Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NOVEL: Crucible, by Troy Denning

Default Re: NOVEL: Crucible, by Troy Denning

Sorry LT, I worded poorly - I didn't think you were looking for lack of knowledge on my part.

As I'm still trying to get through most of the EU (I was a late bloomer and then I had a long period between reads due to difficulties accessing novels - which I'm hoping is now fixed due to digital avenues) I am really hoping they don't ruin it or just cast it aside. I certainly don't want them to become invalid before I have even finished reading them . But if they could somehow link them together, in a satisfying way, then I would be extremely excited. Could be the best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tesla View Post
    Hmmm. Know this, I did not. A long wait for the next series, in that case, we may have, I am thinking...

:yoda:
    Yes, you did know as I mentioned it on the previous page (in my very first post) in this thread. Del Rey's contract is up at the end of the year so until they sign a new contract and know which way Disney/LFL are developing the EU, don't expect an announcement.
    Remember, the Force is with you always.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thepepgal View Post
    Yes, you did know as I mentioned it on the previous page (in my very first post) in this thread.
    With all due respect, no, I didn't know. In your original post you described it as " [T]he lead-in book to the next series (not yet announced)." Not precisely the same thing. It is sufficiently ambiguous, in combination with the acreage of allergy-fuzz currently under cultivation in my noggin, to have kept me from knowing more than that it was a series lead-in.

Del Rey's contract is up at the end of the year so until they sign a new contract and know which way Disney/LFL are developing the EU, don't expect an announcement.
    Which makes me all the more certain that the book will work as a massive retcon engine, paving the way for that new, future, as-yet-unannounced series, which I have no doubt will be synced to the extended canon to come from the New Trilogy.
    Read Lord Tesla's blog: Eš! The Blog That Is...
    It has a new story:"Coordinates 23-17-46-11"

With all due respect, no, I didn't know. In your original post you described it as " [T]he lead-in book to the next series (not yet announced)." Not precisely the same thing. It is sufficiently ambiguous, in combination with the acreage of allergy-fuzz currently under cultivation in my noggin, to have kept me from knowing more than that it was a series lead-in.
    A lead-in book isn't never counted as part of a series, so is always a stand alone. They tie up loose ends from the last series, that writers don't want to discuss in the next series. They can also give a back story to a new character or be a tangent which explains why a character acts a certain way in the next series.

Which makes me all the more certain that the book will work as a massive retcon engine, paving the way for that new, future, as-yet-unannounced series, which I have no doubt will be synced to the extended canon to come from the New Trilogy.
    I hope it's not like "Crystal Star" which tried dismally to correct continuity issues.

Announced on Del Rey's facebook page: There will be a short story printed in Star Wars Insider #142 which will cover events between Apocalypse and this novel. It will feature 3 of the galaxy's most intrepid ladies (Del Rey's words). It will be written by Christine Golden and she will also be writing a Jaina Solo trilogy call "Sword of the Jedi".

Blog Entries

I hope it's not like "Crystal Star" which tried dismally to correct continuity issues.
    I have only the dimmest recollections of The Crystal Star, and of it being very, very bad. That is the one with the interdimensional coffee-table-like villain "Waru," isn't it?

Recall...Leia getting angry and following red lines in space, Luke flicking his lightsaber off and on in annoyance, and a few other little things like that...

Yes, let's hope it's not like that, at all.

Blog Entries

Okay, my copy landed in the postbox today. Haven't done more reading than of the jacket copy yet, but something struck me about the cover. It's not as obvious on the front cover. There, you can see that the Big Three, and you can see that they look considerably older than they usually do on book covers. But the thing that struck me was the full illustration on the back cover, from which the three heads on the front are taken. Here's the thing: Luke's out of uniform. If anyone can correct me, please do. But, to the best of my recollection, in almost every novel or story set after Return of the Jedi, Luke, any time he's been in Jedi attire, is described as wearing black. Yet, here, he's wearing--well, it looks like he's raided Obi-Wan's closet. Brown outer robe, light beige vestments under that (their texture is even the same as that of Obi-Wan's, as seen in the prequels), and a black or dark brown garment visible on the chest and neck under that. Adding to the impression that he's raided someone else's closet: the sleeve of the robe on his right arm is turned back, as if it were made for someone of a larger stature.

Why is that?

Blog Entries

I noticed the aged pictures as well right away. I like it. Nice touch.

I'm about five chapters in. Not terrible so far, but as a few of the reviews on Amazon suggest, the characterization is a bit flat. I'm okay with that for now; it's early and we already know everyone. Couple of potentially intriguing plot threads. We'll see.

Also...see if you can spot the person who's not all he/she appears to be within the first few chapters. It's pretty obvious...
    Honor and Armor (Now Complete!)

Blog Entries

Welp, finished it. I'm underwhelmed. The one thing I enjoyed was there was that a lot of was written from Han's perspective. Lately it seems the SW writers have been very hit or miss in writing Han, and I didn't think it was too bad this time around.

As for the rest, I can't do it without spoilers so...

Spoilers! Press to reveal

Really seems like this was the last hoorah for the Big Three book-wise, and I really would've preferred someone like Zahn done it. Oh well.

I finished this one a couple of weeks ago. Nothing too memorable, except a line from Luke to Leia saying "Did you forget who I am" or something like that. The book was ok. I really wish that Sith chick would have been killed off.

Hajimete no KOI...

"Nice rear lieutenant"- Shalla from Solo Command

Blog Entries

Enjoyed the novel. Probably my third favorite Denning novel after Invincible and The Joiner King. Given this novel is a three hundred page epilogue to Dark Nest, Legacy of the Force, and Fate of the Jedi, if you are not a fan of those previous novels then you should not waste your time reading Crucible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedMirax View Post
    I really wish that Sith chick would have been killed off.
    I felt that way, but after letting a little time go by, I kind of like that there's a rogue Sith/Dark Sider roaming around selling her talents to the highest bidder. Could make for some interesting story lines that go against the typical JEDI VS SITH stuff.

Blog Entries

All of us want our ex to die.

Finished this one today, in time to pick up Kenobi tomorrow. I'm not sure what to think. The novel was enjoyable, to be sure. And I know I've enjoyed the more mystical side of the Force in some of these novels lately, but I don't know if that's the direction I would want them to go. Or put another way, should the "mysticalness" be more commonplace or occasional. That being said, I don't think Abeloth was finished at the end of the last series. Whether we see her again or not is the question. I'm completely fine with leaving her out there for some time to come back some years down the road, but with the Disney acquisition, I don't actually see that happening.

I hate to sound so . . . dreary, but I think the Sword series will get cancelled. Nothing about it was mentioned at Comic-Con or Celebration Europe. I think this might be a sort of ending for the EU as we know it. Realistically, I don't see new films doing much to incorporate any of the book or comic universe into the films. At that point, if it's too hard to fit into the existing timeline, this one will just be abandoned altogether. They won't continue with any stories set in this universe if they have a separate one going on. Some people may want that, a fresh start, but I would prefer new movies . . . if they won't include this EU (they won't), at least not blatantly contradict what's in place (also doubtful).

I don't think there are many (if any) books in New Republic through Legacy eras that are planned for release anytime soon.
    Two drums and a cymbal fall off a cliff . . .

badumchi

Blog Entries

Still don't know why they never let Zahn go wild with staff set in the Unknown Regions. Maybe he didn't want to. I suppose that's a real possibility. But there is so much to play with in that area, regardless of the time period.