Page 75 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2565717273747576777879 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1188

Thread: Get fit and healthy with the Senate!

Default Re: Get fit and healthy with the Senate!

I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight. Would like to shed at least 10 more pounds.
    And I'm not really back to my pre-pregnancy shape - would like to reclaim that to some extent.

Let's see here... to recap the past couple weeks...

Ran for about an hour on the bike path by my folks' house.
    Backpacked around Taquamenon Falls State Park.
    Swam in Lake Superior a couple times.
    Ran about ten miles in Porcupine Mountains State Park and felt like I was going to die, mostly due to the terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Swam in Lake Superior a couple times.
    Freezy!

^ It wasn't all that bad actually. Chilly, but not the hypothermia inducing horror that it's known to be.

Did about an hour of a spur of the moment full body workout. Arms are fried and everything else isn't far behind.

July 17 - Nice, slow 11 miler this evening. Felt great from beginning to end.
    Last edited by Slick; 08-17-2012 at 01:16 AM.

Due to not being able to sleep, I decided to go run. 2 hours and 41 minutes and about 14-15 miles later the verdict was in that it was not a good idea. Oh well.

And....I'm back. Sort of.
    My job relocated in late June, leaving me with an hour commute, each way, 5 days a week. Thus, my pre-work run has disappeared. Sorry, just not motivated to get out there when it's so friggin' dark! And forget about after work. Never was in the mood before the move, DEFINATELY not interested now. Ugh.
    On the bright side, I have carved out a little time before work to get some push-ups and ab work done. And when I have time on days off, I'm trying to get out for a sporadic run.
    "Oh, what the :censored: happened to this world? There's only one trilogy, you :censored: morons."

My Running Diaries of Star Wars: OT ; TPM ; AOTC ; ROTS

PSN ID: RollaFett

Hello everyone.

Been running here and there, but not enough to say so. I did win second place in the "Best Holiday Sweater" category at a 5K I ran a couple weeks ago though with a friend.

Blog Entries

I'll be honest I've done bugger all for exercise for a long time, but with pending nuptials coming up quicker than I'd like I'll be getting on big time from later this week!
    I will go to the animal shelter and get you a kitty cat. I will let you fall in love with that kitty cat; and then on some dark cold night, I will steal away into your home, and punch you in the face

Lazy as hell lately. Well, not entirely true. I did knock out a few runs during my time off around the holidays, but overall, since late June....I been bad.
    Well, tonight after work I knocked out some situps and pushups, and no matter how dark it is tomorrow morning, I WILL get out there for a run.
    "Oh, what the :censored: happened to this world? There's only one trilogy, you :censored: morons."

^ And I did. In fact, it was the first of three runs in the last week. Only 3 miles for each, but I'll take it. Simply not enough time to do more, and the early morning darkness doesn't make it any easier. But I gotta say, man, it felt great getting back out there! Plus, I've also included a pretty regular situp/pushup regimen as well. Not a ton of each, but enough to make a difference as long as I keep it consistent.

Is anyone else here using My Fitness Pal? I've been using it since November. I've known for several years that my biggest problem is just that I eat too much (I love food!). It's a fairly easy way to keep my eating under control.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    Last edited by Luvinna; 01-21-2013 at 11:41 PM.
    EUDF Admiral - Retired
    Little Thompson Observatory

5.58 mile run followed by 100 situps, 50 pushups, and a trip up a rope.

Had a 25K planned, but my running partner got a nasty cramp around 20K so we stopped and walked the rest of the way. Fun for all.

Blog Entries

If Rolla ever sees this and he probably won't because he;s hardly here anymore, but I am a jogging beginner and was wondering if you could give advice for me?

And this is my second day of my aim to lose 40 to 50 pounds. Basically I am doing a low carb diet. No sugar, no alcohol(this sucks, but only for a little while) and no bread. All I do is count my net carbs which can't go over 25 a day. It's actually pretty easy. I will do this probably for a couple of months and then slowly add certain thing back to maintain weight once I lose what I need. I've done this before and believe me it works even if you don't exercise.

