Live-action: "Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi" *Spoilers allowed*

thepepgal

Re: The Obi-Wan Kenobi series

Post by thepepgal »

I can't see all six episodes only being on Tatooine which Obi Wan means will probably travel off world.
Remember, the Force will be with you always.
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

Are the episodes run time 1 hour?
6 hours of Obi Wan Kenobi :w00t:
With the gravity of his purpose on Tatooine I'm kinda thinking he won't. I suspect we'll find out why he thinks Mos Eisley Space Port is the MOST wretched hive of Scum and Villainy. I'd like to see him getting betrayed by Vizago in Mos Eisley, that might explain the warning to Luke in ANH. If he does go off world he'll most likely go there to catch a ride.
I suspect we'll see him struggle to not use the force to help people being victimized and that will take a toll on him.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Siamese Sith wrote: September 9th, 2019, 11:47 pm I saw solo but for them to run into each other it would have to be off world. At this point Maul doesn’t even know about Tatooine.he discovers Tatooine through the vision he receives by combining the Sith and Jedi holocrons in SWR.
Maul was sent to Tatooine by Palpatine in Ep 1. Kenobi is set after Ep 3.
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

I know when Kenobi takes place chronologically, I just think it would detract from the final show down between Maul and Kenobi in Rebels if they run into each other in this series much like how bringing back Palpatine in TRoS will detract from Anakin’s redemption in RotJ.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Disney don't care what the fans think. Most casual fans don't watch the animated shows so have no idea about the Rebels showdown. If done correctly it could feed the showdown by explaining why Maul hates Kenobi even more.
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

thepepgal wrote: September 14th, 2019, 7:52 pm Disney don't care what the fans think. Most casual fans don't watch the animated shows so have no idea about the Rebels showdown. If done correctly it could feed the showdown by explaining why Maul hates Kenobi even more.
This is true, I’m glad Ewan is back and I hope this series is good!
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Deborah Chow is to direct the Obi-Wan series: StarWars.com
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

There is now a delay in this series as they search for a new writer / new scripts (a familar problem with SW now). Also the series appears to have been shorten from 6 to 4 episodes. Shooting is reportedly now January 2021.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ts-1272499

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-d ... 0-6473031/
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

thepepgal wrote: January 24th, 2020, 7:45 pm There is now a delay in this series as they search for a new writer / new scripts (a familar problem with SW now). Also the series appears to have been shorten from 6 to 4 episodes. Shooting is reportedly now January 2021.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ts-1272499

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-d ... 0-6473031/
Kennedy's management of the franchise...
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Yes Mags it is. They want it fast and then the quality suffers.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

Kenobi is currently shooting and Disney announced that Hayden will reprise Darth in the series.

I presume that this means that Obi wan will travel away from Tatooine so Luke isn't discover. I wonder if he helps Ashoka as there appears to be a lot of crossovers now.
Master Magnus

Re: Live-action: "Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi"

Post by Master Magnus »

StarWars.com wrote:Obi-Wan Kenobi, the new Disney+ special event series starring Ewan McGregor as the iconic Jedi Master, will begin shooting in April.

The story begins 10 years after the dramatic events of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith where Kenobi faced his greatest defeat, the downfall and corruption of his best friend and Jedi apprentice, Anakin Skywalker turned evil Sith Lord Darth Vader.

Obi-Wan Kenobi is directed by Deborah Chow, director of two critically acclaimed episodes of The Mandalorian Season 1.

The series also marks the return of Hayden Christensen in the role of Darth Vader.

Joining the cast are Moses Ingram, Joel Edgerton, Bonnie Piesse, Kumail Nanjiani, Indira Varma, Rupert Friend, O’Shea Jackson Jr., Sung Kang, Simone Kessell, and Benny Safdie.

Obi-Wan Kenobi is executive produced by Kathleen Kennedy, Michelle Rejwan, Deborah Chow, Ewan McGregor, and writer Joby Harold. Casting director is Carmen Cuba.

