Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NOVEL: Crucible, by Troy Denning

Blog Entries

Default NOVEL: Crucible, by Troy Denning

Crucible, by Troy Denning. Anyone hear of this before, a 256-page hardcover scheduled for release 9 July this year? It's Star Wars, obviously, or I'd post about it elsewhere. But, other than that, and the Amazon cover image (old looking Han, Luke and Leia arranged above the title), I have no information. I looked for a thread here, and didn't see one, so...

I started one.
    Read Lord Tesla's blog: Eš! The Blog That Is...
    It has a new story:"Coordinates 23-17-46-11"

Blog Entries

Default Re: NOVEL: Crucible, by Troy Denning

^Not much. It's set in the Legacy-era (45 years after the Battle of Yavin IIRC) and it features the Big Three.

Blog Entries

At least Christie Golden isn't writing it.
    Honor and Armor (Now Complete!)

Magnus is correct, it's set a year after Apocalypse ends. It's a lead-in book to the next series (not yet announced).

This is the blurb from Del Rey that they announced July last year:

Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, and Princess Leia have spent a lifetime fighting wars, bringing the Jedi back from extinction, raising families, and saving the galaxy more times than they can count. They've earned the right to rest on their laurels and let the younger generation shoulder the burden--but fate has another adventure in store for our heroes, a quest only they can tackle and hope to survive...
    Remember, the Force is with you always.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thepepgal View Post
    Magnus is correct, it's set a year after Apocalypse ends. It's a lead-in book to the next series (not yet announced).

This is the blurb from Del Rey that they announced July last year:

Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, and Princess Leia have spent a lifetime fighting wars, bringing the Jedi back from extinction, raising families, and saving the galaxy more times than they can count. They've earned the right to rest on their laurels and let the younger generation shoulder the burden--but fate has another adventure in store for our heroes, a quest only they can tackle and hope to survive...
    Now...that's interesting. Anyone else wonder what, if any, influence plans for Episode VII have had on this novel?

I should also note a little detail I remembered: There's an excerpt from the book in the back of Timothy Zahn's Scoundrels, which I hope to investigate shortly.

There's also some other interesting stuff, which I may be the last to have learned of, in the way of upcoming books. Amazon has preorders now for The Making of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi by J. W. Rinzler, and something called Star Wars: Kenobi by John Jackson Miller, as well as Star Wars Art: Concept. All due round about the third-fourth quarter this year, if memory serves. (Yes, September and October dates of availability.)

Is there a thread for general things of that sort?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tesla
    Now...that's interesting. Anyone else wonder what, if any, influence plans for Episode VII have had on this novel?
    Absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tesla
    There's also some other interesting stuff, which I may be the last to have learned of, in the way of upcoming books. Amazon has preorders now for The Making of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi by J. W. Rinzler, and something called Star Wars: Kenobi by John Jackson Miller, as well as Star Wars Art: Concept. All due round about the third-fourth quarter this year, if memory serves. (Yes, September and October dates of availability.)

Is there a thread for general things of that sort?
    Try the search function. Seriously, I just opened a thread for Rinzler's upcoming book, but I can't remember seeing threads for the other books you mentioned.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Master Magnus View Post
    Try the search function.
    Every time I try that, I get a message to the effect, "No matches found." Seriously.

Here is the blurb for the book from Random House's product page:

Han Solo, Leia Organa Solo, and Luke Skywalkerreturn in an all-new Star Wars adventure, which will challenge them in ways they never expected—and forever alter their understanding of life and the Force.

When Han and Leia Solo arrive at Lando Calrissian’s Outer Rim mining operation to help him thwart a hostile takeover, their aim is just to even up the odds and lay down the law. Then monstrous aliens arrive with a message, and mere threats escalate into violent sabotage with mass fatalities. When the dust settles, what began as corporate warfare becomes a battle with much higher stakes—and far deadlier consequences.