But I really want to start a jogging program. It is good fro everything really, Cardio, fat burning. I also am going to do some weight lifting. Not too much but some.

This is day two for me.

Damn, I am hardly here anymore, aren't I? And hell, is that even proper phrasing? Beats me. The demands of a newborn really curtail online time, that's for damned sure.

Anyway, I am here now Javen! Well, sounds like you know what you're doing as far as dieting goes....good for you. That's one aspect that I always do very poorly. As for jogging, oh, do I miss it so.

So, it seems as though you haven't started anything yet, right? If that's the case, I'd recommend starting slow....very slow. Not speed as much as distance. A stopwatch of some type will probably be a big help, especially at first. I always wind up running around my neighborhood. It's a benefit if the jog really takes a lot of you to be close to home.

- I always do some light stretching beforehand, and sometimes after. I'd recommend always doiing it befroe and after if you're just starting out. Take care of your thighs and calves. If any area gives me trouble, it's usually those.
    - Try some really light jogging for approximately 5 minutes (this will probably wind up equaling close to a half mile), then ease into a brisk walk for another 5 minutes.
    - If you're not already exhausted, go back to jogging and try another 5 minutes. After that, I'd recommend stopping and going home.

If that seems too light, just remember that you don't usually do this and your body surely isn't used to it. Last thing you want is to go too far and be stiff & sore for the next few days afterward. now, assuming the light routine doesn't make you stiff & sore, which hopefully it shouldn't, repeat that same routine either the next day or the day after. A day's break in between is fine, especially for a beginner.
    If, after a couple of days with that routine, you're feeling fine....extend the jog time by a couple of minutes while decreasing the walking break in between. Instead of 5 minutes on/5 minutes off, go for 7-8 mnutes on/3-4 minutes off. Keep up this routine for no more than a couple of weeks and I bet you'll be more than ready to cut out the break entirely and run for 15-20 minutes uninterupted. Maybe longer. The point in the early days is to not overdo it. What I've always found when I've been on an extended break from running is that i can't pick up where I left off. even if I've only slacked off for as little as 3-4 weeks, I'll need to ease myself back into things. Now, since I have a history of running, my body gets back into the swing of things pretty quickly, but I still will not try to do more than a couple of miles the first couple of times back. And that's where you are right now....a REALLY long extended break, so you need to take it easy even more at first.
    And don't worry about speed/pace. Go as fast as what you're comfortable with. If you're unsure of how far you've ran, well, there are mulltiple tools to help with that from smartphone apps to pedometers. What I like is this map feature from the USa Track & Field website: http://www.usatf.org/routes/search/index_advanced.asp You can map out anywhere you've ran, or want to run and always know just far you've gone. A pedometer will help you know just how fast you are going, if that's important to you. Remember, you're not training for the olympics. Speed should not be a factor. Besides, the more weight you lose, the faster you'll wind up going anyway.

Ok, it feels as though I've entered rambling territory at this point. I hope this was helpful, but also know this, I am not a physical therapist. I can give you advice strictly based on my own experiences. Those experiences may not relate to you AT ALL.

One more thing, you mentioned lifting weights...if you have access to them, great. I've found that pushups and situps do wonders, AND it's not as time consuming. Again, it's something I start out easy and increase over time. For example, I may start with 2 or 3 sets of 10 pushups along with 2 or 3 sets of 20 situps. That takes no more than 5-10 minutes. then the next day< i'll simple add one more rep to each set. Before you know, after a couple of weeks, you've doubled the amount you're doing. Idunno, I like it, but if weights are your thing, go for it. In any event, good luck with it all and try to keep us updated in here how you're doing. And if you have any more questions, don't hesitate. Obviously, I'm not here everyday these days, but I'll try to make a point of checking in more often.

Oh, and thanks to Blizz for letting me know you're were looking for me.