Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Discuss Episodes 7-9 here.
Kapit

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Kapit »

Talcy wrote: December 8th, 2017, 4:38 pm
Kapit wrote: December 7th, 2017, 8:31 am The Visual Dictionary has leaked:

https://imgur.com/a/EC0jP
Yup. I gave in. There are spoilers but only for certain character backgrounds and for the opening sections of the movie, from what I gather.
Seems they did a good job keeping it as vanilla as possible.

I think these images will be the last spoilers I take in. Based on this book and the early reactions it seems we're in for a hell of a ride.
Former member of the EUDF - Dishonorably Discharged
Darth Bangkok

Post by Darth Bangkok »

I just checked the theater website again. More shows were added. Just got my ticket for tonight!!! Less than three hours to go!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!! Wooohooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rebel: :imperial: :rebel: :vader: :r2: :falcon: :cheers: :bb8: :w00t:
Darth Bangkok

Post by Darth Bangkok »

I saw it. I think I'll just leave it at that.
Master Shrive

Post by Master Shrive »

Just saw it here in Aus. I'm certainly keen to hear people's thoughts.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

I saw it 13 hours ago. I'm still processing my emotions. I laughed at times and it threw a curve ball or two. I picked a couple before my friend who saw the film also. Spoilers pics I had seen from the set seem to have ended up on cutting room floor or could be possibly used for Ep 9.

I know is that Ep 9 will be definitely different to what would have been planned due to Carrie's death. You could see where they were headed and now the future is in motion.
Remember, the Force will be with you always.
Darth Bangkok

Post by Darth Bangkok »

I saw it again to make sure. My opinion hasn't changed.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Darth Bangkok wrote: December 14th, 2017, 12:20 pm I saw it again to make sure. My opinion hasn't changed.
I take it that you didn't like it?

I haven't seen it yet. I thought of going today, but I was too tired after work.
Darth Bangkok

Post by Darth Bangkok »

I don't want to influence anyone's opinion before they see it, or bring them down, but no. I really really didn't like it. I can't say that about any of the other movies. Even the prequels had something redeeming about them - an element of the story at a minimum.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Darth Bangkok wrote: December 14th, 2017, 1:41 pm I don't want to influence anyone's opinion before they see it, or bring them down, but no. I really really didn't like it. I can't say that about any of the other movies. Even the prequels had something redeeming about them - an element of the story at a minimum.
Thanks! :) I'm staying away from spoilers (I squint my eyes hard when visiting this thread :P), but I've read quite a few other reviews that says the same thing. I don't like TFA and I'm fearing that Rogue One will be the only Disney/LFL movie I'll like. I'll keep an open mind about it.
Darth Bangkok

Post by Darth Bangkok »

Yeah, want you to keep an open mind. But now you will know for sure you are watching a Disney movie, you are reminded every few minutes. They kept their hands off a bit with TFA and Rogue One. But now..........
Darth Bangkok

Post by Darth Bangkok »

Maybe, as a fan of Star Wars, I can simply encourage people to go see it the second weekend. Of course, I can't tell anyone not to bother seeing it.

But given what's transpired, trailers, "critic" reviews, news articles, the actual movie, etc, disney is clearly only interested in breaking opening weekend records and getting its cash quickly. Least we can do is not support the cause.

I saw TFA 13 times in theatres when it came out. Probably at least 6 opening weekend. I'm stopping now for this one.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

I prefer to see this one more than TFA. I need to see it again to decide where in the order I like it. It's more complex than AOTC.

Some things I like, but others are hard to describe how they make me feel.
Remember, the Force will be with you always.
Darth Fool

Post by Darth Fool »

All year I've struggled to be interested in this film and had kind of forgotten it was coming out, but I saw it yesterday and quite liked it actually. I had a few problems with it but overall thought it was a huge improvement over TFA. I think Rogue One is the best of the new bunch, but I'm keen to see this one again and curious about what will happen in the next episode.
Javen

Post by Javen »

When I first heard Rian was helming a SW movie and you can go back in these posts to see my angst, I wasn't happy about it. I knew it would be different and probably wouldn't like it...but I was wrong. I seen it last night and got home at midnight.

My reaction after seeing it. I knew some things going in but not huge things. I did not read leaks...at least the real money shots that is. And while it's still fresh in my mind this will be a bit of rambling.

First I was waiting to go in and there were these teenagers and one was explaining about Anakin and other stories of Star Wars. It was cool as they listened. And there was this little girl who had her hair like Rey's with the three knots or whatever in her hair. Was cool. No one dressed up, but a fun crowd to watch it with.

