Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fan Fiction Contest 2011: A Cantina in a galaxy far, far away!

Red face Fan Fiction Contest 2011: A Cantina in a galaxy far, far away!

Fan Fiction Competition:
    Somewhere, sometime in the Star Wars galaxy…
    A CANTINA.

That’s right, senators. It’s (high) time for a new fan fiction competition, and the theme for this one is:
    Cantina.

Not necessarily Chalmun’s Cantina in Mos Eisley. Not necessarily the Outlander Club on Coruscant. Any old cantina.

Stories can be about any characters, locations, time periods, or events - pre-made or original. The limit is your imagination only, as long as your story ties into a cantina. Your characters can pass through a cantina, be heading to / from a cantina, mention a cantina, work at a cantina, hate cantinas, or any number of other options involving one or more cantinas, but a cantina should affect your story in some way.

RULES:

-The winner will be decided by public poll. There will be prizes! (Watch this space to find out what they are….)

-The competition entries will be posted anonymously to ensure a fair competition.

-All entries should be submitted to me (DC) in word (.doc or .docx) or similar format via email: darillcylleym[at]yahoo.com
    Stories will then be posted without author name into a secure location (TBA) for fair viewing. Let me know if you’d like to submit in a file format other than word, and I’ll let you know if I’m smart enough to figure out how to use it….

-A discussion thread will be set up so people can leave comments if desired.

-No author is to reveal their story before the end of the contest. That spoils the fun! Revealing which story is yours will result in withdrawal.

-Please use spoiler tags as necessary so that others can comment as they read instead of only after reading all the stories.

-First and third person point of view stories are both welcome. Alternative Universe stories are also welcome.

-Very poor grammar and punctuation are not acceptable. A beta reader is a great idea to help you correct any glaring mistakes. You should consider a beta reader even if you’re confident in your writing skills - it’s often both helpful and fun to get some constructive feedback on your writing. If you are unsure about how to find a beta reader or are unsure what one is, please PM me. I’m very willing to beta read, but be aware I tend to make loads of suggestions.

-Stories must be longer than 1200 words, but must still qualify as short stories (i.e. they must be able to be read in their entirety in one sitting (under an hour-ish)).

-Collaborative stories are allowed but are restricted to only two authors working on the story.

-Plagiarism will result in disqualification (and stern reprimands from yours truly), so don't even consider it.

Submission Deadline is 15 December 2011.

I'll check for the last entries sometime 16 December, CST, so get them in on the 15th and you'll be safe!

Remember:
    -Have fun!
    -Your story only needs to be 3 pages long! I hope we get loads of entries.
    -The Force is with you!

Default Re: Fan Fiction Contest 2011: A Cantina in a galaxy far, far away!

Alrighty... I'll do my best to write something up for this. Definately have been slacking in the writing department lately.

It would be marvelous to see an entry from you, Slick! I hope we can get veteran fan fic contests writers like you as well as new participants

Blog Entries

You know I'm in, short of complete inability to write or something like being held hostage somewhere. (Contingent on the Qui-Gon Jinn Adventures not killing me first.) I have a couple of ideas. Rereading the second line in the contest title...not sure the one would fit. You might be getting a short PM from me in a minute or few. Qui-Gon can go stand in the weeds for a few minutes longer.
    Lord Tesla has a blog: Eä! The Blog That Is.
    It has a new entry: The Force Sorta Wakes Up

I should have said this from the get go, but Alternative Universe stories are most definitely allowed. I've changed the narrative to reflect this

Everyone feel free to ask for further clarification if it seems like it would be helpful

Blog Entries

I'll start working on some ideas. Maybe this will help me get the ball rolling a bit on my Chiss Jedi

Blog Entries

I have a few ideas floating around...

Quote Originally Posted by bango31 View Post
    I'll start working on some ideas. Maybe this will help me get the ball rolling a bit on my Chiss Jedi
    Oh, yes - that would be most enjoyable! I'd very much like to see you pursue that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Magnus View Post
    I have a few ideas floating around...
    Would love to see a story from you, Magnus! Really, really.

