Thread: TV: Space: 2099

Blog Entries

Default TV: Space: 2099

As I've mentioned, I'm a huge fan (of the first series/season at least) of the British science-fiction series Space: 1999 starring Martin Landau. Last week it was announced by ITV Studios America and HDFilms that a re-imagining of the series is in the works (it has no connection to the unofficial Space: 2099 series). Jace Hall, who was the executive producer of the re-imagined V-series, is set to produce. The announcement can be read on the official website:

Space 2099: The Series: ITV Studios America and HDFILMS to re-imagine and develop new sci-fi series "SPACE: 2099"

There's also an interview with Jace Hall over at IGN:

IGN: Jace Hall Talks Space: 2099

I'm a bit worried, but at least there are Eagles... And if the official logo is something to go by, then the exterior design of Moonbase Alpha doesn't seem that different from the original series.

Blog Entries

Default Re: TV: Space: 2099

If they do make it (things like that have a history of going tits up in the UK in the past, like Blake's 7) then I hope they do it justice, regardless of how preposterous some of the original show was.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Talcy View Post
    If they do make it (things like that have a history of going tits up in the UK in the past, like Blake's 7) then I hope they do it justice, regardless of how preposterous some of the original show was.
    Yes, while the premise of the show and some of the episodes (such as The Full Circle) are silly, the first series had a heart. Not to offend our American friends, but I think the British, to a large extent, makes better television. Without knowing who will be involved in the writing etc., I'm worried that the show is going to be produced by the same person who was involved in the production of the extremely dull remake of V. I guess time will tell.

Blog Entries

Yeah, the first series was far better (I think some of my first TV memories come from it) and the second was pretty poor and an attempt to go for more action, thinking it would appeal to the US market, ironically. I think Sylvia Anderson left the show because of that decision (not sure when they got divorced).

Gerry Anderson does not get his due, especially in the UK. Some of the shows he made later weren't so hot (I found Space Precinct laughable) and even as a 10 year old was a bit hot and cold on Terrahawks. And he did not deserve to have Thunderbirds treated the way it was by Hollywood.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Master Magnus View Post
    Not to offend our American friends, but I think the British, to a large extent, makes better television.
    Hmmm. I wonder...where in British television was there anything like I Love Lucy, Star Trek, Kolchak: The Nightstalker, or The X-Files, especially preceding the appearance of these programs on U.S. airwaves? We won't even think (too much) about Westerns, a genre into which I don't think U.K. television has strayed often or far.

Which is not deny U.K. television its due, by any means.

And, no, contrary to my rep, I am not offended.
    Read Lord Tesla's blog: Eš! The Blog That Is...
    It has a new story:"Coordinates 23-17-46-11"

Blog Entries

Well, without starting any kind of war here, how about Doctor Who, The Prisoner, The Avengers, The Quatermass Experiment (pre-dating Star Trek by over 10 years) & Quatermass & the Pit, Coronation Street (on the air for over 50 years), Sapphire & Steel, The Stone Tape, The Sweeney, Morecambe & Wise, Only Fools and Horses, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Fawlty Towers, Monty Python's Flying Circus, Brideshead Revisited, Wallace & Gromit, David Attenborough's career, Steptoe & Son (Sanford & Son), Til Death Do Us Part (All in the Family), Walking with Dinosaurs, Man About the House (Three's Company), George & Mildred (The Ropers) I Claudius, Blackadder, The Benny Hill Show, Hancock's Half Hour, Life on Mars and modern television satire in the form of The Frost Report and That Was The Week That Was?

I may have overdone it...

(all in jest)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tesla View Post
    Hmmm. I wonder...where in British television was there anything like I Love Lucy, Star Trek, Kolchak: The Nightstalker, or The X-Files, especially preceding the appearance of these programs on U.S. airwaves? We won't even think (too much) about Westerns, a genre into which I don't think U.K. television has strayed often or far.
    This is off-topic, but since news on this show is slow...

