Last Television Show Watched

Movies, books, television, sports, and games.
Jack

Re: Last Television Show Watched

Post by Jack »

This week's episode of Arrow.

This season has been a VAST improvement in the show, the last several episodes especially. Glad to see it back on track.
"These bridges are clearly not built to code."
"Sure they are! The pirate code."
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

More Season Three Doctor Who, "The Sound of Drums."
Lord Tesla
Witty remark, snappy saying or catch phrase forthcoming
Rollafett

Post by Rollafett »

Twin Peaks, 4 episodes from season 2.

Mrs. Rollafett had to talk me into watching this years ago, and I didn't regret it. Now, a new season is fast approaching on Showtime and we want to refresh our memories prior to. It's still good, but good lord, is the pacing flat out glacial. I've had to fight off nodding off several times. Now, that's not to say that it is bad....it's quite good, in fact, but the pacing is far slower than I recall, and we haven't even ventured into where the show pretty much went off the rails about halfway through the 2nd season.

All of that said, very much looking forward to the new season in May.
"All right, look, there's only one "Return," okay, and it ain't "of the King," it's "of the Jedi."
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

Rollafett wrote: April 2nd, 2017, 5:07 pm Twin Peaks, 4 episodes from season 2.

Mrs. Rollafett had to talk me into watching this years ago, and I didn't regret it. Now, a new season is fast approaching on Showtime and we want to refresh our memories prior to. It's still good, but good lord, is the pacing flat out glacial. I've had to fight off nodding off several times. Now, that's not to say that it is bad....it's quite good, in fact, but the pacing is far slower than I recall, and we haven't even ventured into where the show pretty much went off the rails about halfway through the 2nd season.

All of that said, very much looking forward to the new season in May.
Good Grief, they've brought back Twin Peaks?

Never missed an episode during the original run, but dang if can remember much about it other than the log lady and Agent Mulder in drag...and something about...pie?

Oh, well.

Last television show I watched was...

The Walking Dead, season 7 finale. Best episode of the season, slow start apart. Do we have spoiler tags? Let's see. Okay, that's a negative, so I'll keep my comments to myself. Say this, it rectified a situation that had existed since episode 7.1, and which drained most of the enjoyment from the season for me, up until tonight. Outstanding.

Waitaminnit...I must be more tired than I realized: after that, I watched Into the Badlands and then Talking Dead, as well.
Lord Tesla
Jack

Post by Jack »

Last night's excellent Walking Dead finale and last week's typically mediocre Supergirl.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Last week's Legends of Tomorrow.
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

Tuesday's Marvel's Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. Not bad. More fun than Tuesday night's movie...
Lord Tesla
Jack

Post by Jack »

The season finale of Legends of Tomorrow. I can't ever tell if the show wants to be campy or serious. More often than not, it finds a balance somewhere between, but it's still an odd combination.
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

Humans, Episode 1.6. Pretty good.
Lord Tesla
Jjm3233

Post by Jjm3233 »

Powerless

Fear the Walking Dead (with my oldest Son) S.1 ep.4

Digimon (with my younger son)
Jack

Post by Jack »

Comic Book Men S01E05.
Jjm3233

Post by Jjm3233 »

Some Burn Notice.
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

Continuing a run through The X-Files, I watched... "GenderBender." Not pretty. I think I'm about halfway through that first season, and it's amazing to me how rough these early episodes are. I wonder not only only why I'm watching them again (other than that they're there, and I haven't seen them a gazillion times), but why I ever kept watching them in the first place. Of course, television was a different proposition then, and there wasn't really anything else like The X-Files.
Lord Tesla
Jack

Post by Jack »

The Detroit Tigers (loss :( ) vs. the Boston Red Sox.
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

Into the Badlands: Episode 2.4 (if memory serves) "Palm of the Iron Fox." They come up with some titles...
Lord Tesla
Jack

Post by Jack »

Comic Book Men S02E02 & E03
kommandant felix

Post by kommandant felix »

Been re-watching the A-Team with my family lately!

I forgot how much I loved that show. All the gratuitous violence, gunfire, and car crashes...and none of the messy cleanup! It's so 80's...and that's why it's so great. Also, the catchphrase "I love it when a plan comes together" is the best. :lol:
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

The X-Files, Season One: "Young at Heart." I continue to be amazed that the program made such an impact at the time, until, of course, I recall the time, which I do just before nodding off and missing the payoff, as I did last night.
Lord Tesla
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Lord Tesla wrote: April 13th, 2017, 1:23 pm The X-Files, Season One: "Young at Heart." I continue to be amazed that the program made such an impact at the time, until, of course, I recall the time, which I do just before nodding off and missing the payoff, as I did last night.
I don't think I ever saw the first season. Maybe not even the second. I think I started watching during the 3rd. I imagine, by that point, that it was more like a well-oiled machine, and smoother in presentation and overall quality. Of course, it eventually sank in its final couple seasons. But I remember those middle seasons as being quite good, quite effective.

