Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34

Thread: MOVIES: Moon

  1. #16
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Yo, over here
    Posts
    17,286
    Blog Entries
    42

    Default Re: MOVIES: Moon

    Thanks for the new recommendations for me to see it, guys. I will seek it out, either by rental or purchase, ASAP.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Yo, over here
    Posts
    17,286
    Blog Entries
    42

    Default Re: MOVIES: Moon

    Well, it is hard to believe that despite my interest and such suburb recommendations in this thread, it has still taken me over a year and a half to finally see this film. However, the delay is now over, as I've just now completed my first viewing of this suburb film. Indeed it was quite slow in the buildup as was mentioned, but slow in a 2001 kind of way rather than one of dullness. I found myself forcing myself to fine-tune my expectations as I watched, reminding myself not to expect a fast-moving action thriller.

    As I've expected, and has been said over and over, it is a cleverly crafted, well made psychological story. I must admit I nodded off a couple of times to my regret, but not out of boredom, but simply that I've been suffering from illness the last several days and was lying in bed trying to stay awake as I watched.

    Though Moon is hardly a just-released film, be aware if you're new to it that the following includes definite spoilers:
    .
    .
    .
    My only confusion, which I soon came to grips with, was which "Sam" was which--which one was the one who awoke in the medical lab, and which one was the one found still in the crashed vehicle. I wasn't sure if the degrading health of the ever-weakening Sam was resulting from the crash, or if it was the end result of all the clones, a side affect of mining the helium 3, and the reason for the need for so many replacement clones as it soon became clear that no "Sam" ever made it home but were merely retired and replaced by new Sams. I did guess before he saw the message from his grown daughter that he had been there for many more years than he had thought, though until the age of the daughter was revealed I surmised that the recycled clones may have been there for decades if not possibly centuries.

    A final thought: When "Sam" finally makes it home and goes to see his teen daughter he is sure to encounter the man she called "Dad". Who might "dad" be? A step-father who replaced the original Sam when that Sam never returned from his original moon mission when the girl was a baby; or perhaps the "Dad" at home is the original "Sam", the "Jango Fett" to all the moon clones? The end of Moon certainly left that in mystery and I would not have minded had the film continued for a few minutes more in order to show us what happens when Sam does return home.

    Yes indeed, this was an excellent, thought-provoking movie. Well done, very well done indeed and I'm very pleased that I finally got to watch it.
    Last edited by Tovor; 06-23-2011 at 05:20 PM.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Norway, Oslo
    Posts
    4,053

    Default Re: MOVIES: Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by Tovor View Post
    Indeed it was quite slow in the buildup as was mentioned, but slow in a 2001 kind of way rather than one of dullness.
    That too me is contradictory, 2001 was the worst kind of slow imaginable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tovor View Post
    Who might "dad" be? A step-father who replaced the original Sam when that Sam never returned from his original moon mission when the girl was a baby; or perhaps the "Dad" at home is the original "Sam", the "Jango Fett" to all the moon clones? The end of Moon certainly left that in mystery and I would not have minded had the film continued for a few minutes more in order to show us what happens when Sam does return home.
    "Dad" is as you said the original Sam, and the Jango comparison is straight on correct here. However we did get to hear what happened when Sam came on, the dialogue from radio stations/TV shows at the very end of the movie.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Yo, over here
    Posts
    17,286
    Blog Entries
    42

    Default Re: MOVIES: Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by Morridini View Post
    That too me is contradictory, 2001 was the worst kind of slow imaginable.
    Granted, I chose a bad comparison.
    I'm going to need to watch all of part of it again. I don't recall hearing the radio transmissions you mentioned at the end.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Yo, over here
    Posts
    17,286
    Blog Entries
    42

    Default Re: MOVIES: Moon

    I was more tired and disoriented when I first watched the film, than I though. I'm watched an encore showing, fittingly on Encore channel now and my high rating is increasing already since I'm wide awake now and feeling better. I understand now that Sam-5 was falling apart not because of the crash but because he was at the end of his clone-model's shelf life. In the recording he glimpsed where an earlier Sam remarked that his hair was falling out, and the same or another version was coughing badly in the video. And that is why they needed so many replacement clones, because they weren't designed to last longer than 3 years.

    "He's either a wacko or an illegal immigrant..." I LOL'd.
    Last edited by Tovor; 06-24-2011 at 12:30 AM.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Mandalore
    Posts
    5,200

    Default Re: MOVIES: Moon

    just got it through lovefilm going to watch it today
    Only The Dead See The End Of War - Plato

    Your Hands Cant Hit What Your Eyes Cant See, Float Like A Butterfly Sting Like a Bee, Rumble Young Man Rumble - Mohammed Ali

  7. #22
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Yo, over here
    Posts
    17,286
    Blog Entries
    42

    Default Re: MOVIES: Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by Cassus Fett View Post
    just got it through lovefilm going to watch it today
    So what were your thoughts on Moon, Cassus?

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,192

    Default Re: MOVIES: Moon

    Like I said in the Last Flicks thread, I'd give it 3/4 stars. Below will be a spoiler-filled discussion:

    SPOILERS

    I wouldn't call the beginning slow. There has to be some build-up to the weird goings-on that occur. Having watched movies like 2001 or Pandorum or Alien, you expect something's going to happen, something strange or frightening, but you don't know what. That's part of the beauty of the first act. You're looking for every little thing that might be a clue. Gradually, you get the impression something's definitely not right. Builds up to that big moment at the end of the first act when Sam discovers himself at the crash.

