one.

Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

And the last episode of the season was a rush job... There were a few episodes I liked, but overall the series is... uneven is a kind word for it. They should have set it at least 50 years after Voyager instead.
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Master Magnus wrote: February 14th, 2018, 2:45 pm And the last episode of the season was a rush job... There were a few episodes I liked, but overall the series is... uneven is a kind word for it. They should have set it at least 50 years after Voyager instead.
It's too bad. I've got a couple months of All Access at a reduced rate (signed up mainly to get some of the CBS playoff games), so I'll be diving back in. But based on what you've said, and other reviews, my expectations aren't high. I think I've seen the first 3 episodes. So I'll probably dive back in this weekend starting with episode 4.
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

So I dived back in this weekend with a binge of episodes 4 through 10 (plus the corresponding "After Trek" episodes). I was pleasantly surprised given my low opinion of the first three episodes.

SPOILERS below. I tried to figure out spoiler tags, but apparently don't know what I'm doing there.

Episode 4:
Things still felt a bit shaky here with another colossal moment of stupidity with the security chief deciding to just open the force field to cut off a claw from the tardigrade. What a waste of Rekha Sharma. After BSG, was looking forward to seeing her in an ongoing sci-fi show. But, the show was moving into some interesting areas with the tardigrade and eventually using it to travel via the spore drive. Reminded me of Voyager's "Equinox" and I liked the morally difficult areas they would explore with this thread, and enjoyed seeing Michael working to help the tardigarde over the next few episodes, ultimately doing what was best for it.

Episode 5:
This was easily the best episode up to this point with no glaring stupid moments from characters. I liked much of what we saw here. Ash Tyler was a nice addition to the show and I appreciated the uncertainty of whether he could be trusted, something they did not overplay. Watching him and Lorca fighting their way out together was great. Harry Mudd was a nice addition, though big mistake leaving him there. I wouldn't trust him or want him around, but leaving that sort of guy around to scheme and plot revenge against you? Not a good idea. Meanwhile, on board Discovery, Saru was one character I had not been liking much up to this point, but his stint in the captain's chair went a long way towards changing that. He was in a difficult spot, but handled it well. Also, I just loved the mirror scene at the end. Freaky, but cool.

Episode 6:
Not as entertaining to me as the previous episode, but still solid. I'm still not thrilled with the Vulcan background for Burnham, but they had some interesting details in here, especially Sarek having to choose between Michael and Sarek and that choice being a waste in the end with Spock choosing another path. I was much more interested in Admiral Cornwell, who I'm loving. Interesting dynamic between her and Lorca, and it certainly seemed like the latter was willing to sacrifice her to delay/prevent losing his ship.

Episode 7:
I imagine this will be one of the fan favorites of the season. I did like it, though I still favor episode 5. I'm glad they didn't keep us waiting too long for Mudd's revenge. The time loop aspect was neat, but we've seen this before with Cause and Effect. I didn't find as much impact here because of that. Still, fun episode.

Episode 8:
Not as interesting as some of the other episodes, though I liked the Star Trek feel to this episode with them being down on a planet exploring, and finding beings interested in peace between them and the Klingons. Feels right out of TOS. Certainly, good set up for the next episode.

Episode 9:
Mid-season finale. Pretty solid. I liked the discomfort generated in watching them make so many jumps, knowing its taking a terrible toll on Stamets. I didn't catch this myself, but appreciated the nod to RDM/BSG/"33" with the number 133 for the total number of jumps as pointed out on "After Trek." Was not expecting that Klingon leader and his ship of the dead to be defeated/destroyed, but well done. Besides Stamets and the spore drive, more difficult material with Ash and his torture/imprisonment...heavy, but important/real themes.

Episode 10:
Pretty solid start to this Mirror Universe arc, however long it lasts. Some of the details I liked were those torture chambers, the way the bridge crew responded to Burnham killing her successor in the turbolist and how they saluted her and the Empire. Also, "After Trek" gave some details on some of the various medals the crew wore and earned, one for instance signifying 50 kills. Felt like video game badges. Nice touch. Enjoyed the reference to Defiant and Enterprise's Mirror episodes. Interested in seeing how they connect and where this goes. Definitely dreading what the Mirror Discovery could be up to in the other universe, which I think they suggested is where its at. And wondering who the Emperor is...someone we know, I'm guessing.
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Master Magnus wrote: February 14th, 2018, 2:45 pm And the last episode of the season was a rush job... There were a few episodes I liked, but overall the series is... uneven is a kind word for it. They should have set it at least 50 years after Voyager instead.
Yeah. I thought the series found more stable footing in the middle with episodes 5 through 9. I was excited about where things were at and they seemed poised for a strong finish. Unfortunately, I was not too pleased with episodes 11 through 15.

SPOILERS below.

I had commented in my thoughts above about episodes 9 and 10 that they were presenting "difficult material with Ash and his torture/imprisonment." I wondered how they were going to connect with Enterprise's Mirror Universe (MU) eps and the Defiant (which Discovery had specifically name-dropped). As with a lot of other things, these ideas/details went nowhere.

It was disappointing that after a promising first episode in the MU, the rest of the way all we got was a fight for the throne in more elaborately dressed up rooms/hallways. All the interesting questions about Lorca and where he was headed and what he was up to just gets chalked up to him being EVIL because he's from the MU. And then he gets killed off.

The complexity and horror of what Ash had gone through got easily handled by whatever L'Rell did to him and he seemed just fine the rest of the way. And what was her plan, anyway? What was the undercover Klingon bit supposed to accomplish?

The Terran Emperor being given command of Discovery for the critical mission at the Klingon homeworld was baffling to me. You know what would have been interesting if they wanted to use a Terran officer/character...Lorca. He was the captain of the ship all season and knows that crew, and for us as viewers it would have been interesting to see him back in the center chair knowing who he really was and from where. That could have worked out due to him failing in his coup and being forced to retreat back to the Prime Universe (possibly with us the viewers knowing who he really was but not Burnham and the others); and/or he could have been given a more interesting goal within the MU than toppling the Emperor for power. Either way, all the time spent with him could have been paid off in a more interesting way by including him in the last couple episodes.

The stuff with Stamets and his counterpart also seemed like a waste of time when the solution was just him waking up (and with the MU version then just killed).

The final episode: I was puzzled by the scenes on the planet...didn't seem so Klingon-like. There's a war raging, but humans wandering around was okay? Felt like that kind of den would have been fine on another planet, but not there. And how disappointing that the Klingon situation is resolved by just handing L'Rell a bomb to hold the other Houses hostage. All the time spent with her early in the season and the whole thing with Voq, and in the end she hasn't really accomplished anything on her own and just gets handed a detonator. And we're supposed to believe that's all it takes to unite the 24 Houses. That's a laughable note on which to end the war for this season.

I really wish they hadn't tried to cram in so much this season. It's not enough to just through throw whatever you can at the screen to entertain and keep things moving. I want events and the characters to be well thought out, consistently portrayed, and to make some kind of sense.

I'm definitely interested enough to keep watching, though I'm not sure whether I'll sign up for All Access when the new season begins or wait.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

borgmatrix wrote: March 19th, 2018, 9:17 am
Yeah. I thought the series found more stable footing in the middle with episodes 5 through 9. I was excited about where things were at and they seemed poised for a strong finish. Unfortunately, I was not too pleased with episodes 11 through 15.

SPOILERS below.

I had commented in my thoughts above about episodes 9 and 10 that they were presenting "difficult material with Ash and his torture/imprisonment." I wondered how they were going to connect with Enterprise's Mirror Universe (MU) eps and the Defiant (which Discovery had specifically name-dropped). As with a lot of other things, these ideas/details went nowhere.
Although I liked a few of the MU episodes, I think it was far too early: One must learn to know the characters a bit more. I also found that the portrayal of the MU was inconsistent with the rest of the shows (when was people from the MU shown to be sensitive to light?).
borgmatrix wrote:The final episode: I was puzzled by the scenes on the planet...didn't seem so Klingon-like. There's a war raging, but humans wandering around was okay? Felt like that kind of den would have been fine on another planet, but not there. And how disappointing that the Klingon situation is resolved by just handing L'Rell a bomb to hold the other Houses hostage. All the time spent with her early in the season and the whole thing with Voq, and in the end she hasn't really accomplished anything on her own and just gets handed a detonator. And we're supposed to believe that's all it takes to unite the 24 Houses. That's a laughable note on which to end the war for this season.

