PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Models

brookie
10-07-2004, 04:23 PM
So, latley i have been wondering about star wars models. do any of you collect/build any? which was the hardest one to buid? which one was youre favorite to build? which one looks the coolest? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/jangofett.gif

stormtrooper9
10-07-2004, 04:28 PM
The olny ohe I have is a ATST I got from the dollor store a few years ago nerve could put it toghter.

darthimmus
10-07-2004, 04:55 PM
I built a Falcon model years ago. It was pretty hard and one of the first models I ever put together. It started to fall apart on me, so it was the last model I ever attempted. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif

Sabrina Fried
10-08-2004, 08:51 AM
I built an X-wing, Tydirium and Falcon with removable panels so you could actually see the interior a number of years ago. The X-wing turned out the best though. Now unfortunetly I am in a smaller apartment and don&#39;t have anywhere to display them style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif

Sabrina

T-bone
10-08-2004, 10:16 AM
http://www.starwarz.com/modelshop

T-bone
12-09-2004, 09:28 AM
http://english.daralhayat.com/ET/12-2004/2....txt/story.html (http://english.daralhayat.com/ET/12-2004/20041208-APAP_1135963.txt/story.html)

Sam Kenobi
12-09-2004, 12:40 PM
Bummer. Let him build his sandcrawler&#33;

Tresk Im'nel
12-30-2004, 03:19 AM
I&#39;ve got the Fine Molds 1:72 scale X-wing and Jedi Starfighter kits. They&#39;re excellent kits but they&#39;re pretty expensive compared to other kits, and hard to find in North America. If they were cheaper and easier to find I&#39;d probably have built multiple X-wings in different markings, maybe even Anakin&#39;s modified Starfighter and a baseline Delta-7 without the modifications made to the Jedi version...

I&#39;ve also got the AMT 1:48 scale Naboo N-1 Starfighter.

I read in a hobby magazine that AMT are going to be re-releasing a bunch of their old SW kits to tie in with ROTS next year. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif Unfortunately, the A-wing apparently isn&#39;t one of them. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif Oh, well, the Snowspeeder, B-wing and Millennium Falcon are. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif I think the Snowspeeder is 1:48 and the B-wing and &#39;Falcon are 1:72, IIRC.

Here&#39;s the January lineup, but I gather more are to follow, including unspecifed ROTS subjects... style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

http://www.ertltoys.com/brand/amt/2004/pm_star_wars.shtml

Hmm, if they&#39;re announcing them piecemeal, maybe there&#39;s still hope of the A-wing being reissued... Maybe even the Lambda-class Shuttle? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif

Jediwan
12-30-2004, 05:40 PM
I had a X-wing but a kid who was isiting broke it. Really pissed me off.

Tresk Im'nel
01-13-2005, 06:38 AM
Yesterday I picked up a copy of the 1997 AMT/Ertl Imperial TIE Fighters kit. It&#39;s a pretty nice kit, apparently much better than the old TIE Interceptor kit, based on the reviews at starshipmodeller.com. What also kind of neat is that the kit includes two complete TIE Fighters (and a dual stand with a Death Star base, which will go in my spares box... style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif), but rather than building two TIE Fighters, I&#39;m planning to convert the second to a TIE Vanguard:

http://www.decipher.com/starwars/cardlists...ievanguard.html (http://www.decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/anewhope/dark/large/tievanguard.html)

And when the reissue of that TIE Interceptor kit comes out, I&#39;m planning a TIE Interceptor (detailed and accurised where needed), a TIE Defender and a Chiss Clawcraft. Great thing about the AMT kits, they&#39;re so much cheaper than Fine Molds... style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif

Speaking of starshipmodeller.com, it&#39;s a great reference for anyone interested in SF modelling:

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/starwars/starwars_ships.htm

Dani_Maul
01-22-2005, 11:45 AM
I picked up an old TIE interceptor kit a month back, it looks pretty good...I hate painting them though&#33;

Anguirus111
01-25-2005, 06:07 PM
I had an old Battle of Hoth model kit(I forget which company made it), but I never really got into the painting aspect of it so after awhile of staring at white walkers with white snowspeeders and everything being white I just gave up on it altogether. That was the only model I ever bothered making, I just stopped buying them after that.

Tresk Im'nel
01-29-2005, 08:09 AM
The first two AMT reissues arrived at the hobby shop yesterday. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif The AT-AT and the snap-together X-wing. I&#39;m afraid the X-wing is quite a disappointment, poorly detailed and quite inaccurate. Oh, well, I gather the (approximately) 1:48 scale kit due for reissue next month is apparently quite good (judging from some of the built-up kits I&#39;ve seen pics of, I&#39;m fairly optimistic). The AT-AT, on the other hand is a very good kit, IMHO. It&#39;s an odd scale (I think it was supposed to be 1:72, but if that&#39;s the case they seem to have used the 15.5 m height quoted in most official sources, which really doesn&#39;t work if you look at the film visuals), but I can live with that because there&#39;s nothing in particular that I&#39;d want to display next to an AT-AT in constant scale. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif Other than that, the only weak points are the (rather heavy) raised panel lines and the opaque windscreen, both of which I can live with, and both of which can be corrected without too much difficulty.

