Thread: Looks and Glances that Mean so Much -Episode VII Edition

Blog Entries

Default Looks and Glances that Mean so Much -Episode VII Edition

There was a fine thread of the same title in relation to The Phantom Menace, but found it I have not, nor who started it remember it I do not. But here are the things I took note of while watching The Force Awakens. Yes, 14 months late but still on my mind nevertheless as I've rewatched TFA a few more times recently.

-Poe Dameron as he was led out of the troop carrier in captivity aboard the Star Destroyer looked around him in wide-eyed wonder. He was aboard the enemy ship and was seeing it for the first time from the inside. No doubt he was getting a lay of the land in surprise, and/or wondering how his now inside witness could benefit him in escape and/or future battles.

-I love the scene where Kylo is talking with Snoke without his helmet on, and General Hux walks in unexpectedly. You can see how awkward Ren suddenly becomes, how regretful he is that Hux can now see him without his intimidating helmet covering his face. IMO Hux is both fearful of Ren and not fearful. He knows that Snoke needs him and will not allow Ren to kill him, but at the same time there is that out of control temper of Ren's that he is wary of, which could prove fatal before Snoke's intervention. And in that scene Hux saw him without his mask, saw him for the flesh and blood human that he really was, getting a glimpse of the man behinmd the curtain, so to speak. And indeed, Ren was quite unhappy about that. However, Hux barely gave him a nod of consideration, and if so only for a split second. It was as if Hux already knew who he was under the helmet, as if he wasn't surprised at all, and was humoring Ren all along for his attempts to appear the mysterious and terrifying bigshot that Ren portrayed himself as. Hux knew the truth behind the persona, and to Ren's regrets, that gave him a leg up on the so called Master of the Knights of Ren.

-One of my very favorite but brief scenes of the movie was Rey's change of countenance in literally the blink of an eye. Surely I am not the only one who has noticed this. If not, then watch the scene at the end when she faces Luke for the apparent first time (I believe he had trained her as a child but that's for another discussion). She stretches her hand forward to hand him his own long lost lightsaber and on her face you can see worry and uncertainty in her expression. Then she blinks her eyes and her face changes, to confidence and determination. If you know what I'm talking about then you know...
    But if you didn't notice then watch that specific scene again. Doubt and hesitation, then in the blink of an eye, right when she blinks her eyes, she is now more determined than ever.
    I love that scene, and what it conveys.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Looks and Glances that Mean so Much -Episode VII Edition

I like the scene where Rey is meeting Finn for the first time and he is trying to impress her by making his resistance fighter claims. She can barely keep herself from laughing.
    There's no permanaence in the universe of change. ~Zedekk

Blog Entries

The scene where Finn and Poe see each other on D'Kar.

I will go to the animal shelter and get you a kitty cat. I will let you fall in love with that kitty cat; and then on some dark cold night, I will steal away into your home, and punch you in the face

Blog Entries

I think you've hit upon something with this thread, Tovor. As I am thinking about this movie there are so many looks and glances. I look forward to seeing the other films develop the characters in this way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tovor View Post
    There was a fine thread of the same title in relation to The Phantom Menace, but found it I have not, nor who started it remember it I do not. But here are the things I took note of while watching The Force Awakens. Yes, 14 months late but still on my mind nevertheless as I've rewatched TFA a few more times recently.

-I love the scene where Kylo is talking with Snoke without his helmet on, and General Hux walks in unexpectedly. You can see how awkward Ren suddenly becomes, how regretful he is that Hux can now see him without his intimidating helmet covering his face. IMO Hux is both fearful of Ren and not fearful. He knows that Snoke needs him and will not allow Ren to kill him, but at the same time there is that out of control temper of Ren's that he is wary of, which could prove fatal before Snoke's intervention. And in that scene Hux saw him without his mask, saw him for the flesh and blood human that he really was, getting a glimpse of the man behinmd the curtain, so to speak. And indeed, Ren was quite unhappy about that. However, Hux barely gave him a nod of consideration, and if so only for a split second. It was as if Hux already knew who he was under the helmet, as if he wasn't surprised at all, and was humoring Ren all along for his attempts to appear the mysterious and terrifying bigshot that Ren portrayed himself as. Hux knew the truth behind the persona, and to Ren's regrets, that gave him a leg up on the so called Master of the Knights of Ren.
    That scene is good compared to when Kylo confronts Hux outside in the corridor earlier. You can see that Hux is fearful of Kylo, but when Hux is with Snoke he has that smirky grin on his face.

I think one of my favorite scenes is when we first meet Rey.

Then later when they're at Maz's castle and Finn decides to leave and how Rey seems to feel like she is being abandoned wanting Finn to stay and it was at that moment, suddenly the lightsaber/force calls to her.

I like the scene where Rey is meeting Finn for the first time and he is trying to impress her by making his resistance fighter claims. She can barely keep herself from laughing.
    I read that a completely different way. I see it as Rey can barely contain her excitement that she met someone. She's trying to play it cool, just Finn is trying to do, and both are failing spectacularly.
    "Oh, what the :censored: happened to this world? There's only one trilogy, you :censored: morons."

My Running Diaries of Star Wars: OT ; TPM ; AOTC ; ROTS

PSN ID: RollaFett

Blog Entries

I hadn't thought of it in that way. Interesting way of looking at it. I'll have to watch it again keeping that in mind, see how the scene changes for me then.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tovor View Post
    -One of my very favorite but brief scenes of the movie was Rey's change of countenance in literally the blink of an eye. Surely I am not the only one who has noticed this. If not, then watch the scene at the end when she faces Luke for the apparent first time (I believe he had trained her as a child but that's for another discussion). She stretches her hand forward to hand him his own long lost lightsaber and on her face you can see worry and uncertainty in her expression. Then she blinks her eyes and her face changes, to confidence and determination. If you know what I'm talking about then you know...
    But if you didn't notice then watch that specific scene again. Doubt and hesitation, then in the blink of an eye, right when she blinks her eyes, she is now more determined than ever.
    I love that scene, and what it conveys.

It's odd: I have never noticed that shift in expression before: that's the one part of the movie I've watched repeatedly, the brief journey to to the Skellig system and the even briefer appearance of Old, really old, ancient, antediluvian Luke. But I just looked again and there it is. I take her initial expression to be one of desperation, almost pleading, not just for the galaxy Luke's abandoned to its own devices, but for herself, not just for aid for the "resistance"--there's a word that's been soiled since the film opened--but for deliverance from the personal mystery she has found herself in, and, so it seems, has always been in, however unwittingly. The Lightsaber itself, extended to Luke, seems at first a demand, the token of his obligation, to right the situation; then, with that inflection of the expression--challenge? rebuke? A lot hinges on Luke's expression, and what we make of it, and what Rey makes of it--it's all highly speculative, that is to say.
    Lord Tesla has a blog: Eš! The Blog That Is.
    It has a new entry: The Force Sorta Wakes Up

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RollaFett View Post

I read that a completely different way. I see it as Rey can barely contain her excitement that she met someone. She's trying to play it cool, just Finn is trying to do, and both are failing spectacularly.
    Now I can't stop thinking of Princess Anna in Frozen when she's meeting prince Hans.

I always thought Poe's reaction when first entering the star destroyer was wonderment/awe. He had probably always imagined what the inside of one was like (as he imagined flying a Tie FIghter which he later mentioned). Maybe the actual was more impressive than the imagined. PRobably he was just taking it all in and noting things he expected and some things he hadn't. I don't think he was looking for info for an escape. I would expect that he assumed he wasn't getting out of there alive unless the First Order needed him to for some reason.