Yes, I found that odd as well. I liked Clint Howard's cameo though. And the bomb... A poor, contrived idea.
borgmatrix wrote:I'm definitely interested enough to keep watching, though I'm not sure whether I'll sign up for All Access when the new season begins or wait.
I'm glad it's on Netflix here in Sweden (and in most other countries). And the small things continues to annoy me (such as the bridge window instead of a viewscreen, a decision that was made by Orci/Kurtzman for ST: 2009 to justify the location of the bridge at the top of the saucer).

Anyway, I've been watching some of Voyager on Netflix. When it aired on Swedish public service, I really thought it was poor. And while it is the weakest of the shows, I must say that when it was good, then it was really good (but on the other hand, when it was bad, it really sucked). I didn't like Janeway earlier, but I now think she's an alright character (and Tuvok, the Doctor and also Seven, are good characters as well). How could one watch linear television... :P

I still think Voyager has the best theme music...
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Master Magnus wrote: March 22nd, 2018, 2:33 pm Although I liked a few of the MU episodes, I think it was far too early: One must learn to know the characters a bit more. I also found that the portrayal of the MU was inconsistent with the rest of the shows (when was people from the MU shown to be sensitive to light?).
Would it surprise you that they actually planned on featuring the MU early in the season, but held off for the reason you mentioned...better to know our characters better first.

The eye sensitivity thing was clearly there purely to serve as a clue to Lorca's identity. Like you said, nonsense, as we've never seen this before despite numerous MU episodes over previous series.
Anyway, I've been watching some of Voyager on Netflix. When it aired on Swedish public service, I really thought it was poor. And while it is the weakest of the shows, I must say that when it was good, then it was really good (but on the other hand, when it was bad, it really sucked). I didn't like Janeway earlier, but I now think she's an alright character (and Tuvok, the Doctor and also Seven, are good characters as well). How could one watch linear television... :P
Even so, I don't think I'll be revisiting it anytime soon, if ever.
I still think Voyager has the best theme music...
I always liked it. Enterprise's was by far the worst, IMO.

On another note, I was reading something earlier today, briefly, about the Star Trek tv and movie rights getting closer to "reunification" under one roof and how that might impact the franchise moving forward.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Anson Mount joins the cast of Star Trek: Discovery as Captain Christopher Pike: TrekCore
Cassus Fett

Post by Cassus Fett »

Multiple new Star Trek series are in bound. Rumour that Patrick Stewart is on board.

New animated series, series about star fleet academy and one based around Khan
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Cassus Fett wrote: June 20th, 2018, 8:41 am Multiple new Star Trek series are in bound. Rumour that Patrick Stewart is on board.

New animated series, series about star fleet academy and one based around Khan
You beat me to it... :D Yes, Star Trek is getting Marvelized and I'm not on board with it and Stewart will undoubtedly be the token old Trek actor just as Nimoy was in the reboot. Anyway, here's the link to the original story: Variety
Cassus Fett

Post by Cassus Fett »

It was bound to happen. With the success of Marvel and now Star Wars, it was innevtiable that Trek got aboard.

If this is successful we may see a new era of Sci-fi shows
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Master Magnus wrote: June 20th, 2018, 1:56 pm You beat me to it... :D Yes, Star Trek is getting Marvelized and I'm not on board with it and Stewart will undoubtedly be the token old Trek actor just as Nimoy was in the reboot. Anyway, here's the link to the original story: Variety
Hadn't heard the Patrick Stewart detail. If there's any chance of that leading to a TNG TV movie or miniseries to give them a better send off, I'd love that.