I didn't say that American television was a bunch of crap. However, the ratio between good and bad shows seems, to me at least, to be worse when comparing U.S. and British shows (I also don't think the American remakes of British TV shows have been very successful). I personally think this could stem from the fact that there are so many different networks and a vast number of production companies in the U.S. which occasionally produces gems (such as the shows produced by HBO which is an excellent network) but in many cases the shows tends to be formulaic and there's no sense of creativity or uniqueness which results in an endless number of sitcoms, poor remakes of good shows (such as the aforementioned V series) spin-offs etc. With British television shows, there's a general feeling of quality over quantity, excellent writing and top-notch acting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tesla
    We won't even think (too much) about Westerns, a genre into which I don't think U.K. television has strayed often or far.
    Westerns are, by their very nature, an American genre. But what about period dramas and detective dramas? No one beats the Brits in those genres

The Brits are also hard to beat when it comes to humor. TV shows like Fawlty Towers, Dad's Army, Benny Hill, The Vicar of Dibley, Mr. Bean and one of my all-time favorites, Keeping Up Appearances. Of course, it's known that the dry wit, sarcastic British sense of humor is very appealing to us rather reserved Swedes so I guess that could have something to do with it...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tesla
    And, no, contrary to my rep, I am not offended.
    A little bit perhaps?

Blog Entries

This is off-topic, but since news on this show is slow...
    Just between you, me and the internet, I've always thought the off-topic messages were usually among the best message in any thread, anywhere, any time.

I didn't say that American television was a bunch of crap.
    I didn't perceive that you had. Even if you had, you wouldn't have been far off. I have consumed a--well, I'm tempted to say shameful, and I think I shall say it--a shameful amount of television in my time, most of it U.S. television, and a lot of it was crap. Thinking of the hours used in watching that stuff almost makes me ill.

However, the ratio between good and bad shows seems, to me at least, to be worse when comparing U.S. and British shows (I also don't think the American remakes of British TV shows have been very successful).
    I haven't the familiarity with British television that I have with American, and less so now than formerly, when I was much more familiar with U.S. television than I am now, so it's hard for me to say. I used to watch the U.S. versions of a lot of sitcoms, all of the ones Talcy cited, if I recall correctly, but I never saw the U.K. originals, so I can't say how they stacked up, only that, in retrospect, they are programs I regret spending my time on. Except maybe Three's Company, in the first season or two when Joyce DeWitt was cute. Not that that had anything to do with the quality of the program.

I personally think this could stem from the fact that there are so many different networks and a vast number of production companies in the U.S. which occasionally produces gems (such as the shows produced by HBO which is an excellent network) but in many cases the shows tends to be formulaic and there's no sense of creativity or uniqueness which results in an endless number of sitcoms, poor remakes of good shows (such as the aforementioned V series) spin-offs etc. With British television shows, there's a general feeling of quality over quantity, excellent writing and top-notch acting.
    I don't think there'd be a drip of difference in the quality of American television if there were ten times fewer, or ten times more, companies producing it than there are now. Because it's not a problem of numbers--at least not those numbers. It's a problem with the mentality at networks and studios, etc. It's fear. There are too many liabilities, and too little imagination. Say the wrong word, express the wrong attitude, approach the wrong subjects, and you're pretty much guaranteed to be assaulted by the special interest groups, the professional victims, the competitively thin-skinned. All they have to do is show up, and the sponsors start to disappear; if you keep at it, the lawyers show up; and you could conceivably end up in court, before Congress, consigned to the Outer Dark. You can't make a buck that way, so they stick in the narrow zone where those things don't happen, and when anything comes along that attracts a positive, lucrative, crowd, everyone else in every other network, studio, etc., tends to follow the herd to churn out a copy of the first idea, looking for safe, easy money.

Westerns are, by their very nature, an American genre. But what about period dramas and detective dramas? No one beats the Brits in those genres
    Spaghetti Westerns. Made a major movie star out of Clint Eastwood.

Most of my British period drama experience is of the Granada Television Sherlock Holmes (excellent) and a few other mystery programs--first aired on PBS here, then on A&E which is where I saw most of them. No doubt they're generally well done.

The Brits are also hard to beat when it comes to humor. TV shows like Fawlty Towers, Dad's Army, Benny Hill, The Vicar of Dibley, Mr. Bean and one of my all-time favorites, Keeping Up Appearances. Of course, it's known that the dry wit, sarcastic British sense of humor is very appealing to us rather reserved Swedes so I guess that could have something to do with it...
    I've never been that fond of the British humor programs. Even though I've often been told I have a dry, British sense of humor. They just don't strike me. But the same goes for U.S. sitcoms these days.

A little bit perhaps?
    Nope, not even a little, strangely enough.
    Read Lord Tesla's blog: Eš! The Blog That Is...
    It has a new story:"Coordinates 23-17-46-11"