Now Han, Leia, and Luke team up once again in a quest to defeat a dangerous adversary bent on galaxy-wide domination. Only this time, the Empire is not the enemy. It is a pair of ruthless geniuses with a lethal ally and a lifelong vendetta against Han Solo. They will stop at nothing to control the lucrative Outer Rim mining trade—and ultimately the entire galactic economy. And when the murderous duo gets the drop on Han, he finds himself outgunned in the fight of his life. To save him, and the galaxy, Luke and Leia must brave a gauntlet of treachery, terrorism, and the untold power of an enigmatic artifact capable of bending space, time, and even the Force itself into an apocalyptic nightmare.

Blog Entries

Here is the blurb for the book from Random House's product page:

Han Solo, Leia Organa Solo, and Luke Skywalkerreturn in an all-new Star Wars adventure, which will challenge them in ways they never expected—and forever alter their understanding of life and the Force.

When Han and Leia Solo arrive at Lando Calrissian’s Outer Rim mining operation to help him thwart a hostile takeover, their aim is just to even up the odds and lay down the law. Then monstrous aliens arrive with a message, and mere threats escalate into violent sabotage with mass fatalities. When the dust settles, what began as corporate warfare becomes a battle with much higher stakes—and far deadlier consequences.

Now Han, Leia, and Luke team up once again in a quest to defeat a dangerous adversary bent on galaxy-wide domination. Only this time, the Empire is not the enemy. It is a pair of ruthless geniuses with a lethal ally and a lifelong vendetta against Han Solo. They will stop at nothing to control the lucrative Outer Rim mining trade—and ultimately the entire galactic economy. And when the murderous duo gets the drop on Han, he finds himself outgunned in the fight of his life. To save him, and the galaxy, Luke and Leia must brave a gauntlet of treachery, terrorism, and the untold power of an enigmatic artifact capable of bending space, time, and even the Force itself into an apocalyptic nightmare.
    Interesting...

But...

Does Anyone know how long this series is supposed to run? Wrapping up just in time for the release of Episode VII, perhaps?

"[T]he untold power of an enigmatic artifact capable of bendings space, time, and even the Force itself into an apocalyptic nightmare"?

If you can bend space, and you can bend time, and you can bend the Force itself, well, that to me sounds like the setup to retconning the EU to match the New Trilogy.

I hereby dub this artifact "The D.E.M. of Doom."

Interesting theory. I'll be surprised if something like that can work though .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Master Shrive View Post
    Interesting theory. I'll be surprised if something like that can work though .
    There are precedents. "Red Matter" and black hole transits in Star Trek. The infamous shower scene from Dallas. There are others too numerous to recount: the technique has been around long enough to have been given a Latin name by the Romans, after all.

The question is, can it work well. That remains to be proven, in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tesla View Post
    Does Anyone know how long this series is supposed to run? Wrapping up just in time for the release of Episode VII, perhaps?
    This is a stand alone book leading into the next series which hasn't been announced yet.

Oh yes, I know there are numerous methods fiction writers can use. Trek has more timelines than you can poke a stick at. But it is doing it well which would be the key and for it to seem like Star Wars to me and not just some cop out it will need to be done very well. It could very well save the current EU though if done correctly.

Blog Entries

This is a stand alone book leading into the next series which hasn't been announced yet.
    Hmmm. Know this, I did not. A long wait for the next series, in that case, we may have, I am thinking...

:yoda:

Blog Entries

Oh yes, I know there are numerous methods fiction writers can use. Trek has more timelines than you can poke a stick at.
    The intent was not to imply any lack of knowledge on anyone's part. But I like to lay out some evidence or a rationale when I make a statement or float a theory.

But it is doing it well which would be the key and for it to seem like Star Wars to me and not just some cop out it will need to be done very well. It could very well save the current EU though if done correctly.
    I agree. It would be difficult to do, but the rewards would be considerable, especially for those heavily invested in the EU. (Not least those dedicated to continued sales of all the novels and other materials sure to be invalidated by the New Trilogy otherwise.)