Blog Entries

^Be careful what you wish for, DC!

Quote Originally Posted by Master Magnus View Post
    ^Be careful what you wish for, DC!
    I'm confident this is worth wishing for: entries for the contest!

Count me in DC, i'll get thinking and writing
    Only The Dead See The End Of War - Plato

Your Hands Cant Hit What Your Eyes Cant See, Float Like A Butterfly Sting Like a Bee, Rumble Young Man Rumble - Mohammed Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Cassus Fett View Post
    Count me in DC, i'll get thinking and writing
    Excellent! :yeah:

To tide us over (or inspire you to write something far, far better), I present for your enjoyment / eye gouging a snippet of a rather long piece of drivel of my own creation. Flaws aside, it does involve a cantina - and it amuses me, so perhaps it will elicit a laugh or two. Or even an eye roll!

The setting is Coruscant, in the middle of the Clone Wars. An ARC trooper (in plain clothes for this escapade) and a GAR physician are meeting a friend of a friend in an attempt to secure some communications equipment. This scene takes place in the middle-ish of the overall tale, and they're meant to be keeping a low profile....

This was a very seedy little street indeed, though perhaps “street” was a generous term for the tumble-down alleyway they were traversing. He thought Dr. Kaur was handling it remarkably well, all things considered. And Maze knew he looked well muscled and well armed – both of which were true, of course – so he wasn’t expecting a lot of trouble. Still, it was best to be prepared, because you just never knew….

“Hey there, han’sum,” someone shouted on the periphery of his awareness. “Ditch the prude and I’ll show you how to really have fun….” This later statement was much closer at hand, and Maze didn’t so much register the words as the presence of another being inside the personal do-not-enter-at-risk-of-dismemberment perimeter that he’d currently set at high alert. Maze spun quickly when he felt the hand at his waist, and just barely managed to check himself and avoid clipping Dr. Kaur on the ear with his clenched elbow.

“Hands off, Millie,” Dr. Kaur stormed at the other woman, having already interposed herself between Maze and another humanoid female, who wasn’t wearing a blouse so much as a lot of jewelry. It didn’t seem like a very functional garment to Maze, but it did provide a moment’s distraction. Perhaps that was the point, he reflected, though he’d personally still rather have armor.

The other woman looked sour and started to slink away. “Hold it,” Dr Kaur said firmly, seizing her arm. “Check your pockets, Dear, make sure she hasn’t swiped anything.” It took Maze a moment to realize that Dr. Kaur had addressed this last comment to him, but she gave him a swift glance over her shoulder that confirmed it. He patted his pockets experimentally and reached around to check that the little hold-out blaster was still secure in his belt.

The woman smiled at him, revealing some truly mossy teeth. “If that’s what you’ve got down the back of your pants, Gorgeous, I’d love to see….”

“Keep dreaming, sister,” Dr. Kaur said, releasing the woman’s arm and allowing her to dart away.

For some reason, Dr. Kaur looked faintly amused as they continued their trek. “Yes, my Dear,” she said to him, “if a scantily clad female shouts ‘hey handsome’ in your vicinity, she is likely talking to you.”

Maze pondered that briefly. “Did you know her?”
    Dr. Kaur looked puzzled. “No… why?”
    “Well, you called her ‘Millie,’ and I thought it was her name….”
    Dr. Kaur snorted. “Don’t tell me you were hoping for an introduction….”
    “No,” he said quickly. “I didn’t mean… I just thought… it seemed unusual that… well, I mean….”
    She nudged him in the arm and he saw her grinning.
    “Ah,” Maze said. “I see. You’re giving me a hard time.”
    “Sorry.”
    “There’s no need to be… I’m not.”
    Dr. Kaur smiled again. “Is that the place?” She nodded to a grimy café.
    “It is.”

Only part of the old fashioned neon sign still contained noble gas. It was supposed to read “T’loburrough Pub,” but it just looked like “burP.” That seemed an adequate summary.

Maze was already plotting escape routes and possible places of cover as they passed the threshold. He knew the window in the toilet room could be easily kicked out, and there was a back door through the kitchen. He’d also seen a trap door behind the bar, but he wasn’t sure where that led, or what it contained.