Never seriously considered rewatching the series because the last few left such a bad taste in my mouth and pretty much destroyed any enthusiasm I used to have for the show. Surprised myself by watching the 6 new episodes they released a year or two ago, but found those largely disappointing.

It was among my favorite shows when it was on, probably seasons 3-5 or so, but boy its not on my list of favorites now.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Some more CBM. Don't remember which ones.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

A few episodes of the seventh season of Modern Family on Netflix.
Jack

Post by Jack »

CBM.
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

Humans, Episode 1.8. Interesting, open-ended, but that's what season 2 is for. One criticism I would make is that there a virtual blackout on the technique by which these beings are made, programmed, and operate in this fictional universe. They run off wall current, and have rechargeable batteries, but, otherwise, their technical details, which I would think a good source of story material, is ignored or glossed over with vague muttering about "code." I suppose it's a matter of the program about the people, not the technology, as The Walking Dead is about people, not zombies.
Lord Tesla
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

borgmatrix wrote: April 13th, 2017, 3:41 pm
Lord Tesla wrote: April 13th, 2017, 1:23 pm The X-Files, Season One: "Young at Heart." I continue to be amazed that the program made such an impact at the time, until, of course, I recall the time, which I do just before nodding off and missing the payoff, as I did last night.
I don't think I ever saw the first season. Maybe not even the second. I think I started watching during the 3rd. I imagine, by that point, that it was more like a well-oiled machine, and smoother in presentation and overall quality. Of course, it eventually sank in its final couple seasons. But I remember those middle seasons as being quite good, quite effective.

Never seriously considered rewatching the series because the last few left such a bad taste in my mouth and pretty much destroyed any enthusiasm I used to have for the show. Surprised myself by watching the 6 new episodes they released a year or two ago, but found those largely disappointing.

It was among my favorite shows when it was on, probably seasons 3-5 or so, but boy its not on my list of favorites now.
I missed only one episode, which I believe was a Lone Gunmen story..."Three of a Kind," I think. (The airdate was 2 May 1999, if memory serves, and that fits the timeline: I set the VCR and went to the midnight toy launch for TPM at Toys 'r' Us; VCR malfunctioned, as I discovered when I went to catch up. But, if memory serves, they often replayed episodes a short time later on FX, in those days, and I was able to catch up.)

I remember the first season as being a lot better than it looks now, but, that was then, as I noted: TV's a lot different now, and a lot of pixels have passed through the pupil since then. But my memory is usually a lot better, and a lot less prone to nostalgic fuzziness, than that.

The program definitely went into steep decline after Season Five, with Duchovny acting up, shooting moving to sunny Southern California from gloomy Vancouver, which trashed the program's atmospherics, and the increasing dead weight of the inconsistent, inconclusive, and insoluble mythology choking the story.

I'm trying to go through the whole series again--I mean, the discs are there, why not? It's not as if there's anything new on TV it's interfering with--for the second time. The last time was right after the DVDs started to come out, and the quality differential made me sad enough to stop. I'm closing in on the end of Season One now. Next month, probably, onward to Season Two, Scully's abduction, and all that weird stuff!

I thought the recent "event" series was interesting, and really pretty good. They put it back together with remarkable accuracy, I thought. I didn't much like them leaving us on one of those patented cliffhangers promising revelations too-good-to-be-true, which they never delivered on, and so were. But I'd tune in again, just to see if they could prove me wrong this time.
Lord Tesla
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

The X-Files:"Miracle Man."
Lord Tesla
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Episode of Law & Order: Criminal Intent. And before that, the Cavs comeback over the Pacers in game 3 last night.
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

Doctor Who, Series 4, "Fires of Pompeii." First time I made it all the way through the episode without nodding off.
Lord Tesla
Jack

Post by Jack »

Some more CBM.
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

The X-Files, from season one, "Shapes." Alas, it induced snores.
Lord Tesla
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Lord Tesla wrote: March 27th, 2017, 4:59 pm That said, I'm not having as much fun with it as I did in the earlier seasons, for reasons I won't go into in details about since you're not caught up. Suffice it to say that I think they're having having some trouble because of the constraints production places on the story.
I think you're right.

I've been hot and cold on the series, I think because the show runs the same way. Stretches of it are very compelling, while others are boring and overstay their welcome. I'll probably dive back in a some point.
Now, Into the Badlands--have you seen Season One? I can wholehearted recommend it. Just six episodes, really quite entertaining. A different post-apocalyptic scenario, plenty of martial arts action. Good pacing. Good performances. Interesting mysteries.
Haven't seen any of it. But I think I need to bump it up to the top of my list. Sounds great.