    I was definitely thinking WTF when the two finally are standing in the room together with one working out, but it wasn't because they looked alike. It was because one seemed to be ignoring the other. I'm thinking, really, you'd act this way after finding another human being who looks exactly like you. Movie almost lost me here, as tonally I wasn't expecting a light approach to this development. The nonchalance later seemed appropriate, as apparently cloning isn't something bizarre in their society/time. And I was disappointed after 10-15 minutes than cloning was the answer and the mystery solved.

    But the movie did a nice job of keeping suspense going in various ways. When they both set out in separate vehicles, I was looking forward to whatever discoveries they'd make. When the older Sam began his search inside and discovered the fate of his predecessors, I loved it. A lot of uncertainty/paranoia about who to trust. With GERTY it was clearly intended we think of HAL, and they knew we'd be doubting it's intentions. At various times, I was. When younger Sam hatches his plan to escape, I wasn't sure I was seeing all the cards and wondered if his intent was more malicious. So a lot of little things like that kept me invested through to the end.

    I do wish the movie was more serious at times. I do wish the ending was more open-ending, or had some kind of bigger reveal/surprise. But it was a solid effort and worth watching.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Yo, over here
    Posts
    17,286
    Blog Entries
    42

    Default Re: MOVIES: Moon

    When the first big reveal came, Sam finding himself in the crashed vehicle, I suspected that the big reveal was going to be time travel and that he had discovered his future self. I had the same WTF when they were working out, and was first confused, and then disappointed when no discussion, no questions, came about. I don't remember the scene with clarity but if I recall my impression, it wasn't only that one was ignoring the other, but that one or both seemed irritated toward each other, like a child would be when they are told to accept another kid in their home and that they had to share their playthings. Your reasoning for their nonchalance hadn't occurred to me. Again it's hazy but the reason for my disappointment at missed dialogue was that we were not shown Sam's reaction to the realization that he was a clone. You took it to mean that cloning was commonplace but I took it later to mean that the clones while being given implanted memories of a life before their 3 year mission, were not given the sense to be able to reason far enough to put the pieces together, which if I remember it, only happened after GERTY took it upon itself to push into motion.

    When younger Sam hatches his plan to escape, I wasn't sure I was seeing all the cards and wondered if his intent was more malicious. So a lot of little things like that kept me invested through to the end.
    I wondered the same thought; that the younger one was tricking the older one to get the moon base to himself, or extend his life past the 3 years, somehow.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,192

    Default Re: MOVIES: Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by Tovor View Post
    Again it's hazy but the reason for my disappointment at missed dialogue was that we were not shown Sam's reaction to the realization that he was a clone.
    I think we did, but it was probably later than either of us had hoped for. Older Sam ended up asking GERTY, who confirmed it, and I think at that point we did see the emotion that came with accepting reality and moving past denial. But, yeah, I would have liked to have seen more of the shock and disbelief of it earlier.

    You took it to mean that cloning was commonplace but I took it later to mean that the clones while being given implanted memories of a life before their 3 year mission, were not given the sense to be able to reason far enough to put the pieces together, which if I remember it, only happened after GERTY took it upon itself to push into motion.
    It seemed like they were capable of it. I was just frustrated that, as you say, they were acting like kids instead of trying to reason it out. First it was the younger one, continuing with his workout instead of talking. Then, later, it was reversed with older Sam goofing off and dancing while the younger was trying to get through to him. Of course, eventually we got there. And Rockwell does humorous scenes well. But my preference for the movie as a whole would have been for more seriousness and creepiness.

    I wondered the same thought; that the younger one was tricking the older one to get the moon base to himself, or extend his life past the 3 years, somehow.
    I also, for a moment, thought GERTY was going to betray them at the very end.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Ospreylia
    Posts
    3,926

    Default Re: MOVIES: Moon

    I think this is a great old-fashioned sf film that deals with classic themes of isolation, corporate distrust and the desolation of lunar environments very well. Rockwell does a great job of acting to himself, and the direction and pace suit the storyline well - a solid indie film.
    I'm also a big fan of Source Code, and can't believe Duncan Jones has opted to direct the Warcraft film - a very bizarre direction imho.
    Fact:
    There are more people in Britain who claim their religion to be 'Jedi' than there are supporters of the Tory party.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Yo, over here
    Posts
    17,286
    Blog Entries
    42

    Default Re: MOVIES: Moon

    Was this the same director as Source Code, cj790?

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,192

    Default Re: MOVIES: Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by Tovor View Post
    Was this the same director as Source Code, cj790?
    Yeah. Moon was his first, Source Code second.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Yo, over here
    Posts
    17,286
    Blog Entries
    42

    Default Re: MOVIES: Moon

    He got off to a very worthy start. The second wasn't so bad either, but his first is the one I'll remember him by.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,192

    Default Re: MOVIES: Moon

    Quote Originally Posted by Tovor View Post
    He got off to a very worthy start. The second wasn't so bad either, but his first is the one I'll remember him by.
    For me, its Source Code, which I saw first and prefer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •