PDA

View Full Version : What does Vader mean?

victrix
03-01-2004, 05:28 PM
According to official (?) sources, Episode III will reveal why Anakin gets the name Vader. Does anyone know what Vader might mean? My theory is that 'Vader' is the Sith for 'Invincible'.

There is a scene in AOTC when Palpatine tells Anakin that he forsees the Padawan as becoming the greatest of all the Jedi and that he will be invincible.

Anakin will prove to be pretty invincible in Episode III when he survives the lava pit or whatever. I can hear it now - Sidious remarking in almost disbelief as Anakin recovers: 'You truly are invincible my young apprentice...'.

Any thoughts on the 'Vader' issue?

Edgeomatic
03-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Vader sort of sounds like invade

Darth_Zaius
03-01-2004, 06:25 PM
I've heard that Vader is Norwegian for 'Father' and Darth sounding like Dark = Dark Father.
But i&#39;m sure you knew that anyway. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

Apparently the final dialogue mirrors Anakins first meeting with the JC in the Menace.
the line about feeling cold is in there somewhere.GL and his mirroring i guess. (read leaked lines on t.f.n. forums)

I kind of agree about the invincible bit. Anakin getting named will be a highlight of ep III. If it&#39;s portrayed as well as the &#39;Tusken confession&#39;
i will be v happy.

JediBendu
03-02-2004, 03:03 AM
moved to general

Queenie
03-03-2004, 12:32 AM
Supposedly it&#39;s "invader", though Georgie ret-conned all that "father" stuff as well.

bulla
03-03-2004, 07:27 AM
I thought that it just sounded cool.

durge
03-03-2004, 07:48 PM
anakin takin the name vader is part of becoming a sith. like dooku takin the name tyrannus

bulla
03-04-2004, 06:46 AM
Like being confirmed&#33;

bous
03-04-2004, 02:09 PM
Ok first of all Vader is Father in dutch, not norwegian.

In the beginning George wanted something that sounded like dark father and used Darth Vader (actually George still believes vader to be a german word instead of dutch).
Over the years the darth part was something used for other Sith as well, so it did start with this dark father stuff but George doesn&#39;t hang on to it as an explanation in the movies, he&#39;ll probably make up something entirely different as a meaning.

I wonder if just the vader part will be explained or if they&#39;ll also explain the darth part.

Obidobi
03-04-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Darth_Zaius@Mar 1 2004, 11:25 PM
I&#39;ve heard that Vader is Norwegian for &#39;Father&#39;
Eh.....Nope...

JMKypDurron
03-04-2004, 11:18 PM
Darth is just short for DARk lord of the siTH

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>I&#39;ve heard that Vader is Norwegian for &#39;Father&#39; and Darth sounding like Dark = Dark Father. [/b][/quote]

im goin with Zaius on this one. i think its the most likely meaning

Edgeomatic
03-05-2004, 09:04 PM
Vader is just a scary name that he made up

Obidobi
03-05-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by JMKypDurron@Mar 5 2004, 04:18 AM
Darth is just short for DARk lord of the siTH

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>I&#39;ve heard that Vader is Norwegian for &#39;Father&#39; and Darth sounding like Dark = Dark Father.

im goin with Zaius on this one. i think its the most likely meaning [/b][/quote]
Vader is not "father" in Norwegian...How do I know you ask? I happens to be a full blooded mean Norwegian dude.... style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/devil.gif

Fader in N.. is "Far"

Queen 'Onna
03-17-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Edgeomatic@Mar 5 2004, 08:04 PM
Vader is just a scary name that he made up
Nah I&#39;m with the Dark Father thing.

bous
06-08-2004, 08:44 AM
Like I said earlier Vader is father in dutch.
It was meant to be a name that sounded/had the meaning of dark father.

I believe that in an early draft there was a father/son relationship, that part wasn&#39;t used for ANH but was later used in ESB.

It was also said that Vader represented the dark father/bad father part and that Obi-Wan represented the good father.
(in the book &#39;empire building&#39; it is said that it was more or less based on George Lucas&#39; father, where Vader represented the bad side of his father and Obi-Wan the good side of his father.

P-Ray
06-08-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Queenie@Mar 2 2004, 11:32 PM
Supposedly it&#39;s "invader"
I like this. It makes sense to me because Vader has been in charge of invading and concurring planets for Palpatine it seems.

Tarkheki JD
06-08-2004, 02:35 PM
I&#39;ve herad about the "father" and about the "invader".... but i&#39;m thinking maybe there will be another fix into it.
"Anakin" is an old American word for "Warrior" so maybe he&#39;ll do something cool with that.