Obi-Wan Kenobi will be available exclusively on Disney+.
Source: StarWars.com
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

So it will feature Tatooine a bit more but I don't expect Darth to visit, as he would have felt Obi-Wan's presence and he doesn't like sand. :laugh:
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

thepepgal wrote: March 29th, 2021, 5:52 pm So it will feature Tatooine a bit more but I don't expect Darth to visit, as he would have felt Obi-Wan's presence and he doesn't like sand. :laugh:
:laugh:

I sure hope James Earl Jones is up for making the voice of Vader.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

While not announced I'm sure he will. Darth is one of the few recurring characters that he does keep doing. It is voice work so he can take his time and also read his lines. He just finished "Coming 2 America". He turned 90 in January.

I presume we will see Hayden in the chamber with his helmet off. If not Disney could have put anyone in the suit.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

The OS has announced the release date for this series. 25/05/22 which is exactly 45 years after release of the Ep4.

There is a teaser poster also released.

https://www.starwars.com/news/obi-wan-k ... miere-date
Lord Tesla

Post by Lord Tesla »

"executive produced by Kathleen Kennedy"?

I'll pass.
Lord Tesla
Witty remark, snappy saying or catch phrase forthcoming
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

The OS has released a teaser trailer for the series. It introduces the villains and glimpses of a new world of Daiyu as well as showing Tatooine.

It isn't very eventful but didn't expect it to show much.

https://www.starwars.com/news/obi-wan-k ... highlights
Siamese Sith

Post by Siamese Sith »

My only gripe is the Grand Inquisitor looks terrible and new female inquisitor seems too promenant in a show about Obi Wan Kenobi….
Master Shrive

Post by Master Shrive »

Who got to watching it over the weekend? Initial impressions?
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

Master Shrive wrote: May 29th, 2022, 2:24 am Who got to watching it over the weekend? Initial impressions?
I thought the first episode was okay, not great. I much preferred the second episode and especially loved the ending. Over both episodes, they don't seem to have a clear sense of what tone they're going for. But, enjoying it so far and after where the second episode ended, I'm definitely very intrigued with how they build on this.
thepepgal

Post by thepepgal »

I enjoyed the first two eps. While most people were surprise on what got Obi-Wan to leave Tatooine, I wasn't as there wouldn't have been many reasons that he would leave himself with a chance of being captured. I liked the actress playing the young one captured the spirit well. Disliked Third Sister as the character needs further fleshing as the grudge seemed forced and not natural.

Looking forward to see where this limited series goes in the next 4 eps.
Master Shrive

Post by Master Shrive »

Third episode has dropped.

Do we still have spoiler tags on the forums? As I see this thread isn't spoiler listed, but there's definitely spoilers below:

I'm definitely enjoying it so far. However, I have concerns about how the meaning behind OT dialogue may be changed. Leia's "only hope" lines make it interesting - does she know/recognise him in the OT? Not a deal breaker, but possibly more to it.

The one I'm really not sure sure about is Vader: "I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner. Now, I am the master." I suppose he is right about "when I left you" could still refer to them parting ways at the end of Ep III. But it would appear Vader has already had one victory over Kenobi based on yesterday's episode. I'm sure we'll see them dual again, so it's not final yet - I'm just not sure where it will end up.

I did enjoy the dual though. I suspect we'll Obi-Wan reconnect with the force, and maybe end up with some training from Qui-Gon. This might get him back on the same level for one more dual.

Perhaps his injuries will see him change lightsaber style as well to one with less movement - ie, how he fights Maul and Vader in the future.
Master Magnus

Post by Master Magnus »

Master Shrive wrote: June 1st, 2022, 7:56 pm Third episode has dropped.

