Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Discuss Episodes 7-9 here.
Kapit

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Post by Kapit »

Siamese Sith wrote: July 4th, 2017, 5:00 pm ...this guy Mike Zeroh...
That dude has whiffed on a ton of stuff recently.
Former member of the EUDF - Dishonorably Discharged
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

Master Magnus wrote: July 6th, 2017, 1:42 am
Siamese Sith wrote: July 4th, 2017, 5:00 pm So the "who is Snoke?" Subject is making it's rounds around the interwebs again, and this guy Mike Zeroh is claiming the website comic book.com suggests.....based on a Lego figure that Snoke might be blind and if he is Snoke could be.................Kanaan Jarrus
https://youtu.be/mGrhzr2AS7w

And then there's the quote from FPJr regarding Kanan's enhanced abilities while under Bendu's tutalge...
http://comicbook.com/starwars/amp/2017/ ... s-in-the-/
Zeroh isn't a trustworthy source.
I kinda got the impression that he just puts up videos about whatever hits the web regardless of validity and plausibility hoping to get a bulls eye.
I also watch Collider's Jedi Counsel on Thursdays, Dash Star, Stupendous Wave and those two brothers at Star Wars HQ.
What are your feelings on these guys?
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Siamese Sith wrote: July 6th, 2017, 11:07 am
Master Magnus wrote: July 6th, 2017, 1:42 am
Siamese Sith wrote: July 4th, 2017, 5:00 pm So the "who is Snoke?" Subject is making it's rounds around the interwebs again, and this guy Mike Zeroh is claiming the website comic book.com suggests.....based on a Lego figure that Snoke might be blind and if he is Snoke could be.................Kanaan Jarrus
https://youtu.be/mGrhzr2AS7w

And then there's the quote from FPJr regarding Kanan's enhanced abilities while under Bendu's tutalge...
http://comicbook.com/starwars/amp/2017/ ... s-in-the-/
Zeroh isn't a trustworthy source.
I kinda got the impression that he just puts up videos about whatever hits the web regardless of validity and plausibility hoping to get a bulls eye.
Sort of, but he also posts stuff that obviously are incorrect (he 'leaked' an incorrect Episode VIII title and claimed General Hux is Luke's son).
Siamese Sith wrote:I also watch Collider's Jedi Counsel on Thursdays, Dash Star, Stupendous Wave and those two brothers at Star Wars HQ.
What are your feelings on these guys?
Haven't watched any of those. :)
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

At the D23 expo, Disney released behind the scenes footage of "The Last Jedi". You see many new creatures. Love the line on what must be the last take. It's both nice and sad as you see Carrie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye6GCY_ ... e=youtu.be
Remember, the Force will be with you always.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Star Wars twitter account released new teaser posters. I'm disappointed in the photographer as they have cut the top of the heads off. All characters are dressed in red.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/15 ... eral-leia/
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

thepepgal wrote: July 16th, 2017, 9:46 am At the D23 expo, Disney released behind the scenes footage of "The Last Jedi". You see many new creatures. Love the line on what must be the last take. It's both nice and sad as you see Carrie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye6GCY_ ... e=youtu.be
Yes, it's sad to see Carrie... Love the porgs!

Yes, I wonder what the artist meant with the posters.
Kapit

Post by Kapit »

Master Magnus wrote: July 16th, 2017, 4:55 pm Yes, I wonder what the artist meant with the posters.
I'd guess they're going for the more Western vibe with red, so power, anger/rage, violence, etc.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Kapit wrote: July 17th, 2017, 11:41 am
Master Magnus wrote: July 16th, 2017, 4:55 pm Yes, I wonder what the artist meant with the posters.
I'd guess they're going for the more Western vibe with red, so power, anger/rage, violence, etc.
I suppose you're right, but the cut-offs...
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Master Magnus wrote: July 17th, 2017, 4:38 pm I suppose you're right, but the cut-offs...
I reckon it gives the posters look more impact and menacing as you can't see their eyes. Alternatively they just need a new photographer as all shots had the eyes cut off. :wink:
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

That's just a coincidence, right? A playset that just happens to resemble the Death Star...: CelebLiveTV
Darth Bangkok

Post by Darth Bangkok »

Is is a death star or just a circular room?
Kapit

Post by Kapit »

Master Magnus wrote: August 14th, 2017, 2:06 pm That's just a coincidence, right? A playset that just happens to resemble the Death Star...: CelebLiveTV
The top section looks more like the bridge of a Star Destroyer than a Death Star.

That also lines up with rumors that Snoke has the First Order version of a Super Star Destroyer as his flagship.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Looking at that pic, it looks like it folds out (on all sides) from a circular shape. The inside looks like all Imperial / 1st Order large ships / planet killers.

Does this mean it is another Starkiller base, so keeps in the tradition of the rebuilding, what is destroyed in the 1st of the trilogy?
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

thepepgal wrote: September 12th, 2017, 1:47 pm Looking at that pic, it looks like it folds out (on all sides) from a circular shape. The inside looks like all Imperial / 1st Order large ships / planet killers.

Does this mean it is another Starkiller base, so keeps in the tradition of the rebuilding, what is destroyed in the 1st of the trilogy?
I don't think so. I think it's just a toy.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Don't forget that the TLJ trailer debuts during halftime in the Minnesota Vikings and Chicago Bears' Monday Night Football match tonight! :)
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

Initial feelings after 2 views so far
porgs are the new Ewoks, the trailer is cleverly spliced to make it look like Rey is talking to Kylo at the end.
Luke is scared of Rey???
Gorilla Walkers....meh
Where’s Lando!
Is Chewie using ancient Bothan pearl cream? he looks younger than in TFA!
Wow Rey still has both appendages!
Oh Kylo you’re not gonna do it.
I’ll try spinning, that’s a good trick.
Smoke and the amazing technicolor bathrobe
I still don’t care about Phasma, Poe or Finn.....
Darth Bangkok

Post by Darth Bangkok »

I don't care about Phasma or Poe either. Phasma should be dead, Poe is just one of many. Finn maybe, but he should probably have a new job by now.

I guess that overall the scenes are cut together to give one impression and the actual film will be another. Let's hope so anyway, otherwise what we have is The First Order Strikes Back with a little final scenes of RoTJ mixed in.

The walkers look like they are walking on their wrists/knuckles (hence the gorilla comment :laugh: )
Kapit

Post by Kapit »

Tons of fun to unpack here!
  • It seems like we're getting a giant space battle in the first act with the evacuation of D'Qar.
  • I'm stoked for Finn v. Phasma. I hope that fight is given time to play out.
  • I hope that little porg in the Falcon lives, and I hope we find out that he's the actual Last Jedi.
  • The trailer provides a nice fake out with Kylo and Leia. Considering that sequence is probably part of the evacuation of D'Qar which (probably) isn't too long after TFA, I don't think he has the willpower to kill both his parents in such a short amount of time.
  • Speaking of fake outs, that Kylo/Rey sequence at the end of the trailer! Seems pretty clear to me that they're two separate scenes but I think there's a real implication that some sort of relationship is established in this movie, sowing the seeds for 9.
  • I don't know what it is but my God those porgs are adorable.
  • Kylo's betrayal really did a number on Luke. Like, Yoda lost the entire Jedi Order and ended up just kinda grumpy about it but Luke veered straight into paranoid old man territory.
  • Really excited to see the Force Tree! That was in the comics two years ago and I've been patiently waiting for the payoff :laugh: .
  • Not sure why but I have a feeling Kylo ends up killing Snoke by the end of this movie.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

A good, but not great, trailer. I guess I'm too afraid to hope after TFA...

Before I went spoiler-free (see how well that turned out), there was a rumor going about that I didn't lend much credence to then, but that I now believe might be somewhat correct: That Luke refuses to train Rey and that Rey is training by herself in the shots we see her with the lightsaber. Rey becomes angry and frustrated by Luke and turns to Kylo/Snoke. Don't know if its true, but I think this trailer implicated that. Could also be related to the change to Luke's character that Hamill alluded to earlier.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

I thought the trailer was ok but not great. To me. it appears to be cut together to deceive and give illusions of characters talking to each other when they aren't.

Rey is being tortured by Snoke in a way that doesn't appear to be training, even though pain leads to the dark side.

Amazed that Finn is back to full health considering his injury were to his back.