Either way, you can always find cool attachements and variaitons....the more coincidental, the cooler it is&#33; style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif

Greedo Boy
06-08-2004, 05:18 PM
Maybe Lucas had some grand idea when he came up with the name Darth Vader, or maybe not. Many explanations can be created by plugging stuff in. Maybe Lucas just thought it was scary sounding. Who knows? We should just ambush Lucas one day and ask him, maybe he knows...

Acaciah
06-11-2004, 08:09 PM
Vader is Dutch for Father, go look it up in a translation program like babelfish. In the SW universe, I read somewhere that Vader means "Vengeance" in Sith. I hope it&#39;s true, because that would tie it into what Darth Maul says in TPM: "At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi; at last we will have revenge."

Tarkheki JD
06-11-2004, 09:15 PM
Ac, you gotta do something about that anger management of yours... always with the vengance you are. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/y.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif

As I said in my previous post, I still hope they will make a play on "anakin" though... it&#39;s such a handsome name for a person&#33; style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

Acaciah
06-11-2004, 09:18 PM
Would be nice; I had actually never heard that Anakin meant "warrior" though it makes perfect sense for him.

And who says I&#39;m angry? I&#39;ll deck anyone who says I&#39;m angry&#33; style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif

Tarkheki JD
06-11-2004, 09:23 PM
Erm, yes.
Well, It would be realy funny to find otu that "Vader" was sith for "The Whiny One". style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif

Justin
06-11-2004, 10:57 PM
The fact that Vader means father in Dutch is entirely coincidental (besides, I think they pronounce it "vah-der" not "vay-der).

In the original drafts to Star Wars, Darth Vader was a general who died when the Death Star was destroyed. I don&#39;t think the idea for him being Luke&#39;s father was even around at that time. In the first draft of ESB Anakin appeared as a ghost to Luke on Dagobah. Obviously he couldn&#39;t do that and be Darth Vader at the same time.

I think the original idea was what Obi-Wan told Luke in ANH, that Darth Vader was another Jedi who killed Anakin, and then when they were making ESB Lucas decided it would be really cool if he made Vader and Anakin be the same person.

I think the name Vader came from dropping the prefix to "invader," which is what happened with Darth Sidious (obviously taken from "insidious" with the "in" left out).

Acaciah
06-12-2004, 09:51 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Erm, yes.
Well, It would be realy funny to find otu that "Vader" was sith for "The Whiny One". [/b][/quote]

Actually I think it may be Sith for "he who crushes windpipes&#33;"

http://www.journalfen.net/userpic/31775/4494

Acaciah
06-12-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Justin@Jun 11 2004, 08:57 PM
The fact that Vader means father in Dutch is entirely coincidental (besides, I think they pronounce it "vah-der" not "vay-der).

In the original drafts to Star Wars, Darth Vader was a general who died when the Death Star was destroyed. I don&#39;t think the idea for him being Luke&#39;s father was even around at that time. In the first draft of ESB Anakin appeared as a ghost to Luke on Dagobah. Obviously he couldn&#39;t do that and be Darth Vader at the same time.

I think the original idea was what Obi-Wan told Luke in ANH, that Darth Vader was another Jedi who killed Anakin, and then when they were making ESB Lucas decided it would be really cool if he made Vader and Anakin be the same person.

I think the name Vader came from dropping the prefix to "invader," which is what happened with Darth Sidious (obviously taken from "insidious" with the "in" left out).
I&#39;ll have to respectfully disagree; Lucas chooses many of his character names because of cross-cultural meaning. Padme, for example, is the Hindi word for lotus, the symbol of enlightenment. Jinn: Arabian spirits, perhaps animistic, but more probably accurately mythological like the Persian divs. The word is usually translated as meaning approximately elementals although they are fearsome and frequently portrayed as monstrous demons. It is also likely that the word genii comes from Jinn.
(from here) (http://www.occultopedia.com/j/jinn.htm)

I agree that he may well have chosen the pronounciation to sound more like InVader, however, I&#39;ve read early script drafts too, and they are much changed from ANH&#39;s shooting script. I think the idea was in place by then, the novelization for SW, ghost written by Alan Dean Foster states that Obi-Wan is uncomfortable telling Luke about his father. He is unwilling to tell him a "comfortable lie" when he tells of Anakin&#39;s death. Is it possible that it wasn&#39;t set in stone, but he wanted the reference in there, in case he went with it? Sure, that&#39;s part of the creative process. Good writing has meanings on multiple levels, and Lucas has incorporated that into the saga, which is why I enjoy watching the films and reading fellow fans&#39; ideas about them. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/y.gif