style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

Ithorian guy
02-03-2005, 09:16 PM
ive had the estes death star 1, tie interceptor, ep. 1 MTT, ep. 1 Republic cruiser, and AT-ST, the interceptor was my favorite out of them

Sam Kenobi
02-04-2005, 05:18 AM
I don&#39;t know if this is considered a model, well, at least not one you build. I&#39;ve seen the Code 3 Collectibles Millenium Falcon, X-Wing, and Slave I, but I really want the . . . what do ya call those. The Troop Transport/Airspeeder thingies. That looks awesome&#33;

Ithorian guy
02-04-2005, 07:52 AM
i would call them very detailed die-cast replicas

Sam Kenobi
02-04-2005, 07:19 PM
The Republic Gunship. That&#39;s what it&#39;s called. But it&#39;s almost a model . . .

Tresk Im'nel
02-06-2005, 03:10 AM
I&#39;d say any die-cast replica or model rocket counts as a model. Although my interest tends to be limited to unassembled plastic kits.

And I really wish there were one of the Republic Gunship (LAAT/i for true geeks like me... style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif).

I hope the Snowspeeder and Millennium Falcon are in stock soon. They already have them at stevenshobby.com, but I usually don&#39;t order online...

Rob
02-07-2005, 08:42 PM
I built almost evey kit I could get a hold of in college, and still have a flight display speeder bike if I ever start again.

They&#39;re getting ready to release all the AMT/ERTL kits from the early/mid 90s, so here&#39;s a quick rundown:

* Millennium Falcon - Good kit, but needs improvement (there&#39;s a website that sells resin upgrades). The Cutaway Falcon sucked
* Snowspeeder - Fantastic kit, I did this one three times, simply great.
* AT-AT - Bah, this was fun, but too small.
* AT-ST - Again, fun, but too small
* Star Destroyer - Not too great, just a few quick glues and you&#39;re done
* X-Wing - Fantastic, the flight display kit was great too.
* Vader&#39;s TIE-Fighter - Not too great, didn&#39;t like it.
* Speeder Bike - Still haven&#39;t completed one
* TIE Interceptor - Loved this kit
* B-Wing - Loved it, still have it.
* Slave I - Perhaps one of the best kit, but horrible seam lines.

I&#39;ll post more later.

Tresk Im'nel
02-18-2005, 04:06 AM
starshipmodeller.com has a great article on building a TIE Bomber using the same materials as the studio models (which used the wing panels and cockpit glazing from the Darth Vader&#39;s TIE Fighter kit):

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/projects/scrtieb.htm

Neat article, although I think I&#39;ll scratchbuild instead of cannibalising the Saturn V and armour kits, I&#39;m too cheap and it goes agains my "waste not, want not" mentality. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif The donor TIE X1 kit could be converted to a TIE Avenger, though, so I have no problem there.... style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif (Actually, that works out beautifully, because the main differences between the TIE Avenger and Vader&#39;s TIE are the wings and cockpit glazing... style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif)

Tresk Im'nel
02-25-2005, 03:56 AM
BTW, are the X-wing kit&#39;s panel lines raised or engraved? I know the snap kit&#39;s are raised, but some of the pics of the original kit look like they have (heavily) engraved panel lines. I&#39;m wondering because the Darth Vader&#39;s TIE Fighter kit has engraved panel lines, which was a very pleasant surprise given that it&#39;s a 1970s kit.

Sam Kenobi
02-25-2005, 03:59 AM
I seem to be on an eBay frenzy; I believe there were some models on their, seemed like good deals. Someone should check &#39;em out.

empire21
02-26-2005, 06:58 AM
Had an X-wing, it looked like crap whan I was finished, so in the trash it went.

Rob
02-28-2005, 05:36 PM
The X-Wing panel lines were a combination of raised and lowered. If I remember correctly they were raised on the main section and on the wings, but some parts had engraved ones. They weren&#39;t too deep. The seam lines were a bit strange, but that&#39;s expected from the older kits.

I have the Flight Display Speeder bike if someone wants to purchase it off of me. In the box, still in the shrink wrap too. Email me at rob@dunesea.com if you wish to pick it up.

Tresk Im'nel
12-16-2005, 11:05 PM
I just picked up the new AMT Eta-2 Actis Jedi interceptor today: style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/starwars/amtjedi.htm

I also managed to get ahold of a couple copies of the Revell Germany Venator-class Star Destroyer kit from the StarshipModeler.com shop back in October (it&#39;s hard to get the Revell Germany Star Wars kits in North America because of the way the LFL licensing agreements are set up):

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/starwars/vc_repdest.htm

Both great kits, a real step up from most of the old AMT Original Trilogy kits, although maybe not quite up to the same standards as the FineMolds kits... (Although the Revell Germany Star Destroyer is pretty close...)