I don't mind this, mainly because it's always felt to me like there was so much potential with the Trek universe for rich, wide storytelling (like with SW), but they never seemed to go there and always kept things so small scale.
Cassus Fett

Post by Cassus Fett »

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/4/17651 ... new-series

He's back. Will this pick up from post Enterprise, perhaps in an Admiral role?
toVor

Post by toVor »

So far,I've only read that it's about the next chapter in Picard's life but what does that mean? Will he be commanding yet another ship, or be an admiral commanding several, or just a retired former officer living back on his family vineyard in France? What about the other members of TNG?
"Your focus determines your reality." --Qui-Gon Jinn
"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." --John Lennon
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

toVor wrote: August 7th, 2018, 2:09 am So far,I've only read that it's about the next chapter in Picard's life but what does that mean? Will he be commanding yet another ship, or be an admiral commanding several, or just a retired former officer living back on his family vineyard in France? What about the other members of TNG?
Nothing is really known at this point other than him returning to the role and that its set approximately 20 years after Nemesis. Patrick said Picard will "possibly" no longer be a captain, and that sounded like it was just based on how far after Nemesis this is. At the convention this past weekend in Vegas, where he announced it, he said they are still talking storylines. So there really aren't any details at this point about the content. Based on what Alex Kurtzman said, who came out first and said a few words before introducing Patrick, this will be a show on CBS All Access.
Patrick Stewart convention LV18.jpg
Patrick Stewart convention LV18.jpg (35.3 KiB) Viewed 77539 times
Definitely a highlight of the convention. We were told in advance to expect a surprise after Shatner's appearance and to stick around, but we didn't know what it would involve. The day of, there was mention of an announcement from Kurtzman, so I was thinking it would be just be him with some new details about Discovery or the Trek shorts that'll be on All Access. Place erupted when he announced Patrick Stewart.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Ethan Peck will portray Spock in the second season of Star Trek: Discovery: The Hollywood Reporter
Cassus Fett

Post by Cassus Fett »

First episode ot Discovery season two has aired. Not tio bad a few major plot holes in canon.

Why did Spok never mention Micheal at all?
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Cassus Fett wrote: January 24th, 2019, 9:26 am First episode ot Discovery season two has aired. Not tio bad a few major plot holes in canon.

Yeah, I watched it last Friday. It was decent, but the pod travel sequence was way over the top. The second season will supposedly explain why he never mentioned Burnham.
Cassus Fett

Post by Cassus Fett »

Master Magnus wrote: January 24th, 2019, 9:54 am
Cassus Fett wrote: January 24th, 2019, 9:26 am First episode ot Discovery season two has aired. Not tio bad a few major plot holes in canon.

Yeah, I watched it last Friday. It was decent, but the pod travel sequence was way over the top. The second season will supposedly explain why he never mentioned Burnham.

Yeah i thought that as well. Will be interesting to see how they will explain this.

It seems to have gone quiet on the Picard series. I do still hope we see the Enterprise in this, as well as Riker.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Cassus Fett wrote: January 25th, 2019, 8:39 am
Master Magnus wrote: January 24th, 2019, 9:54 am

Yeah i thought that as well. Will be interesting to see how they will explain this.

It seems to have gone quiet on the Picard series. I do still hope we see the Enterprise in this, as well as Riker.
No, there have been plenty of news about the Picard series. I read an article just now about the premise: Digital Spy
Cassus Fett

Post by Cassus Fett »

Thank you Magnus, must have been looking in the wrong place
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Cassus Fett wrote: January 26th, 2019, 4:12 am Thank you Magnus, must have been looking in the wrong place
You're welcome! :)

I watched the second episode of the second season of Star Trek: Discovery yesterday and I must say that I think it was pretty darn good. There were a few annoyances (Tilly, among them), but it's one of the episodes that has come the closest to classic Trek yet both storywise and with a bridge crew that's actually working together.
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

So I signed up for a free month of All Access to get the CBS NFL playoff games. Last night, my brother and I attempted to watch the first episode of Discovery's new season, but were stymied by the app on Roku not working right (and the website too). We'll maybe give it another try tonight.

One of the reviews I read put forth the hope that Discovery wouldn't tie its success too strongly to revisiting/reliving aspects of Classic Trek at the expense of its own identity, which the reviewer saw as a possible negative as the season progresses.

I'll comment once I've gotten started on the new season, but I'm just hoping for much better than season 1.