Tarkheki JD
06-12-2004, 01:35 PM
You tell&#39;em girl friend&#33;

But i still think it means "the Whiny one". style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif

Acaciah
06-12-2004, 02:16 PM
Perhaps Vader means "Crush your heads, I crush your little heads&#33;"

naberrie_skywalker
06-12-2004, 02:17 PM
Actually I think it may be Sith for "he who crushes windpipes&#33;" style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

I never knew Anakin was a word for warrior..and you are right..that is a handsome name for a handsome man style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/inlove.gif

I dont think the Darth part will be explained...it has pretty much been shown to be sith title...
but I am sure will see some reason why Vader was picked....and whether Palps picks it or Anakin

Qui-Gon Jinn
07-10-2004, 06:48 PM
Vader sounds cool&#33; and that is all that matters style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/giveup.gif

The White Tuxedo
07-11-2004, 04:00 PM
Well, In-Vader is the one I&#39;ve always heard.

But what E-Vader. Evade. Evade death?

Acaciah
07-11-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by The White Tuxedo@Jul 11 2004, 02:00 PM
Well, In-Vader is the one I&#39;ve always heard.

But what E-Vader. Evade. Evade death?
Hmm. Kind of sounds like a website though. Welcome to E-Vader, where we take care of all your Dark Side Service needs&#33;

Incompetent Lietentants got you down?

E-Vader&#33;

Admirals who are as clumsy as they are stupid?

E-Vader&#33;

The White Tuxedo
07-11-2004, 04:12 PM
Where do you get these bog, cool pics? I haven&#39;t that one TF.n. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/giveup.gif

Acaciah
07-11-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by The White Tuxedo@Jul 11 2004, 02:12 PM
Where do you get these bog, cool pics? I haven&#39;t that one TF.n. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/giveup.gif
I probably found it at the Darth Vader Estrogen Brigade (http://www.bastcastle.net/). style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif They&#39;ve got one of the better Vader galleries on the &#39;net.

Seanakin
07-11-2004, 05:30 PM
My question for the DVEB peeps is: Which do they like better, the man, or the machine? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif

Darth Star
07-12-2004, 07:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>But what E-Vader. Evade. Evade death?[/b][/quote]
Hey, someone else thinks like me.

MANVERU
04-04-2005, 08:08 AM
Is their any particular reason to why vader&#39;s name IS vader? I mean to why in the movies, not how GL made it up. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/vader.gif

Talcy
04-04-2005, 08:11 AM
I think it originally meant father. In Dutch, Darth Vader is Dark Vador, which means Dark Father.

I think. I could be completely wrong.

But I&#39;ve no idea why it&#39;s used within the context of the films - I don&#39;t know if Palpatine is aware that Anakin is to be a father and how significant this is.

Bandersnatch
04-04-2005, 10:51 AM
Darths Vader, Sidious and Tyrannus all at least have some kind of literary or poetic allusion.

It&#39;s the name Darth Maul that I can&#39;t quite figure out...

style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/giveup.gif

Talcy
04-04-2005, 11:18 AM
Well, to maul someone is to assault or injure them through peircing or biting - like being mauled by an animal.

I&#39;ve heard Darth Maul be referred to as an animal and a weapon in the past (in the novelisation of ROTS, Dooku&#39;s interminable internal monologues refer to Maul as nothing but an animal) - it was his job to eliminate people for Sidious so I guess the name is appropriate.

Bandersnatch
04-04-2005, 11:28 AM
Ah, yes. The "animal-like" part of the word makes sense.

Thanks&#33;

Bretsch
04-04-2005, 11:33 AM
I read somewhere before that it does come from "father". but I wouldn&#39;t bet on it.

Talcy
04-04-2005, 11:42 AM
I remember Lucas saying this in one of the old making of videos, like Making of a Saga, Classic Creatures or Making of ESB - I specifically remember it because I can still hear him mangling the sentence in my head as he was still a bit shy and reticent back then. But who knows.

bubbha
04-04-2005, 11:51 AM
I always thought "Vader" was inspired by "invader" (like "Sidious" is inspired by "insidious").

Darth seems to me to be a combination of "dark" and "death".

"Dark death invader". Makes sense to me.

Darth Star
04-04-2005, 02:48 PM
I believe that there was a previous thread discussing this very subject.

Though I have some theories, I&#39;ll wait until May for my final answer.

Revan
04-04-2005, 02:56 PM
Vader means father in dutch.And yes,this has been discuted many times before.