It's different, mature, and metaphorical. It is fantastic, imo. It went down roads I didn't expect, did things that blew my mind and a few things that were even a bit out of the norm and say,wtf? This movie plays with you, made me laugh,made me sad, happy and cheer. It's not as fast paced as TFA, but still moves. There are a few slow down scenes and a few I didn't like, but that's ok. It has some originality to it, not the whole movie, but just so radically different, emotional, powerful and funny. The structure is not like a normal movie, but for sure influenced by Eastern movies.

Is it a masterpiece? No. Is it awesome? Yes. Has some flaws? Sure. My favorite? No ANH will always be my favorite. But, wow, this movie is cool and had heart. And it went places. It did not just go nowhere. I found myself on the edge of my seat alot and caring about people. Yes it needs processing. Alot to take in in 2 and half hours. This move does a complete 180 from TFA and almost forgets it even existed. I say almost but it really doesn't. It just waits for the right moments to remind you of what you might have forgotten.

So much about characters that got attention and Mark and Daisy were great together, as well as her and Adam Driver. The dynamic between Daisy and Mark and Daisy and Adam was awesome chemistry. Carrie was good and can tell she was more comfortable this time around. Poe's arc is awesome. So many characters to love.

I want to see it again, right now, this minute, but I will again tomorrow. The third act alone is so damn suspenseful and awesome. I had so much fun and so much to think on. Rian is rebel and I applaud him.
Kapit

Post by Kapit »

I still don't have complete thoughts about this movie but I know I absolutely adore it. I know it's going to be a terribly divisive movie with the fanbase because how incredibly different it is for a Star Wars movie but that is exactly why I loved it so. It was not at all what I expected and I cannot wait to see it again, and again, and again...
Former member of the EUDF - Dishonorably Discharged
Darth Bangkok

Post by Darth Bangkok »

Wow, I am surprised to read these first reactions. I thought the film was absolutely awful from start to finish, there is practically nothing I liked about it. I was reading comments on other sites and let some of my frustration go already, but was glad to see that I wasn't the only one that thought this. Was not expecting such good reactions from this forum, but glad you guys liked it.
Javen

Post by Javen »

I'm surprised by some of the awful reactions. Cause it for sure isn't, but to each their own.
bango31

Post by bango31 »

There are elements I absolutely did not like. Certain parts of the story could have been axed--and some characters, too--while other areas could have used more time. I was really hoping for more on The Island, but it's not fair to hold the movie to the standard of what I wanted. I think The Island stuff was handled quite well and was the best exploration of the nature of the Force since Yoda trained Luke.
I want to be Grand Admiral Thrawn when I grow up.
DblDwn

Post by DblDwn »

Initial thoughts are that I really liked it, but am still processing.

Spoiler warning, which seems redundant considering this is a spoiler thread, but I will say that, through two movies, Phasma and Snoke were both incredibly under-developed characters. Phasma, ok, but will we ever find out who Snoke was now?
toVor

Post by toVor »

Would it be legitimate to say that Luke was vastly underused as well? My biggest disappointment with TFA was its underusing of Luke, and his lack of screen time and dialogue. This film gave us an entirely unexpected evolution of Luke Skywalker and his path on that island took too long to bring him back to us, so to speak. However, when he showed up in the rebel base at the end, albeit merely a projection, it was what I had expected and hoped when the Falcon left the island. But his apparent "death" at the very end was, well, poignant but also disappointing. So will he appear to train Rey as a spirit in the last episode? If so, okay; but if not, then WTH?

I loved, seriously loved Yoda's scene.

The movie still, like the film before it, told us nothing about the Knights of Ren. Or were the Knights of Ren those guys in red in Snoke's throne room?
"Your focus determines your reality." --Qui-Gon Jinn
"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." --John Lennon
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan
DblDwn

Post by DblDwn »

Luke told Rey that Ben had killed all the students except for five that he took with him. I assume that is the Knights of Ren, who should take on a larger role in Episode IX, I hope.

Not for nothing but we never were given a name to Del Toro's character, and he did have the cheek scars that Ezra has on Rebels. Assuming he shows up in the next film, it will be interesting to see where they go with him.

Luke was somewhat underused in this, but he was already established from the OT. Snoke and Phasma were both new characters who were both overmarketed and overhyped, and both have now been killed without any substance to what made them who they were to begin with.
RedMirax

Post by RedMirax »

I saw it this morning and I think I'm still processing everything. I have never cried in Star Wars movies except these last three. I kind of wish one of these will just be fun, fighting, but no "death". I don't think I can put my thoughts into words right now. My husband didn't like it at all. I hope the things that still didn't get answered in this one get answered in 9. I really don't want to have to buy a book to find out some of this stuff as I've decided they won't be getting my money on any more books. I guess the only thing we do know for sure, which I knew all along, Luke is not Rey's dad!

I have mixed feelings. Some of it I liked, some things I didn't. I wouldn't say this one is one of my favorites. I think the humor was misplaced is some spots, it didn't seem natural? I think for Phasma to have been billed as a star is a joke, in both TFA and TLJ. I seem to be rambling. Sorry. :) I guess I don't know how I really feel about this one, yet. The one feeling I do have about it though, the ending was crappy! I really did not like that death.
Laugh it up fuzzball!

I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.
Vibroblade

Post by Vibroblade »

I'm having trouble forming an opinion of TLJ. Parts I liked and parts I didn't. This is certainly one of the best acted and directed SW movies. However, the direction Abrams decided to take the story likely led Johnson into making some decisions that I do not agree with. Frankly, I think they would have been better off to have left the original characters out all together. Maybe time will change my opinion but I left the theater hating the way Luke was written and the manner that he was written out. The character of Luke deserved a more fitting finale IMHO.

Right now, TLJ ranks only above TPM and AOTC on my list and worthy of a B- rating. Time will tell whether my opinion changes with repeat viewing and after I've had more time to process. My gut say this will not be a movie that time is kind to and I predict Disney will be underwhelmed by the long term BO performance. It'll drop drastically from TFA. I wouldn't be shocked if it drops to 600-650 in final BO and less than 1.4 billion ww.
toVor

Post by toVor »

Vibroblade? Now that's a name I have not heard in a long time...a long time.

Your assessment is pretty much the same as mine. Aside from leaving out the original characters though. But I would have done it very differently. I wanted to see Luke be a serious participant in Rey's training and the war to come.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan
toVor

Post by toVor »

Survey:
The truth about Rey's parents...
The truth spoken by Kylo, or a lie to confuse and/or sway her?
Darth Bangkok

Post by Darth Bangkok »

I don't think we should have any surveys on where we think the story is going. Because there is no story anymore. The reason all the directors were fired by disney was that they wouldn't include all of their #$%#$%^ in the movie. Rian Johnson, or whatever his name is, would sell out.

Everything that happened in the movie is to set something up - a spin off or whatever. Nothing is a natural part of the story anymore, just a lot of things shoehorned in for commercial reasons.

The movie was complete bolloks. Why did the movie even end with that last scene? So freaking disney - just crap. Finn and Rey didn't even know if Luke Skywalker was real in TFA, but now we are supposed to believe that these kids who are basically slaves with no contact with the outside world are playing with Luke Skywalker toys, literally only days after the events of TFA? And the kid is force sensitive and uses it to grab his mop? GImme a break. Luke never even new he had "something inside him", let alone use the force before he met Obi Wan. And he went on to bring down both Sith at the same time. I guess we all know where this is heading now.

Luke Skywalker should have been established by now as the actual chosen one. There should be no discussion of "oh, Snoke is more powerful than Palpatine. Ren is more dark than Vader".

The movie was a complete cluster#$@% from the first to the last minute. Its now worse than the worst of the EU books.

Star Wars is dead.
Darth Fool

Post by Darth Fool »

toVor wrote: December 15th, 2017, 11:39 pm Survey:
I figure it's been written as truth, but could turn out to be a lie come episode IX.
Javen

Post by Javen »

I couldn't imagine Luke going out any other way. I always expected the Obi-Wan or a blaze of glory but neither felt Luke
Luke winning by outsmarting Kylo and showing off immense power and restraint simultaneously is pure Luke. Going in peace after saving the rebels AGAIN. That is Luke Skywalker. He didn't win with violence in ROTJ. He won by putting his weapons down and appealing to the greater good in Vader. He won not by raising a weapon against Kylo but by doing what needed done to save the rebellion. Beautifully done.
Javen

Post by Javen »

toVor wrote: December 15th, 2017, 11:39 pm Survey:
It's the truth and the cave scene even furthers that truth. Her being a nobody is more profound than her being a Skywalker, Solo, Kenobie, Emperor's clone and other crazy theories.

Kylo is being truthful just like Maz in TFA. She already knows the truth. She has an identity and that doesn't lie with her being from great bloodline. I'm glad this movie was different. The same old, same old what not have sufficed. She is just as important as anyone.
DblDwn

Post by DblDwn »

I also feel that, considering she changed the laws of physics/science/space/temperature/respiration/etc to survive Ackbar's final entrapment, Leia is clearly more powerful in the Force than anticipated. Considering Kylo couldn't fire the shot himself, presumably due to love and respect for her being that she is the only of his parents who is Force-sensitive, I suspect that her maternal appeal to Ben would have played some part in the conclusion of the trilogy. That said, since this is the direction they may have been going, I would be ok with JJ using CGI Carrie in Episode IX so that we get the conclusion that was intended.