PDA

View Full Version : Good News for VHS fans...and the OT Purists...

bigscreensatellite
01-09-2005, 05:42 PM
Since the long overdue release of Star Wars on DVD, the old original Trilogy Video (VHS) tapes have become redundant to many less hardcore fans...which is good news for us collectors and purists...

i have two sets of the original trilogy on VHS already...the original versions from about 1995....then the special editions from 1997....but i was missing many original tapes released before then and these include a lot of 'sleeve' variations, and widescreen editions (I only had eyes for standard view editions back then...!!!)

but since the DVD has come out people have been throwing these 'trasures' out and now these VHS tapes are popping up here in the UK in charity shops and exchanges at super low knockdown prices...

In all honesty these tapes basically have the same versions of the movies on them, but the sleeve variations are various...and i'm begining to gather all the versions of the original triliogy on VHS, just for the sleeves ultimately, but to get the widescreen versions too (as they should be seen)... at 1 - 2 each they are very cheap to get hold of, and the last 4 i bought looked very 'lightly played'...i'm gonna set a tv and video player up in my star wars room and have them on 'repeat play' while i'm working in there!!!

anyone else looking out for these or do you lot have them all already...

and i&#39;d like to know how many different versions (i.e. covers) that there are out there....just so i know how much work i&#39;ve got to do....style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

cheers

Matt

Reel 2/Dialogue 2
01-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Depending on how definitive you&#39;ll want to get, I might be able to help. These are the editions I know to exist of the Trilogy, with year and format.

1. 1983 clamshell (FS, Fox CBS issued)

2. 1987 10th Anniversary (FS, with sticker, this is where I got started)

3. 1990 (WS box set has a hologram sticker and thicker blue box with abridged George Lucas book and Making of Star Wars VHS inside, FS box set is smaller and has a pastiche of poster images, similar tape sleeves inside both; laserdiscs were CLV - similar to VHS EP speed)

4. 1995 Definitive Trilogy CAV (similar to VHS SP) laserdisc (sold only as a box set with bonus disc and unabriged George Lucas book [mine came without the cover style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif] )... THE PINNACLE OF THE THEATRICAL CUT REELEASES, and relatively cheap on "Buy It Now" eBay prices). Can&#39;t quite remember what VHS version were made (but I&#39;m sure I have them).

5. 1997 Special Edition (WS had a silver half-face Vader box, FS had a a gold half-face Vader box... that sounds familiar style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif - put the two together to form a full Vader face - tape sleeve faces of A New Hope "Vader", Empire Strikes Back "Stormtrooper", and Return of the Jedi "Yoda"; CAV laserdisc set was limited edition preorders with silver half-face Vader and metal logo badge inside - THE PINNACLE OF SPECIAL EDITION RELEASES, considering they were the only lasers made for this Trilogy version)

6. 2000 (WS with plastic overlay box showing starfighter images from each side of inner box, FS with plastic overlay box showing Vader, Yoda, and Threepio on each side of inner box; tape sleeves show character montage art)

Odd that there aren&#39;t any VHS Original Trilogy releases.

Could someone PLEEEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSE tell me if Attack of the Clones made it to laserdisc? I&#39;ve been looking everywhere for it&#33;

Kent
01-11-2005, 09:52 AM
theres the 1995 THX VHS clamshell

RollaFett
01-12-2005, 12:56 AM
I know that I have the widescreen SE from &#39;97, and some other version from the late 80&#39;s to early 90&#39;s.

Reel 2/Dialogue 2
01-12-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Kent@Jan 11 2005, 10:52 AM
theres the 1995 THX VHS clamshell
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>

Yep, I knew a few entries would slip past me. I believe the clamshell was a Toys R Us exclusive when preordered with the VHS. Or... that might be Phantom Menace. I&#39;ll have to check (I know I have it here somewhere)...

RollaFett
01-15-2005, 10:42 AM
What the hell does &#39;clamshell&#39; mean?

Horse_Head
01-15-2005, 01:09 PM
Packaging, usually clear plastic that opens/closes like a clam