Darth Star
04-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Topics are now merged.

Thank you Mods. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

Mothman
04-04-2005, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Talcy@Apr 4 2005, 08:42 AM
I remember Lucas saying this in one of the old making of videos, like Making of a Saga, Classic Creatures or Making of ESB - I specifically remember it because I can still hear him mangling the sentence in my head as he was still a bit shy and reticent back then. But who knows.
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>

I remember the same interview by GL, back in the early &#39;80&#39;s. It is supposed to mean "Dark Father". style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/vader.gif

Ithorian guy
04-04-2005, 04:31 PM
I remember him mentioning something about it in the making of starwars or empire of dreams.

Jedi_Poo
04-04-2005, 04:40 PM
Yeah that is where I heard it too. On that fourth disc that came with the trilogy dvd release.

Sam Kenobi
04-05-2005, 01:34 AM
Funny, I don&#39;t remember anything about that in EoD. But I have heard of the Dark Father thing.

JMAS
04-05-2005, 03:46 AM
All the names seem to have a dark and sinister connotation to them. Such as

Darth Bane. Definition of Bane is A cause of harm, ruin, or death:
Darth Sidious. Sidious is a play on the word INsidious which means Working or spreading harmfully in a subtle or stealthy manner
Darth Maul: Maul means to To injure by or as if by beating
Darth Tyranus: Tyranus is a play on the word Tyranny meaning Extreme harshness or severity; rigor

Then there is Darth Vader. Funny thing is, Vader is the name of a town in the state I live. Vader, WA, USA style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bigsmile.gif

I don&#39;t actually know the word that Vader is a play off of. The word Vader is not a word in and of itself. The word "vade" means To fade; hence, to vanish which doesn&#39;t really fit the theme unless he made the Jedi "vanish" by wiping them out.

In the case of Vader, I think it sounds dark and sinister and as stated by Talcy, Darth Vader means Dark Father in Dutch.

Cassus Fett
04-06-2005, 11:12 AM
what about all the rest of the Sith Lord, not all there names can mean something.

stylo
04-06-2005, 12:41 PM
I think it would make sense that Lucas would&#39;ve used the "father" meaning, since style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/vader.gif is Luke&#39;s father.

JMAS
04-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Well, Darth Bane is also EU, but the rest of the Sith Lords mentioned anywhere are EU, therefore, not canon. Not that I&#39;m dissing the EU, not at all.

QuigonWindu
04-06-2005, 08:22 PM
There are two possible explanations.

Some believe that it&#39;s supposed to be "Dark Father" because Darth Vader, in dutch, means Dark Father.

Some believe that&#39;s just a coincidence and it&#39;s Darth Vader because of the whole "in"vader and "In"sidious thing. (BTW, Darth Sidious is the worst name ever)

The Dark Father thing used to spark some debates on here over Mon Mothma. Some posters (including me) believed that Mon or Mothma could mean mother in some other language. Which would make her Padme.

Sam Kenobi
04-07-2005, 01:20 AM
What about Sidious&#39;s master, Darth . . . Plageis, or something. I suppose it&#39;s EU, but still.

Mothman
04-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by QuigonWindu@Apr 6 2005, 05:22 PM
Some believe that&#39;s just a coincidence and it&#39;s Darth Vader because of the whole "in"vader and "In"sidious thing. (BTW, Darth Sidious is the worst name ever)

It&#39;s not a coincidence. GL said it.

PrincessJoJo
04-08-2005, 06:48 AM
Ok does that mean that for all the dutch people that saw star wars the whole "I am your father" thing was a but of a let down?

Mark Skywalker
04-09-2005, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by Talcy@Apr 4 2005, 03:11 AM
Darth Vader , which means Dark Father.

Whoa I didn&#39;t know that. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/saber.gif

General Nikola
05-03-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Talcy@Apr 4 2005, 10:11 AM
I think it originally meant father. In Dutch, Darth Vader is Dark Vador, which means Dark Father.

I think. I could be completely wrong.

But I&#39;ve no idea why it&#39;s used within the context of the films - I don&#39;t know if Palpatine is aware that Anakin is to be a father and how significant this is.

You are not wrong,&#39;cause I watched a movie on dutch,and I heard &#39;&#39;vader&#39;&#39;,which is translated to &#39;&#39;father&#39;&#39;.(100% shure) style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yes.gif

darth scourge
05-05-2005, 11:06 PM
Whoa all this discussion over a name LOL what I think is great is that all Sith have British accents(excluding vocoders in masks).