I also wonder if scenes we see here, may end up not being in the film (aka Rogue One).
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

I think if all we saw was Rey handing the lightsaber to Luke and Grumpy Luke swinging it exactly the way he did the first time he held one in Ben Kenobi’s place in ANH I would’ve been more satisfied.....
Kapit

Post by Kapit »

Siamese Sith wrote: October 10th, 2017, 12:36 pm I think if all we saw was Rey handing the lightsaber to Luke and Grumpy Luke swinging it exactly the way he did the first time he held one in Ben Kenobi’s place in ANH I would’ve been more satisfied.....
Personal preference, but I know that's a surprise I would rather have in the theater than in a trailer.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Kapit wrote: October 10th, 2017, 1:20 pm
Siamese Sith wrote: October 10th, 2017, 12:36 pm I think if all we saw was Rey handing the lightsaber to Luke and Grumpy Luke swinging it exactly the way he did the first time he held one in Ben Kenobi’s place in ANH I would’ve been more satisfied.....
Personal preference, but I know that's a surprise I would rather have in the theater than in a trailer.
If the rumor I referred to earlier is true, we might not see that at all... Also, I wonder if Grumpy Luke will make it to the end of the movie? He seems wounded at 1:46.

And yes, the Porgs are adorable!
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

Ok serious question, who would win in a fight? Chewie’s Porg co pilot or Jar Jar?
Kapit

Post by Kapit »

Siamese Sith wrote: October 10th, 2017, 2:19 pm Ok serious question, who would win in a fight? Chewie’s Porg co pilot or Jar Jar?
Porg.

No contest.
Darth Bangkok

Post by Darth Bangkok »

After seeing the trailing, I get this uneasy feeling that Rey and Kylo are going to be revealed as brother and sister........ :oops:
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Darth Bangkok wrote: October 11th, 2017, 2:25 am After seeing the trailing, I get this uneasy feeling that Rey and Kylo are going to be revealed as brother and sister........ :oops:
Don't know about that though they might be related.

This is what I think will have happened at the end of TLJ in broad strokes: Rey will have turned to the Dark Side and joined Snoke (I believe Snoke's words in the beginning of the trailer actually are aimed at Rey, not Kylo) while Kylo will have returned from it, possibly following the death of Leia (and possibly Luke).

What will happen in IX? If what I speculate is true, will Rey be redeemed or will both she and Ben Solo die, ending the Skywalker line and the Jedi? I believe it could be the latter, but could it really go that dark?
Kapit

Post by Kapit »

Master Magnus wrote: October 11th, 2017, 5:28 am What will happen in IX? If what I speculate is true, will Rey be redeemed or will both she and Ben Solo die, ending the Skywalker line and the Jedi? I believe it could be the latter, but could it really go that dark?
That would be absolutely fantastic.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Master Magnus wrote: October 11th, 2017, 5:28 am This is what I think will have happened at the end of TLJ in broad strokes: Rey will have turned to the Dark Side and joined Snoke (I believe Snoke's words in the beginning of the trailer actually are aimed at Rey, not Kylo) while Kylo will have returned from it, possibly following the death of Leia (and possibly Luke).

What will happen in IX? If what I speculate is true, will Rey be redeemed or will both she and Ben Solo die, ending the Skywalker line and the Jedi? I believe it could be the latter, but could it really go that dark?
Considering Mark Hamill has been confirmed for Ep IX, it would be disappointing to see him as a ghost. Mark and Carrie were signed for 3 films.

I think that either Rey or Kylo will survive Ep IX as Disney will continue the main SW storyline. They didn't spend $4b to stop after making 6 new SW films.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

thepepgal wrote: October 11th, 2017, 10:24 am
Master Magnus wrote: October 11th, 2017, 5:28 am This is what I think will have happened at the end of TLJ in broad strokes: Rey will have turned to the Dark Side and joined Snoke (I believe Snoke's words in the beginning of the trailer actually are aimed at Rey, not Kylo) while Kylo will have returned from it, possibly following the death of Leia (and possibly Luke).

Considering Mark Hamill has been confirmed for Ep IX, it would be disappointing to see him as a ghost. Mark and Carrie were signed for 3 films.

I think that either Rey or Kylo will survive Ep IX as Disney will continue the main SW storyline. They didn't spend $4b to stop after making 6 new SW films.
Of course not, and even if the Skywalker saga was to end this way, there's no reason Disney can't be making more movies for 20+ years.