“You must be Brador’eya’s friend,” a male Twi’lek called out easily, making his way toward them around the bar. Maze was glad their contact had announced himself early and was walking towards them sedately with his empty hands in plain sight. Maze could feel his reflexes wound to extra taut; that prostitute had already fired his hair trigger once.

“The military-type tag-along would have been enough of a tip off,” the Twi’lek continued, “but the red hair and swimmer’s build certainly help,” he smiled at Dr. Kaur and seemed to give her an approving once over. Maze felt himself bristle.

Dr. Kaur frowned at the Twi’lek and arched a brow. “I’m guessing you’re Micho.”

The Twi’lek nodded and gestured for her to join him at the bar. Maze saw Dr. Kaur keep a healthy number of careful inches between herself and Micho. “What are you having?” she asked Micho.

“A lovely lady buying me a drink? Maybe this won’t be a wasted evening after all,” Micho grinned at her, revealing his pointed teeth.

“Consider it a nice kick off to a promising business relationship,” she said smoothly, placing plenty of emphasis on the word business.

Micho seemed undeterred. “Business it is, then,” he said, using the same emphasis, though the wink he added twisted Dr. Kaur’s original meaning. “Make mine a smuggler’s glory.”

Dr. Kaur nodded at the bar tender droid, who began mixing the drink. “And a Chadian rum, straight,” she added. “For you, Dear?” She seemed to be intentionally drawing Micho’s attention back to Maze.

Maze locked eyes with the Twi’lek, giving off his best move and you’re dead stare. “The same,” he told Dr. Kaur, not removing his gaze from Micho.

“Two rums, then,” Dr. Kaur said pleasantly to the droid, who was now placing a brown drink with a pulsing red mass in its middle before Micho. Dr. Kaur collected the two little glasses of rum, which Maze decided was very smart of her, as this allowed Maze to keep both his hands free.

“Well, sweetheart,” Micho began once they’d slid into chairs at a table that was a bit too far in the corner for Maze’s preferences, “did you bring the money?”

“First of all,” Dr. Kaur informed him frostily, “it’s Doctor. Not sweetheart.” She paused for emphasis, as if waiting to see if a particularly dim-witted student had any questions. “Secondly, this is a negotiation, not a money drop.”

“That’s just the problem, then, ‘cos I don’t see what there is to negotiate. Brador’ already told you….”

“I thought you might take this line,” Dr. Kaur said. She leaned back in her chair and crossed her arms. “I realize you’re trying to turn a profit, and I get that. I do. But I’m not sure you have the whole picture. And that’s why I’m here, to give you a better explanation.”

Micho made a show of rolling his eyes, and took a big slurp of his drink. “You’ve got ‘til the booze runs out, sweetheart.”

Dr. Kaur scowled at Micho. Maze cleared his throat pointedly, and made a fist so that the knuckle of his middle finger cracked ominously.

“I’m… er… all ears, Doctor,” Micho amended.

“Wonderful,” Dr. Kaur commented mildly. “Now. I’d like you to think of someone – someone specific. This person should be really important to you – the most important person in the galaxy as far as you’re concerned. And I don’t mean your boss or… The Chancellor….”

“Not Old Smiley, there?” Micho quipped, jerking a thumb at Maze.

“Well, as a doctor, I’d have to advise you against forgetting our friend’s presence here during our little chat. It might be bad for your health. But I mean someone like… your mother. Or your spouse. A sibling, maybe. A lover.” She held up a hand. “You don’t have to tell me who it is. Just picture this person in your mind – as clearly as you can.”

Micho looked skeptical.

“Are you thinking of someone?” Dr. Kaur prompted.

Not sure if I'm going to be able to get an entry up for this one. Been trying to start something about every other day, but I just can't quite get the ball rolling. As of late I've been having a helluva time with Darth Real Life and I've been completely drained. But I guess I'll keep trying.

Would be great to see an entry from you, Slick. If it doesn't work out, though, it doesn't work out. Darth Real Life can be a real bitch. Let me know if I can do anything :hugs: