Thread: Flash Fiction Challenge: June

Lightbulb Flash Fiction Challenge: June

For those who haven't written for a while or have never attempted fan fiction, a whole story can seem daunting, so here we have the monthly flash fiction challenge to get those creative juices flowing.

*Remember that there is no deadline! Just because there is a new prompt for this month doesn't mean you can't still post in the old threads if you have more stories for those.

Here are the rules:

- Monthly Flash Fiction submissions must be no more than 300 words. They can be less than 300 but not a word more. I will cut off any extra words and then your story won't make sense so be warned.
    - Submissions should be posted in this thread.
    - This is not a contest, there is no prize; this is merely for fun, to help people get back the joy of writing, and to stay in practice.
    - The title does not count towards the word count.

And now on to the challenge! For May the prompt is:
    "As you wish, my master."

This month's prompt comes to us courtesy of ForceFlow.
    The first writer to submit her or his flash fiction will get to choose next month's prompt! (I have decided that the same person shall not choose the prompt 2 months in a row.)

Have fun, and may the Force be with you.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Flash Fiction Challenge: June

As the blackness of space surrounding the cabin of his master’s ship erupted with brilliant flashes of exploding concussion missiles and laser fire, Nartra’than’thas wondered if he would live to see his ninth birthday.

He felt the contents of his stomach shift uncomfortably as the pilot threw the ship through an intense series of maneuvers; a barrage of laser fire ripped through the spot the ship had occupied fractions of a second earlier. Nartra’than’thas’ red eyes were wide with fear and his blue hands were beginning to shake as his adrenal glands continued to surge.

As he began to call on the Force to stifle his fear, Nartra’than’thas felt resistance from the presence next to him.

“No, Rathan!” the pilot snapped. “You must control your fear—not the Force!”

Nartra’than’thas nodded, though the rebuke was hardly comforting or empowering given the situation. He slowed his breathing, focused his gaze, and felt the fear slowly dissipate. The pilot nodded approvingly

“Good, good.” The pilot flipped the control yoke to the right and the ship barrel-rolled several times, dodging another salvo of laser fire with each rotation. The pilot, a middle-age human with dark skin and short hair, flashed a grin as the attacking vessels continued to miss their mark. The grin disappeared when one of the shots slammed into the ship’s aft and a slew of warning systems sounded.

The pilot frantically checked the cockpit’s various monitors, trying to assess the damage. The look he gave Rathan revealed the ship’s fate.

“To the escape pod,” the pilot said sternly. When Rathan hesitated for the briefest of moments, the ordered was repeated far more ferociously. Still fighting fear and a growing sense of despair, Rathan stood and headed for the cockpit hatch.

“As you wish, Master. As you wish.”

Lots of exciting-ness crammed into 30 hundred words! I enjoyed.

Your timely post means you get to choose next month's prompt, Bango! PM me with your idea when you get a chance

Blog Entries

Glad you liked it! It was a challenge to keep it to 300 words.

As for the prompt...so much pressure! I guess I'll be watching the movies this week for ideas...

The prompt can be anything - a quote, a place, a character, something general (e.g. "cats")... whatever you like!

But any excuse for a Star Wars marathon, right?

Blog Entries

Ha, EXACTLY!

...though I'll probably skip Ep I & II

I love watching AOTC - as long as I skip the scenes where Anakin has dialog. Without that, it's all Clones, lightsaber fights, and Jango Fett. Oh, and Obi-Wan. :ohhlala:

(and did i mention the clones?)