Do we still have spoiler tags on the forums? As I see this thread isn't spoiler listed, but there's definitely spoilers below:
Just tried, but they don't work. I edited the thread title so that spoilers are allowed.
Master Shrive wrote:I'm definitely enjoying it so far. However, I have concerns about how the meaning behind OT dialogue may be changed. Leia's "only hope" lines make it interesting - does she know/recognise him in the OT? Not a deal breaker, but possibly more to it.
Leia's message in Star Wars is a plea on behalf of Bail and one that, to me, makes it perfectly clear that she has no personal knowledge of him. That she jumped at the name "Ben Kenobi" could be that Bail had simply told her that it's his alias.
Master Shrive wrote:The one I'm really not sure sure about is Vader: "I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner. Now, I am the master." I suppose he is right about "when I left you" could still refer to them parting ways at the end of Ep III. But it would appear Vader has already had one victory over Kenobi based on yesterday's episode. I'm sure we'll see them dual again, so it's not final yet - I'm just not sure where it will end up.
This is yet another instance where I don't think that their meeting each other in this way works. I've seen it being rationalized that Vader was referring to the Jedi Order as such and not Obi-Wan, but that's a stretch.
Master Shrive wrote:I suspect we'll Obi-Wan reconnect with the force, and maybe end up with some training from Qui-Gon. This might get him back on the same level for one more dual.
I certainly hope so. That aspect hasn't worked for me.

A few things that stood out for me in this episode was why did Obi-Wan bother to destroy the laser gate when they could simply have walked around it as it was plenty of space on both sides? Why did Obi-Wan run behind the mound when he confronted Vader only to run around? (I think that betrayed the small scale of the set.)

All in all, we're half-way in and while I don't think the series is bad, I do find it flat. The cinematography is pretty stale and pedestrian, the use of music is abysmal and... there's just something missing.
Master Shrive

Re: Live-action: "Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi" *Spoilers allowed*

Post by Master Shrive »

Master Magnus wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 2:59 pm A few things that stood out for me in this episode was why did Obi-Wan bother to destroy the laser gate when they could simply have walked around it as it was plenty of space on both sides?
Haha I did chuckle at that and thought the exact same thing!
toVor

Post by toVor »

I've watched each one and enjoyed them, but I feel that watching each episode is like watching a movie of which you've already seen the end of. As you watch the beginning and middle of the film you're feeling anxiety, hesitation, or trouble accepting it, because you don't see how what you're watching can actually result in the ending you already know.

I was excited when Darth Vader appeared in the 3rd episode, and I both liked and disliked their duel together. On the one hand I wanted it to be more energetic and powerful like their ROTS duel was, but on the other hand how could it be when their slow, snail-like duel of ANH is only ten years away. Kenobi's abilities being slowed by time made sense for the story's sake, and we simply cannot be given the same energy level as the prequel duels gave us, since we are unfortunately "limited" by continuity and the established duel of ANH.

Little Leia is adorable and what a talented actress she is played by. Surely I am not the only one who's heart was melted by the look she gave him at the end of ep4, and the holding of his hand. She trusts him now, and deeply cares about him. I am not as bothered as others that her message stored inside R2 in ANH wasn't more personal, relating her father's relationship to Obi-Wan and not her own. That was a rushed message and it got the point accross--Obi-Wan would of course remember her.

Regarding the Third Sister and the actress playing her, and the critics as well as racists who are cyber attacking her: I don't have a problem with the actress or her skin color. My problem with her is that she is too human, too "regular looking". I'm not saying she should have been Maul's sister or even of Maul's race, but if she had had a tattooed face or otherwise alien appearance, fans would have gone crazy over her. Remember how excited we all became in 1998 when were given the first glimpses of Darth Maul's appearance? I know without a doubt that if the show had had a black character with her face painted white, critics would have had a field day lambasting the show for "insulting" black people. But aside from that, I wish she was more like the Grand Inquisitor or the other guy with the big wide hat on, different and not so bland.
"Your focus determines your reality." --Qui-Gon Jinn
"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." --John Lennon
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan
borgmatrix

Post by borgmatrix »

toVor wrote: June 8th, 2022, 3:25 pm I've watched each one and enjoyed them, but I feel that watching each episode is like watching a movie of which you've already seen the end of. As you watch the beginning and middle of the film you're feeling anxiety, hesitation, or trouble accepting it, because you don't see how what you're watching can actually result in the ending you already know.
I'm sort of with you. It's not that I'm worried that what they're doing won't connect with what we know happens in the future, but more than so much of what they're doing episode to episode is tension around Leia being in trouble, or Obi-wan, etc... yet we know they survive. In a series set before ANH, why are they so focused on "tense" sequences involving characters we know will survive, when they should be focused on the psychological that revolves around what happened on Mustafar in ROTS and where Obi-wan and Vader are now as they re-encounter each other? That's the new part that hasn't been explored.
I was excited when Darth Vader appeared in the 3rd episode, and I both liked and disliked their duel together. On the one hand I wanted it to be more energetic and powerful like their ROTS duel was, but on the other hand how could it be when their slow, snail-like duel of ANH is only ten years away. Kenobi's abilities being slowed by time made sense for the story's sake, and we simply cannot be given the same energy level as the prequel duels gave us, since we are unfortunately "limited" by continuity and the established duel of ANH.
I loved the raw anger/rage from Vader over what Obi-wan had done to him, the state he had left him in 10 years prior; and the horror/shock from Kenobi at discovering Anakin was alive and what he existed as now. So that powered the duel, and I generally liked it though it fizzled out in strange fashion with Vader going from wanting the troopers to bring Kenobi back for another round of torture, to suddenly not doing anything with the fire blazing before him.

I expect we'll see a second fight with Obi-wan owning Vader to set up for the ANH line "when last we met, I was but the learner. Now I am the master."
Little Leia is adorable and what a talented actress she is played by. Surely I am not the only one who's heart was melted by the look she gave him at the end of ep4, and the holding of his hand. She trusts him now, and deeply cares about him. I am not as bothered as others that her message stored inside R2 in ANH wasn't more personal, relating her father's relationship to Obi-Wan and not her own. That was a rushed message and it got the point accross--Obi-Wan would of course remember her.
Yeah, I'm okay with it too. Plus, makes sense for a more formal message as she is a senator, and also what if the message finds its way to someone else who can get it to Kenobi (kind of like how it did play out in ANH). The personal stuff not needed for her message.

Overall, I'm finding the show to be a "page turner" in that it keeps me watching to see what happens next, but I'm finding it to be better in concept than in execution. And, like I saw above, they're really wasting the opportunity with plot-based stories every episode with the tension revolving around putting characters in danger who WE KNOW MAKE IT OUT ALIVE, when the meet of this series should be about getting into the minds of Kenobi and Skywalker/Vader and how the past informs their interactions and relationship now.
Master Shrive

Post by Master Shrive »

Finished the final episode last night. I really, really enjoyed it. Thought it tied everything together nicely, bridging into ANH quite well. I don't think I have too many lingering questions or concerns about plot holes; although Reva leaving with one of the galaxies closet held secrets is perhaps a bit of a gamble.

I really enjoyed that last duel. We all knew it was coming, but it was spectacular enough to justify the "I sense something; a presence I've not felt since..." line in ANH.

What do we think from here? Is that the end for Kenobi and Vader in live action series? Or will they find a way to continue?
Marbleman

Post by Marbleman »

Obiwan was the first live-action Disney show since Mandalorian Season 1 that I felt was - for the most part - well executed. The weakest episode was the Fortress Inquisitorius break in, which, while cool at some points, felt somewhat goofy and nonsensical at times. But the last episodes really brought it home. Ewan McGregor really shines and Moses Ingram grew on me. I like the idea of a redeemed Inquisitor.